Thread: John Deere Gator

Default John Deere Gator

I am going to look at a slightly used Gator 625 this afternoon to purchase. Anyone have anything positive or negative on the Gators compared to a Ranger 570 or something similar? Seems like it may be more difficult to find parts for the Gator? Thanks.

Think feets went with the gator vs ranger.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I bought my 825 this time last year and have been very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Got a 625i in ‘14. I’ve beat the hell out of it. Mechanically, I’ve replaced one bearing on a shaft in that time. I change the oil, air filter and spark plug annually, that’s it. The engines is a Kawasaki in the 625i, simple and reliable. It isn’t fast at all but durable. My one gripe is when the belt gets wet it slips. If it does that, keep the pedal to the floor.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

No comparison, gator is more of a utility vehicle. Polaris will outperform in most categories.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Love mine. I have an 825 s4 and have had zero issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    It isn’t fast at all but durable. My one gripe is when the belt gets wet it slips. If it does that, keep the pedal to the floor.
    This. The first time you press the accelerator, you’ll think something is wrong. 0 to 31 in about 5 minutes flat. I had the bottom fall out under me once and tried easing it out. No dice, had to get pulled out. Would have been better off gunning it like Salty said. It runs well, and the AC will freeze you out. It is definitely a utility vehicle. Use it to pump up tires on irrigation towers and run back and forth to control boxes and such. We have some razors that get used for cow work and general running around and I prefer them.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.

We have two gators and a ranger on the farm. Ranger is better no question

Have both and will take the Ranger hands down. In 4 wheel in the mud there’s no comparison
    80-20 Genaration

Ended up buying it. Needs a little work but I can do it myself and the price was decent. Also it was located in Clemson so I figure the pure oxygen that has been aspirated through the motor should extend the life expectancy to well past 10,000 hours.

Im trying to understand why they still run belts, or do they just want me to buy Honda? Might work ok on the farm, but the hunt property has 7 creek crossings to get to the river. Is there some advantage Im overlooking?

Apparently there is a Kevlar belt for some of them that eliminates/reduces that issue. I will give it a shot and see if it exists and works.

If they just ran a toothed belt like Harley- never be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Im trying to understand why they still run belts, or do they just want me to buy Honda? Might work ok on the farm, but the hunt property has 7 creek crossings to get to the river. Is there some advantage Im overlooking?
    I know several who gone to buy a pioneer and did not like the rough shifting, left there and bought another ranger.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Just get a mule and be done with it.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Yep.