Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Scope Choices

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Took me three years to save up for that Leupold.
    Yeah, cause you're spending all yo monies on building rifles....

In all seriousness; buy the best glass you can afford, you won't regret it! (warning) The only problem is, you'll never be able to go back to the lower ones and be happy

On quality, I have never had a Leupold need to go to the shop. I have one that I still use from the late 70s. It is a Vari X II.

I have a 3.5*10*50 for nearly 30 years on a 308 that has been knocked around quite a bit. Still good

2 4.5*14*50s with no issues. And a 6.5*20*50 that has been great on an old 223 bolt gun. I can pick knats off of dog with that. More than makes up for my shooting abilities or lack of thereof.

I have only had one Bushnell that goes the distance. A 3200 Elite on a 44. It takes that jolt.

I do have newer Weavers on a 44 carbine and a 45/70. No issues so far with these.

I can't count the other brands that went south. Never a Vortex or something of higher grade than a Leupold. The Leupolds do fine for me. No complaints in low lights with these.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I have the Meopta 3-12 and love it. It and the swaro Z8 are tied for the highest light transmission at dusk. I also recommend the dichroic reticle. It’s like illumination without batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by saltedbutter View Post
    I have the Meopta 3-12 and love it. It and the swaro Z8 are tied for the highest light transmission at dusk. I also recommend the dichroic reticle. It’s like illumination without batteries.
    S&B Polar T96 and PM II Ultra Bright are the highest LT out at 96%. Meopta Meostar and Swarovski Z6 + are at 92%. All are excellent optics. Really anything above 90% that filters blue light well is going to be good at early dawn and dusk.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Ahh. I was told different. Great either way

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot14 View Post
    What would be your choice between Swarovski, Zeiss, Trijicon, Meopta, or Leupold? I have to upgrade, and went cheap the last time. I now have better funding. I have looked at the Trijicons 56mm with a 30mm tube, not sure you can get much better, and it was compared against a Leupold of the same quality and size. What say ye? Is there really a difference between an $800 Trijicon and a $1800 Swarovski? I don’t want to have to buy another one for a long time, so trying to get this one right.
    To start with, Yes, the difference is as much as the difference is in price.....Leu low light condition Much more clearer then trij..... That said, invest in and you will not regret it....

what's the budget? and

what range you shoot?

I shoot nothing but 8X Meoptas with a red dot , i do need need to go up or down with variables. I look with binocs and shoot with the scope.

Be aware that POI can change on some scopes changing power up or down from the power that it was sighted in with.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I shoot nothing but 8X Meoptas with a red dot , i do need need to go up or down with variables. I look with binocs and shoot with the scope.

Be aware that POI can change on some scopes changing power up or down from the power that it was sighted in with.
    If your POI is changing when you adjust magnification, then you need to send your scope back. The only time POI should change is when using sub tensions on a SFP scope.

In my experience the POI will always change when magnification is changed..... It isn't suppose to do that but it does and mostly happens in old/Mid priced scopes. Boresight is with a collimator is an excellent way of seeing if your scope does this.