Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: discussion on the relative merits of shotgun loads

The official Guinness Book of World Records was at the World Championship this year. They had a competition to see how far a clay target could be broken with a standard target load (1 1/8 ounces of 7.5's). After the smoke had cleared, a chick from Italy was the only one that broke a target from 105 yards. She was shooting Bornaghi shells in a Beretta DT11.

I've seen some clays in that 60 and 70 yard range. Fish told me my cousin had one set in the 70ish range in his last big thing..

I dont talk about it much, but the last black duck I killed on public water was right at 70.. I knew what it was, I knew the round about distance and was pretty sure I could kill it.. when I pulled up, there was enough time for my BIL to ask me what I was doing. I'll still bring it up to him, not something I'd do every day.. but sometimes s*** just presents itself in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I've seen some clays in that 60 and 70 yard range. Fish told me my cousin had one set in the 70ish range in his last big thing..

I dont talk about it much, but the last black duck I killed on public water was right at 70.. I knew what it was, I knew the round about distance and was pretty sure I could kill it.. when I pulled up, there was enough time for my BIL to ask me what I was doing. I'll still bring it up to him, not something I'd do every day.. but sometimes s*** just presents itself in that manner.
    I killed a pintail like that one time with one of the longest sprigs on it I've personally seen. It was a thing of beauty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

no need to ever shoot 7.5 or 8s from a 12. use a 20.

I like as many dram equivalents as possible
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I shoot 7/8 of and oz of 7.5s for sporting and doves. Cycles my 12 gauge 391 just fine and shoots really soft. No problem breaking clays or killing doves. I don’t think it really matters much.

We watched a shooting instructor demonstrate breaking clays pretty consistently at 85 yards. You have time after the shot to say "he missed" then it breaks. He doesn't change loads or chokes when he does it just to make a point.

It ain't skybusting if you kill them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not that it matters, but if I can find them, I shoot Remington Premier Sporting 1 1/8 oz at 1,300 for sporting clays and Remington 1 oz at 1,350 for FITASC. I prefer 8s for everything.

I bet she scissors better then she shoots

Sportin never dissapoints
    Last edited by Quack07; 11-15-2019 at 08:09 AM.

If I'm gonna shoot 1 oz loads it will be in my 20 ga.. My 12's get 1 1/8 oz loads or more.

Shot size & shot weight make no difference,,,,,,it's the Indian,, not,, the arrow.

Bob
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Does beating your dog make you feel good about being a poor trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by BOB_HARWELL View Post
    Shot size & shot weight make no difference,,,,,,it's the Indian,, not,, the arrow.

Bob
    True.....