Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new tires for tahoe

Default Time for new tires for tahoe

I know these threads are started rather frequently but was wondering if anyone had any experience with goodyear duratrac AT’s?
    I currently have BFG KO2 and they are about done with 50k miles. I am not opposed to getting another set as I have probably had 5-6 sets over the years and overall have been pretty happy with them but I always look around once the time comes. I know I am not a huge fan of how easily they seem to get gummed up in mud but I think that happens to most tires. Size: 28565R18. I try to weigh out price, tread life, ride/road noise, and generally try for a semi to fairly aggressive all terrain pattern.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know these two tires arent either of the ones you mentioned but the last two sets of tires I've had were Nitto ridge grapplers and the toyo a/t2 (what i have now.) IMO the Toyo are louder and ride rougher than the Nittos. I believe the gap in between treads are bigger on the toyos which is why it rides louder. I think the toyos perform better in mud from what ive felt and seen. The Nittos look better overall IMO as the sidewall really stands out but the RG were good tires and I dont really have any serious complaints about the A/t2's yet. If you have any friends that work for Michelin, hit them up if they still have some tires they can buy. Michelin had the KM3s and KO2s on their discount tire page for Michelin employees last week. They go fast but you may find something.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 11-12-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and have been pleased. Got about 15 k on them and they are not too noisy, decent mud ability for not being a true mud tire, and ride pretty well at all speeds down the paved road!
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

I know the duractracs are a popular tire for 4runner and Jeep guys. I'm not sure the load rating options but I think the popularity of those crowds is based on the lighter vehicle. If they don't have a heavier load option I'd be concerned the Tahoe would eat them up due to weight. I've never had the duratrac but they seem to be louder than other AT's...no first hand experience though. I think they look great though. I put KO2's on my new Expedition.

Toyo ATs

Looking around some and I do like the Toyo open country AT2 and have always liked the appearance of the nittos.

I Keep circling back around to the BFG MT KM3s though! I know they are louder, anyone have any experience with tread life? I had a set on a 1999 tahoe and loved them. The exhaust was louder than the tires so the road noise was negligible. My dualed out days are way over. That was a high school phase. Got tired of having to walk further than necessary to a deer stand and I dont want to draw any attention to myself!

For guys with toyo AT’s what kind of tread life have yall seen? Looks like they advertise 65k? How are they offroad?

Last edited by Islandguy85; 11-12-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Ridge grapplers

BFG's do not last a year under one of my boys. The other son does well with those nitto grapplers or whatever they are. But it is a Dodge 1500 vs a Grand cherokee.. The dodge has the BFGs.

I had something KRT put under my 99 Dodge 2500 that out lasted 3 sets of those BFGs and were still going. Ask him.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Nitto Terra Grapplers. We’ve had multiple customers get 90-100k out of a set

The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are great as well as the Toyo R/Ts

Last edited by killzone; 11-12-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Im running Duratracs and they are damn good tires. Got 90k out of the last set on one of our company vehicles. Just put this set on my work truck 2 months ago and like them a lot, pull good and ride great. They make a little noise but I like it. I will add, the only other tires we put on the fleet trucks that last worth a cuss are the Michelin's, The a/t2's and ltx tires always go 80-90k, that's what our 2wd's get.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 11-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.

I have been happy with my Bridgestone Revo3. They are not a super knobby off road tire, but are quiet and ride great. A good hybrid for a daily driver SUV.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

True all terrain I’d run a Toyo Open Country AT2 or Toyo Xtreme.

You want a hybrid tire I’d run the Toyo RT or Ridge Grappler.

Toyo is the shit and my next job I’ll be a Toyo sales rep.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Toyos that KRT puts on my trucks... 60,000 out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    True all terrain I’d run a Toyo Open Country AT2 or Toyo Xtreme.

You want a hybrid tire I’d run the Toyo RT or Ridge Grappler.

Toyo is the shit and my next job I’ll be a Toyo sales rep.
    Toyo is shit. I have tried the MTs and RTs and neither impressed me. No different treatment than any other tire I have ever had and Got 30 k out the MTs and will be lucky to get it out the RTs and my front end is straight and they are balanced. . They just don’t seem to last under my truck. Same truck got 65k out of Cooper ST Maxxs.
    cut\'em

Falcon Wild Peak ATW3 I have 20k on a set right now and they still have 3/4 tread no complaints so far.

I’ve got 50k on my cooper stt pros. Aggressive tire and served me well on my 2500

Quote Originally Posted by SWAMPLIFE z71 View Post
    Falcon Wild Peak ATW3 I have 20k on a set right now and they still have 3/4 tread no complaints so far.
    This. Hard to beat for the $. Very quiet also
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Toyo is shit. I have tried the MTs and RTs and neither impressed me. No different treatment than any other tire I have ever had and Got 30 k out the MTs and will be lucky to get it out the RTs and my front end is straight and they are balanced. . They just don’t seem to last under my truck. Same truck got 65k out of Cooper ST Maxxs.
    So I’m assuming you have a 3/4 ton Ram. Are the Toyo’s just shit on your truck? I’m not sure any 3/4 ton truck will get more than 50/60 K out of any mud tire. Look into some of the 12 plys Toyo has been introducing, the 12 ply will hold up longer on a 3/4 ton solid axle front end platform. I know you said it’s “straight”. Any shop can set the toe and make it track straight all day. “Set the toe and let it go”. But if by chance your fronts wear differently than the rear, their may be an underlying issue.

The vehicle in question is a Tahoe. He will ll get 65 K easy out of set of AT’s and far as that goes 10 ply MT’s I’d imagine.

And for arguments sake buy a set of fucking Michelin’s if you want the best.
    Last edited by KRT; 11-13-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

You suck at selling toyo's

you're fired
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    You suck at selling toyo's

you're fired
    Can I come work at BG?
    More fuel = more boost!!