Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: School Me on Shotguns

Have a question but didn't wanna start another thread:

Any of y'all ever have a problem with your middle finger getting banged-up from shooting? Mine's still partly swollen from last Wednesday. Had to shoot a few 3.5"'s because that's all Walmart had, but still seems odd that the bigger shell would make THAT much difference.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

My guess would be that you have your trigger hand too far forward on the stock and have too much of your trigger finger on the trigger. If you will pull the trigger with the pad between the last joint and the fingertip, you should have enough space between the trigger guard and your middle finger to prevent any damage.

I'm not even sure how that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So what's the difference in a $800 shotgun and an $1,800 shotgun? I'm guessing weight, but what else?
    That’s like Bentley vs Ford question. Your topic is a Ford vs Chevy or Mercury vs Yamaha question. Your gun will kill any decoying ducks you get to hunt in SC. Spend some money on shells and go shoot the piss out if it and get good with it. You’ll be fine. If you start going a lot and like it look to pick up a used Beretta Extrema or A 400. I’ve shot the shit out of mine for 15 plus years in Canada. It has performed flawlessly. But for perspective I just bought a 20 ga 870 when I got back from Canada this year. I shot right beside a guy with one this year hunting layout blinds in Canada with shots from 5 feet to 50 plus yards. He shot and killed every bird I’d consider or did also shoot. I’d spend my money on good jacket and waders if I were starting out.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Just realized I’m too late. Never mind.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

This sounds like a fit issue. I had the same problem with a shotgun I had years ago. The grip area was not suited for a my larger size hand. A properly fitting shotgun should put the last pad of your index finger on the trigger and pulling straight back. If grip area is too short you will be able to wrap your finger around the trigger which puts your middle finger right behind the trigger guard. So recoil will pound your middle finger. Shooting high recoiling shells with a jacket will exacerbate the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Have a question but didn't wanna start another thread:

Any of y'all ever have a problem with your middle finger getting banged-up from shooting? Mine's still partly swollen from last Wednesday. Had to shoot a few 3.5"'s because that's all Walmart had, but still seems odd that the bigger shell would make THAT much difference.
    At what, pray tell, were you shooting 3.5" shells?

Take those 3.5" shells and stick them in a drawer somewhere and forget about them or give them to some heybo at the boat landing. Get some 2 3/4" #4s and go kill stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    At what, pray tell, were you shooting 3.5" shells?
    Velociraptors.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I would like to see the fricker that invented the Browning 10 gauge tried at Nuremberg for crimes against humanity. Or at least have him pay for my shoulder surgery. Damn at the things that gun could do to ducks that nobody should have been doing in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Take those 3.5" shells and stick them in a drawer somewhere and forget about them or give them to some heybo at the boat landing. Get some 2 3/4" #4s and go kill stuff.
    As long as the ducks are 25 yards and in. Otherwise that's horrible advice.

Be a helluva lot better hunting around here if everybody kept ‘em within 25-30yds!

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    As long as the ducks are 25 yards and in. Otherwise that's horrible advice.
    That's probably why I suck at duck hunting.