Thread: Rod holder ideas

Default Rod holder ideas

I tried putting one of those two-piece plastic/foam rod holders horizontally along the sidewalls on the high tide and because of the curve in the boat, it wouldn’t stay flush. I was thinking of mounting a pvc one piece rod holder vertically against the back bench but I really don’t want a handful of rods standing up while I’m cruising. especially in the back around the motor area.
    Does anyone have any mounts that worked or any other ideas ? I hate being in a boat with equipment bouncing around.
    Last edited by duckz; 11-17-2019 at 08:55 AM.

You can get a piece of starboard and bevel it to match the curve then mount to it.
    To make what you have work you can cut your rod holder between the inserts and epoxy each piece in independently allowing it to follow the curve better.

I would also recommend against the plastic/foam holder and get something this a strap on the outside to secure the rods from Bouncing out if going horizontal.

I use a 5 rod vertical mounted on the gun box. It also holds knives and pliers . The vertical orientation keeps them from getting tangled and bouncing all over.

What is your reasoning for no vertical holders? If you are around trees in the river, I understand but most bridges are tall enough for a little boat to slide under even with 7ft rods. For the ones that aren't, it's quick to drop them and put back up.

I feel like in a small-medium boat, the horizontal holders lead to reels and rods taking a beating from legs and feet.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    I use a 5 rod vertical mounted on the gun box. It also holds knives and pliers . The vertical orientation keeps them from getting tangled and bouncing all over.

What is your reasoning for no vertical holders? If you are around trees in the river, I understand but most bridges are tall enough for a little boat to slide under even with 7ft rods. For the ones that aren't, it's quick to drop them and put back up.

I feel like in a small-medium boat, the horizontal holders lead to reels and rods taking a beating from legs and feet.
    I prefer horizontal as it keeps the unused rods out of the way, a blessing with a new caster or a requirement when fly fishing. I think it also helps prevent rods breaking as the whole rod is out of the way when stored.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 11-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I prefer horizontal as it keeps the unused rods out of the way, a blessing with a new caster or a requirement when fly fishing. I think it also helps prevent rods breaking as the whole rod is out of the way when stored.
    Forgot about fly rods, have tubes on the flats boat for them.

Depends on the fishing style too. Verticals can a pain when throwing artificials or casting live shrimp for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    You can get a piece of starboard and bevel it to match the curve then mount to it.
    To make what you have work you can cut your rod holder between the inserts and epoxy each piece in independently allowing it to follow the curve better.

I would also recommend against the plastic/foam holder and get something this a strap on the outside to secure the rods from Bouncing out if going horizontal.
    I had thought about that, what else could I use if I can’t find anyone with scrap board? I could fiberglass a piece of wood I suppose, but that’s a lot of work for this small project. I haven’t bought the holders yet, I just used the one that I have on my garage wall as a tester, so yea I will look for a strap style if they have a small enough one to hold 3/4 rods.
    I have an extra tube of 4200, that should work fine to glue the backing board or starboard against the sidewall right?
    Last edited by duckz; 11-17-2019 at 07:21 PM.

Good thing I measured.. I have just under 7’ on the sidewalk between the bench and front platform.
    That 7’6” rod is going to have to lean on the or I’m going to have to figure something out

I would NOT use 4200 to adhere starboard.

You could put in a rod tube either into the front deck or the bench for the extra length. You can shape a core of wood or foam then glass over it to create horizontal rod holders that form to the curved gunnel.

There are a TON of ways to overthink and over engineer these rod holders onto the boat but at the end of the day its a 15ft boat. Put on some vertical rod holders either in the back or against the front bulkhead and if you absolutely cannot stand them worry about it then.

Just send Palmetto Trooper a message he can make you one better than you could even find.