Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me on Shotguns

Default School Me on Shotguns

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I have an opportunity to do a good bit of duck hunting this year. Y'all provided a ton of good info regarding waders, so please tell me what I need to know about a first (waterfowl) shotgun. I have a cheap Mossberg 20-gauge I got as a present several years ago, but I'm sure that won't cut it (no pun intended). Who makes a decent shotgun that won't cost me a kidney? As usual, thanks in advance.

Cry once. Don't buy a cheap gun. Most duck hunters I know shoot Beretta or Benelli. I prefer the old Auto-5.

Beretta A300 if you are on a budget

Franchi affinity is a good one and pretty common. Some of the newer Remington stuff does not have the best reputation. I did pick up a 20 gauge 870 a few years ago that hasn't had any issues. You could always go the used route too and find a benelli, beretta, or browning for decent price. Some models can shoot 3.5" shells, but that isn't necessary for ducks. Some people say not even necessary for geese, but I don't have any experience with them myself. I'm sure others will have more help but the franchi would definitely be worth a good look, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Beretta A300 if you are on a budget
    This

And in before someone tells him to get a 870 pump.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-17-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Winchester SX3 is an affordable, reliable gun.

The SX4 is out now as well but there is no mechanical difference between the two
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Franchi affinity is a good one and pretty common. Some of the newer Remington stuff does not have the best reputation. I did pick up a 20 gauge 870 a few years ago that hasn't had any issues. You could always go the used route too and find a benelli, beretta, or browning for decent price. Some models can shoot 3.5" shells, but that isn't necessary for ducks. Some people say not even necessary for geese, but I don't have any experience with them myself. I'm sure others will have more help but the franchi would definitely be worth a good look, IMO.
    3.5” is basically not necessary at all in my opinion. Hammered geese for a week in October with 3” #2’s.

I bought a used SB2 on here a year or two ago and it has performed flawlessly, even with light loads.
    As someone else said here, cry once. If you can find a good one used it basically will retain the value you pay for it so you could always turn around and sell it if you dont like it. Benelli, Beretta. One shotgun could last you a lifetime of shooting recreationally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy my 10ga sp-10 in trading post and youll be best duck hunter around
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I've got a Winchester sxp that has been a great gun so far. I'll put it to the test here in a couple weeks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Remington 870

Buy an OU with 30” barrels, that way you can do clays or anything else. You can even get an ugly synthetic stock on one these days. But yes, buy once cry once.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’ve got a couple benellis. Sometimes on a colder morning and woh a lighter load they will be slow to cycle or not cycle completely. Also the grip cap just fell out of my m2 in the field so I have to get benelli to send me one ASAP. Gun isn’t even a year old so that’s frustrating

Another vote for the a300 beretta

So what's the difference in a $800 shotgun and an $1,800 shotgun? I'm guessing weight, but what else?

Two years ago I bought a benelli m2 and love it. Use to shoot Remington 1187 and an 870 before that. M2 hasn’t jammed or let me down yet.
    867-5309

Also I bought the M2 at Anglers in Moncks corner for $700-$800. Can’t remember but it was on sale.
    867-5309

Go to a store, and see which gun feels most comfortable when you shoulder it.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Stoeger m3000 is a decent gun for the money, and I have never had one hang up on me.

I own 2 of them.

For somebody getting into duck hunting, remember, any shotgun that fires, and any 2.3/4 inch steel shot shell will bring a duck down inside 40 yards.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So what's the difference in a $800 shotgun and an $1,800 shotgun? I'm guessing weight, but what else?
    Quality.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I murdered the hell out of them in my younger days with a Stevens 311 SxS 12 with double triggers choked full and mod. $100 pawn shop gun. You don't need an $1800 or $800 shotgun to hunt.
    Find any 870 at least 10 years old and go kill em with awesome reliability and easy take down for cleaning. $250 used all day long.
    Yes- I have a Benelli and love it, but I can do 100% same with an 870 express.