Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable 1/2 ton

Default Most Reliable 1/2 ton

I may start looking for a new truck. I have a travel trailer 4200 lbs dry weight and tow to Western NC maybe 5 times a year. What would be the most reliable 1/2 ton to start looking to purchase?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

What are half tons typically rated to tow?

A restored 88 F150

My old 1986 Ford but it gone. Love my 1500 GMC. Will pull anything you can put behind it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    My old 1986 Ford but it gone. Love my 1500 GMC. Will pull anything you can put behind it.
    It can't pull the space shuttle
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    It can't pull the space shuttle
    Set it up and bet it will
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I’ve seen people pull fire trucks before. A truck that pulled a fancy plane a little ways going 2 miles an hour doesn’t impress me.

Great...A Jap rice burner pulling an American shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Great...A Jap rice burner pulling an American shuttle.
    Hey, he asked for the most reliable 1/2 ton. Not his fault no one in the US makes one worth a flip. Oh wait, they do, down in San Antonio, TX....
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

GM quality at 100 miles.....

Full disclosure it was a duramax.

C176E7D7-64FD-44BE-897C-C8AE6A838294.jpg
    Last edited by wdhigh; 11-15-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Check engine light on at 100 mile damn

Thanks Obama

They all have problems. Some just show their head early and more often. Might also have to do with total units sold. The tundra has hardly any of that market compared to big 3 offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    They all have problems. Some just show their head early and more often. Might also have to do with total units sold. The tundra has hardly any of that market compared to big 3 offerings.
    My F250’s been pretty flawless so far.

May consider that 7.3L gas in my next truck though. Diesels are getting too damn expensive.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Only bad thing about the Tundra that I’ve heard was the gas mileage but that’s probably where I would start. That said I like the eco boost in my Navigator though I’ve never pulled anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    My F250’s been pretty flawless so far.

May consider that 7.3L gas in my next truck though. Diesels are getting too damn expensive.
    My late build 17’ f250 had to have the main wiring harness replaced at 1k miles. Pins corroded on plugs.

I just have bad luck with Ford and Chevy.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 11-15-2019 at 04:25 PM.

I haven't had any issues with my 2018 Silverado in the first 20,000 miles. But gas mileage isn't any better than a tundra with a leveling kit and bigger tires, I've averaged 14.3 mpg for the life of the truck so far with AFM disabled. Averages about 10 mpg pulling a bass boat and 17 mpg not towing anything on the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I haven't had any issues with my 2018 Silverado in the first 20,000 miles. But gas mileage isn't any better than a tundra with a leveling kit and bigger tires, I've averaged 14.3 mpg for the life of the truck so far with AFM disabled. Averages about 10 mpg pulling a bass boat and 17 mpg not towing anything on the interstate.
    And you bitchin about 17 with big tires? I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    And you bitchin about 17 with big tires? I don't get it
    Not at all. Just putting into perspective what someone can expect with a larger tire under them. That’s with a 295/70/18 Trail Grappler. It was averaging 15 around town and 19 hwy with 285/70/18 Ridge grapplers that I had for a couple months.