Thread: Rheinmetall ADS (Active Defense System)

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Rheinmetall ADS (Active Defense System)

The system reminds me of the old science fiction force fields.

Rheinmetall ADS (Active Defense System) has been around for several years. At first it was just too bulky to be practical but it looks like they are making it more portable.

Demo...

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

The one the Israeli's have been using successfully, and the US Army is picking up...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

The Trophy seems to be a better system. What I noticed on the Rheinmetall ADS system was that all of the rounds fired in the video were HE rounds. Like the RPG 7 that relies on a detonator setting off the explosive warhead and shooting a jet of plasma into the armor. The ADS seems to attack the detonator. I was wondering how it would handle a kinetic energy round, i.e. a solid AP round such as an APFSDSDU (Armor Penetrating, Fin-Stabilized, Discarding Sabot, Depleted Uranium) round. That's a round fired by the M1A1/2 Abram MBT. There is a similar round fired by the 25 mm Bushmaster in the Bradley AFV's. If they can do that, then I will be even more impressed. I was willing to give them kudos for even this stage of defense, especially since these HE type weapons make up the majority of the threat profile. But if the video of the Trophy system is accurate it seems it would work on kinetic rounds. It looks like it destroys the propellant/rocket on incoming rounds which would naturally neutralize the projectile.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."