Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Scope Choices

Default New Scope Choices

What would be your choice between Swarovski, Zeiss, Trijicon, Meopta, or Leupold? I have to upgrade, and went cheap the last time. I now have better funding. I have looked at the Trijicons 56mm with a 30mm tube, not sure you can get much better, and it was compared against a Leupold of the same quality and size. What say ye? Is there really a difference between an $800 Trijicon and a $1800 Swarovski? I don’t want to have to buy another one for a long time, so trying to get this one right.

Yes there is.

Yes, there’s a difference between a $800 Trijicon and $1800 Swarovski. Clarity and LT being the main ones. However, that 2.5-10X56 Trijicon will do fine for shooting wood goats in low light. Meopta is a little bit better than the Trijicon. You might find a used or Demo Ziess Victory or Diavari for $1500-$1800.

EuroOptic has two models of the S&B Klassik 3-12X50 illuminated L7 I believe reticle, basically a #4 FFP on sale right now for $999 non BDC and $1099 with BDC turret as well. If illumination isn’t important, they have the Leica Magnus at around $1k. Magnus glass is superb but the reticle is thin in the center.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Guess it may help to also understand my primary application. Mounting on a Ruger M77 30-06, primarily hunting larger fields, minimal shooting lane/food plot hunting. Average shooting distance is typically out to 200yds, but I have taken a few deer in the 300 yard range. Hogs are prevalent at times in some portions of our property, average shot 100-120 yds. I don’t hunt 3x per week, but I want something that will give maximum light retention and focus when I need it. If you have the funds, which of these would you select? Williamsburg Co flat land.

If I was going meopta I’d do this one. https://www.eurooptic.com/meopta-meo...fle-scope.aspx

That being said that dang vx5hd 3-15x44 with the firedot duplex is just impressive to me for 899$ right now. For just a pure hunting scope it he is all the boxes for me and you can mount it low and don’t need a pack on your stock to get your cheek weld right like on some of these 56mm scopes. Not a big deal but something to consider.

I broke down and bought a hunting scope. 99% of my hunting the last 9-10 years have been with match/tactical scopes. Those scopes ranged from $1000-$3500.

I bought the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 and it is by far one of the best low light scopes I’ve ever looked through. The firedot reticle is perfect for hunting. It has a little distortion at the edges at 3x. It doesn’t bother me because I keep it betwee 4.5-8x.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I would suggest getting at least 15x capability. You don’t need that much power to shoot a deer but it can be useful discerning a quality rack. Another suggestion is to move the scope rearward a little more than you might think. This can be helpful when twisting on a hard angle shot.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Less expensive than the range you mentioned, but the last scope I purchased was a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40. It has a 30mm tube with side focus and I really like it for the money.

Leupold has average customer service. Buy vortex or Meopta.

Honestly, you should buy Boomer's Eotech.
    Last edited by TennDan; 11-16-2019 at 04:52 PM.

I am too interested in the Vx5 with firedot.....good info

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Shooting deer from 1-300 yards - standard duplex leupold, pick the highest quality model your checkbook will allow. Zero at 200y. Don’t over complicate it.

I’ve tried to give vortex a chance because of their great CS, but outside the razor line their stuff is fragile. I’ve personally had and been around a lot more viper line products that have needed to go out of service due to breakage.

Leupold makes good stuff, in Oregon, that’ll stand up to normal hunting wear and tear.

And the magnification adjustment goes clockwise, the way God intended.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Shooting deer from 1-300 yards - standard duplex leupold, pick the highest quality model your checkbook will allow. Zero at 200y. Don’t over complicate it.

I’ve tried to give vortex a chance because of their great CS, but outside the razor line their stuff is fragile. I’ve personally had and been around a lot more viper line products that have needed to go out of service due to breakage.

Leupold makes good stuff, in Oregon, that’ll stand up to normal hunting wear and tear.

And the magnification adjustment goes clockwise, the way God intended.
    Vortex is definitely hit or miss. I know of at least one ODA downrange that several of its members used 1-6 STRIKE EAGLES, not even Razors, that succesfully made it through the deployment with no issues.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Ive got a couple of VX5s. 2-10X42 and 3-15X44 with firedot duplex. They're clear, track true, don't weigh much and their glass is as good or better than anything in their price range.
    Ive also got a couple of VX3s that have been bomb proof for me. Ive never felt like I was under scoped in a hunting situation.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Vortex is definitely hit or miss. I know of at least one ODA downrange that several of its members used 1-6 STRIKE EAGLES, not even Razors, that succesfully made it through the deployment with no issues.
    Seriously??? All I ever saw those guys use was MK6s or S&B Short Dots on their carbines. The groups get a pretty generous budget, and can afford top notch optics. I tried a 1-8 Strike Eagle on my 3 gun rifle. It was decent for that game, but i sure as wouldnt bet my life on it.

I've always had good luck with the 3.5-10x50 VX3 for normal hunting situations around here. I prefer the 4-16x50 or 2.5-10x56 accupoints personally but I've never felt I was at a disadvantage with a VX3 or even a VX2 for the most part. That being said my next purchase will be a VX5hd 3-15x44 for a elk/mulie rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I've always had good luck with the 3.5-10x50 VX3 for normal hunting situations around here. I prefer the 4-16x50 or 2.5-10x56 accupoints personally but I've never felt I was at a disadvantage with a VX3 or even a VX2 for the most part. That being said my next purchase will be a VX5hd 3-15x44 for a elk/mulie rifle.
    I just put that exact scope on a gun. Feel free to pm me if you want specific details on it. I’ve ran it through it’s paces a good deal in the last 6mo on paper, and now that centerfire is in season here in NC, I hope to put an honest field review on it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Seriously??? All I ever saw those guys use was MK6s or S&B Short Dots on their carbines. The groups get a pretty generous budget, and can afford top notch optics. I tried a 1-8 Strike Eagle on my 3 gun rifle. It was decent for that game, but i sure as wouldnt bet my life on it.
    I’m going to try and find the articles. It was a multi part series an SF guy wrote about how rifle setups had changed throughout his deployments since the GWOT began or some such. I was surprised as well.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.defensereview.com/tactica...rossover-part/
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-17-2019 at 10:56 AM.

There is a Zeis Diavari V 3x12x56 with #8 for sale on the 24hourcampfire for a grand right now.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

Get the Swarovski, if you can’t afford it get one of the others like Bstick did........

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Get the Swarovski, if you can’t afford it get one of the others like Bstick did........
    Took me three years to save up for that Leupold.