Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you only had three rods

Default If you only had three rods

Now that I have finally bought my own boat (High Tide 1503) I don't have to wait on friends to go fishing and will be out on the water a lot more. I currently fish inshore with an older 6'6" medium light rod with 2500 reel and a 7' medium heavy with 5000 reel. The 6'6" rod is a cheaper bass pro rod with bass pro reel that is coming apart anyway. Both combo's are older and I want to move them to backup rods and get new saltwater setups for next year.

I am thinking that three combos will be enough for the area. I am in a 1503 high tide, so the jetties are about as far out as I will be going. I usually fish the ICW in Little River up to Little River jetties or Murrells Inlet area and the jetties there. So keeping that in mind what would three combo's that would do me best for inshore and jettie fishing ?

I was thinking :
    6'6" medium with 3000 reel
    7' medium rod with 4000 reel
    7' medium heavy with 5500 reel

Do you mainly fish bait or artificials?

I will try anything really. Now that I have more freedom to go out when I want, depending on what time of the year, I will try to get out after anything.

I do enjoy using cranks, plugs, spoons, plastic shrimp/worms, but also enjoy live bait if that's what's biting. I know that's broad, but i am really open to everything depending on weather and what is biting.

That's why I was thinking three rods; one for smaller inshore, one for most everything else inshore and one for jetties ?

I bought a Shimano Ultegra a couple years ago and its smooth as silk

Here is what I do for general use, it’s good for 2 anglers and to switch from bait to artificial easily.

2 7’ medium 8-12lb rods with 3000 series reels for artificials
    2 7’ medium heavy 12-20 lb rods with 4000 series reels for bait.

For what it’s worth I use star rods and Diawa reels and like their performance, price, and that they stand up to guest/client abuse well.

thank you!

So you are saying that I really base the rod around the type of lure/bait I am using rather than what type of fish I am targeting ? Would I use the same mh/4000 combo if I am using live shrimp in the flats ?

I have a 7’4” G Loomis Bronzeback with a Stradic 3000 for throwing smaller jigs and lighter lures, a 7’6” G Loomis E6X inshore with a Stradic 4000 that I like for some slightly heavier lures and then a 7’ star rod that I used for bait. Couldn’t even tell you what action it is cause it’s been a minute since I’ve used it. Those first 2 rods are what I use for most of my inshore fishing unless I’m using a fly rod or fishing for big fish with bait on bigger setups.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Here is what I do for general use, it’s good for 2 anglers and to switch from bait to artificial easily.

For what it’s worth I use star rods and Diawa reels and like their performance, price, and that they stand up to guest/client abuse well.
    Exactly what he said, and I use newer Diawa BG series.
    Just bought a new Diawa BG 2500 and paired it on a 7' medium fast action and spooled w/ 12 braid
    for throwing soft plastics, shrimp, curly tails, grubs, paddle tails, etc

BG4000 would be for larger reds also, in my opinion
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    thank you!

So you are saying that I really base the rod around the type of lure/bait I am using rather than what type of fish I am targeting ?
    Yes, to an extent, action action and action. The rod gives the action, not the reel.
    The reel needs to have the appropriate drag and line capacity for the type of fish.
    Learn up about drag and bearings too
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Stellar Lites, Seagis, or Plasma? I've got several Stellar Lites and am curious if it's worth the coin to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Stellar Lites, Seagis, or Plasma? I've got several Stellar Lites and am curious if it's worth the coin to upgrade.
    I’d just keep the stellar lites

your assuming I care what my friends fish with

thanks though, I do appreciate the advice from you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Star is on my shit list. I’ve broken 5 of their conventional Paraflexs in the last two years. I have a Plasma that’s held up well and my spinning rods have been great but those others suck. St. Croix Mojo has been good too.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I hate to do it and I will probably kick myself for this but I will have to agree with ECU. Match the rod to the bait/lure weight and the line. Then the drag of the reel to the type of fish. You will be surprised how small of a reel can turn a fish. Might take a while but it can be done. Have caught a 15+ pound red on a 2500 series Shimano Stradic. Once I started paying attention to which rod I was using my casting distance, accuracy, and consistency all improved

I need one to do inshore bream fishing but double as a grouper rod.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Your going to want more than 3. Nice to have a few similar rods of varying sizes so you can quickly switch to another rod that is rigged differently. I would say 2-3 3000ish size and 2-3 5000ish reels. I prefer to spend more on reels as they are normally what can or will fall apart first. A decent rod will last a long time if taken care of, unless you let me borrow it. I am really good at breaking fishing rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep one with a rattle type popping cork on it at all times and I went to the little "slip knot thingy" so I can adjust the cork depth in a split second without retie.
    I keep one with a red jig head on it and I slip different soft baits on and off it, gulps, paddle tails, curly tails, etc
    I keep two with my favorite hard baits like the Mirrolure I posted the other day
    I keep one with a Storm pink shrimp on it also. I catch a lot of fish on the Storm artificial shrimp in pink color

I quit fishing with live shrimp a few years ago and honestly catching just as many and larger fish. I still use live shrimp if I have folks with me that
    just want some action as it will usually guarantee it or folks that don't have a lot of experience with casting. I like the challenge of artificial and the time I save not looking bait and the boat stays cleaner
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-15-2019 at 01:42 PM.

If you are buying new equipment buy quality. This does’t mean go buy the most expensive you can but do buy something that will work well and last. Then take care of it.

You will be much happier in the long run than by trying to save a few dollars up front.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I keep one with a rattle type popping cork on it at all times and I went to the little "slip knot thingy" so I can adjust the cork depth in a split second without retie.
    I keep one with a red jig head on it and I slip different soft baits on and off it, gulps, paddle tails, curly tails, etc
    I keep two with my favorite hard baits like the Mirrolure I posted the other day
    I keep one with a Storm pink shrimp on it also. I catch a lot of fish on the Storm artificial shrimp in pink color

I quit fishing with live shrimp a few years ago and honestly catching just as many and larger fish. I still use live shrimp if I have folks with me that
    just want some action as it will usually guarantee it or folks that don't have a lot of experience with casting. I like the challenge of artificial and the time I save not looking bait and the boat stays cleaner

My initial thought was having two medium rods- one set up on a swivel that I can swap out easily between a hard bait and a popper cork setup, then the second one tied with jig head for smaller plastics.
    Then a medium heavy setup with Carolina Rig or Drop Rig for live bait.
    maybe a fourth heavy rod setup for live bait in case I am going after much larger fish.

PS- How are those MirrOlures? I hear great things but never tried one, but what makes it any different than any other rattler ?
    Last edited by duckz; 11-15-2019 at 02:39 PM.