Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me on Shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    3.5” is basically not necessary at all in my opinion. Hammered geese for a week in October with 3” #2’s.

I bought a used SB2 on here a year or two ago and it has performed flawlessly, even with light loads.
    As someone else said here, cry once. If you can find a good one used it basically will retain the value you pay for it so you could always turn around and sell it if you dont like it. Benelli, Beretta. One shotgun could last you a lifetime of shooting recreationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know where you were hammering geese in October but it wasn't in sc. I've never shot lesser canadas but snows and specks will fold up like a wet paper sack with ease. These damn magnum honkers we have in sc can take a beating. I most definitely shoot 3 & 1/2 when hunting geese and still have to finish off 50% with a swat.

Default School Me on Shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I don't know where you were hammering geese in October but it wasn't in sc. I've never shot lesser canadas but snows and specks will fold up like a wet paper sack with ease. These damn magnum honkers we have in sc can take a beating. I most definitely shoot 3 & 1/2 when hunting geese and still have to finish off 50% with a swat.
    Not in SC. When they are feet down 30yds out 3” works just fine. Choot em in da face

Last edited by Islandguy85; 11-17-2019 at 06:52 PM.

These damn magnum honkers we have in sc can take a beating. I most definitely shoot 3 & 1/2 when hunting geese and still have to finish off 50% with a swat.
    Heavy shot #6s or #4s and the large geese will have a bad day.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-17-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Not in SC. When they are feet down 30yds out 3” works just fine. Choot em in da face

Shit...at 30 yards these big geese we got will soak up the shot like a house cat, wave, and check out!

Shit...at 30 yards these big geese we got will soak up the shot like a house cat, wave, and check out!
    I can help you out with your problems if you would like

In my experience, if you shoot them in the head, their ass dies immediately. Vice versa, not so much.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So what's the difference in a $800 shotgun and an $1,800 shotgun? I'm guessing weight, but what else?
    You can come on here and tell us about your new shotgun. Should also get a $500 jacket to go with it.

Probably been more shit killed with an 870 pump, but then you might not be able to put a salt life sticker on your truck, with confidence that is.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Some of the newer Remington stuff does not have the best reputation.

My V3 has performed flawlessly so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Heavy shot #6s or #4s any and large geese will have a bad day.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    This man gets it. By the time you spend the extra money on the kill shots and birds that flew away despite you hitting them in the face you coulda just bought the good stuff and been done, with less heartache, cussing and fussing.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-17-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I have a Beretta A3901 semi that has never failed me and I shot it exclusively for 10 years I will sell you for $325. You will never find more gun for that price.
    PM sent.

Oh, and what's the difference between the A300 and the A400? Is the A400 just a newer version? The price difference suggests there's more to it than just that...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Oh, and what's the difference between the A300 and the A400? Is the A400 just a newer version? The price difference suggests there's more to it than just that...
    I have both, my youngest shoots an A300 sporting and I've got A400's in 20 and 12. They are both fine guns and either would serve your purpose well. They have different choke systems, the A400's have the supposedly "better" Optima HP where the A300 has the old Mobil choke system. The A400's are a little easier to disassemble and reassemble, less moving parts, better fit and finish, etc. The wood guns are gonna have higher grade wood, but if you're going synthetic that will be a non issue.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 11-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

it's a 1x purchase. look at the cost over 5 or 10 years. get something quality and keep it forever. if you are going for cheap take up bottom fishing
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

That Betetta from Woodie would be your best bet to start out with...

Just shoot your Mossberg until you figure out if its something you are going to do more than a year. If you point it at the right spot it will do the same thing as all of them. I watched a certain member on here hammer ducks with a 20 gauge Mossberg pump well into his late teens and my old 870 killed more ducks than all the fancy guns I have now. It also served as a paddle and a walking stick and so on. I'm sure Capt Tom still remembers what it looked like when I took it to him to get it dipped. Don't over think it. I would probably buy Woodiewackers 391 though. As a matter of fact, Woodiewacker, can i get seconds on that if Black Bart doesn't want it?
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    Just shoot your Mossberg until you figure out if its something you are going to do more than a year. If you point it at the right spot it will do the same thing as all of them. I watched a certain member on here hammer ducks with a 20 gauge Mossberg pump well into his late teens and my old 870 killed more ducks than all the fancy guns I have now. It also served as a paddle and a walking stick and so on. I'm sure Capt Tom still remembers what it looked like when I took it to him to get it dipped. Don't over think it. I would probably buy Woodiewackers 391 though. As a matter of fact, Woodiewacker, can i get seconds on that if Black Bart doesn't want it?
    It’s a 3901 but very similar to a 391. And it’s really not for sale I was just going to help him get into the game we all love for a good price. I shot an 870 as a kid and cut lawns to buy it as my first semi.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    It’s a 3901 but very similar to a 391. And it’s really not for sale I was just going to help him get into the game we all love for a good price. I shot an 870 as a kid and cut lawns to buy it as my first semi.
    Basically a hybrid between the older 390 and newer 391. Story is told that they had a surplus of 390 parts when they went to market with the 391, hence the 3901. The 3901 has the gas system of the older 390 but with a 391 receiver(rounded) and larger forearm(product of the 390 gas system). Basically it is a 391 from the receiver back and a 390 from the receiver forward. 390 gas systems are to me much easier to clean the the newer 391 system. Great guns no matter how they are put together. 3901 and 390 parts are interchangeable for the most part.

I have many Beretta offerings from A301/303s(same as Browning B80) to 390s to 391s to A400s....I cannot find a fault with any of them.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-19-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Ain't nothing wrong with a 3901, it's not pretty, but there's nothing wrong with it.

I bought a Benelli Vinci used about 5 years ago and I'm glad I did. I got a great deal on it from a friend but I could probably sell it for what I got in it. It fits me which I think is the most important factor vs brand/model. Shoots 3" shells and never had an issue cycling. Cleaning it is also easy when it breaks down into two main parts.

Started with a Benelli Nova to see if I was really into the sport. Pumps are fine for 99% of any actual hunting situation.

Seeing a Nova out in the field literally hurts my heart.