Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Accident

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Certainly you have seen objects in the woods that looked like a deer or turkey.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...idents-happen/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have seen many a tree or brush low light silhouette that made me stare at it thru a scope for awhile,
    but never sent a bullet to it. Some of them are pretty fair animal shapes too

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    10/12 years ago a father shot and killed his 13yo son thinking he was a hog. The kid was sitting at the base of a tree reading a book waiting to be picked up
    damn, that hurts my chest to read.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justhuntin View Post
    Says somebody from Piedmont ? Lol
    Easy on Piedmont, tiger. If it weren't for cousins and meth most of us would still be virgins.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have seen many a tree or brush low light silhouette that made me stare at it thru a scope for awhile,
    but never sent a bullet to it. Some of them are pretty fair animal shapes too
    Yep, we all have. Imagine watching chasing all evening, never getting a shot then at dark see one of those shapes and hear a grunt. 99.9% of hunters will not shoot, but some would.

I imagine a bunch of deer, turkey and stumps have been killed that were not 100% identified.

Most hunting accidents happen by veteran hunters that haven the same thing hundreds of time.

That’s why I use a light around here.

When I was 12 I was in a stand armed with a Remington Mohawk .243 with a Tasco scope. I heard something coming and put the scope on some myrtles waiting for it to appear. A guy in his twenties came out and I had my scope on his chest. He was trespassing and I was so shaken up that it took me a while to even yell at him. It bothered me for years.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Dear God
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Someone should drop his life insurance policy.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Someone should drop him out of a plane.

Fixed it for you

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Some of you folks need to get out of the habit of using a scope as binoculars. It breaks the cardinal rule of gun safety by pointing a loaded gun at something you are not sure of. Binoculars will give you a better view in less light too.

That fella really felt the need to tell everyone the deer was free range multiple times.

Most people die of natural causes. Stupidity is a natural cause. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Not defending this but trying to think through this.

Possible man driving?

The shotgun makes sense in that instance. They are walking a hedgerow, and one shoots through?

I saw it happened with 3 really good friends back when we all had just turn oed 21, but the difference was the deer was being run and the shooter shot at the deer (hit the deer) but one of the shots was infant or behind the deer. 8 of the pellets made it 75 years through a 12' tall stand of pines and into the recipients chest arm and leg.

They were all wearing hunter orange, and one could say it was miscommunication and or excitement, but it was stupid in the end.

Makes me wonder if this situation was similar?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I think the report said he was getting or had gotten out of a stand. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Some of you folks need to get out of the habit of using a scope as binoculars. It breaks the cardinal rule of gun safety by pointing a loaded gun at something you are not sure of. Binoculars will give you a better view in less light too.
    I climbed up in a stand with a guy that did that to my son and I when we were doing some work on the owners property. Had a really good talk with him, explaining how he would have difficulty using it if he ever did it again. I think the light came on as I was climbing into his stand. Use binoculars people.

I live in PA from 99-02. My stepmoms father had a 45-50 acre tract up there that was eat up with deer but not a good spot to use a rifle. Shotgun with buckshot was my go to there.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Sad situation here though.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    That fella really felt the need to tell everyone the deer was free range multiple times.
    He also noted that he was ABOUT to successfully harvest mature free range deer. It would've really been funny if another big buck came up from behind and butt raped him- just for being an obnoxious asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    When I was 12 I was in a stand armed with a Remington Mohawk .243 with a Tasco scope. I heard something coming and put the scope on some myrtles waiting for it to appear. A guy in his twenties came out and I had my scope on his chest. He was trespassing and I was so shaken up that it took me a while to even yell at him. It bothered me for years.
    Back in the mid 90s, R&R and me and a bunch of guys from Camden leased a little piece of ground and swamp in Lee County. We mostly duck hunted it, be we killed a few deer there too. One mid Nov. afternoon, I grabbed my rifle and eased into a really thick area about 200 yards from the property line, sat down against a tree, and commenced to rattling like two deer trying to kill each other. After the second sequence, I heard a stick snap to my downwind side. After a minute or so of nothing, I hear him easing in to find the fight...from downwind...just like a big buck is supposed to do. I eased my rifle up and dialed down to 3x as it was thick and the deer was close. Minutes of silence go by, and I grunt...and here he comes. I see the brush moving and finally see his tan hide, but I can’t make out exactly where my crosshairs were on the deer...the safety was off...my heart was thumping, and my finger was a squeeze away from boom...I just needed to see where I was actually aimed. As I’m searching hard for a leg to get my bearings, I see a slight flash of light blue. Then I see the blue is this jack ass’ hat! It was the neighboring landowner easing up in there in Carhardt overalls and a baby blue hat to see if he could see the bucks that were fighting. First...I was pissed and thought about putting a round in a big oak tree to my right, but I could see he was old and I figured I might cause him to have a heart attack. I hollered-at him and let him know I was there and that I had just had a .270 aide center mass with the safety off and finger on trigger. Once we started talking, I think it hit us both just how close we came to screwing up both our lives, and I can tell you we both learned valuable lessons...that we both already knew. Thank God my eyes and mind did not deceive me that day.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 11-20-2019 at 04:13 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!