Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tin Cloth Waxed Jacket

Default Tin Cloth Waxed Jacket

Thinking about getting one. Which is the best?

Filson
    Kevins
    Barbour

Others to look at?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Filson for durability
    Barbour for looks
    Kevin’s I have no experience with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Tom Beckbe makes some good stuff

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I like Filson and Barbour. Kevin’s has a lot of logo items, but I have no idea where it comes from. They also say you can wash it, so take that for what you will.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-11-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Barbour is not as stiff and uncomfortable to me

Surprisingly, Beretta has a nice one. They’ve changed the pocket design since I got mine whereas the new ones are better placed,

It’s also not the old wax, but a new ‘odor-free’ wax compound, for what it’s worth.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have Barbour and Filson. I like Barbour better.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I’ve got a Barbour. It’s not bad for the field but it’s not great. If you’re busting bushes and in the briars and so forth I’d probably go for the Filson tin cloth. Try one on as you’ll want to layer under it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by SCDuckhunter1979 View Post
    Barbour is not as stiff and uncomfortable to me
    Break in time on Filson Tin Cloth is pretty long. I’ve got a tin cloth coat that is just now getting broken in after some pluff mud and a rewax. Probably had the coat 3-4 years

Filson is like wearing a suit of armor. Tough as hell but not very comfortable.

FWIW, I don’t own a filson. Just know that my Barbour is shredded. I keep wax on it and annually treat both of my barbours.

Really can’t go wrong with either, though. Depends on the application in which it will be used, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I have a few Barbours. If you can find a Solway zipper those were tough jackets. Mine is 25ish years old, they were built tougher than take for instance the Beaufort. Those and those Bedales, some Borders are what you see most people wearing, I dont even wear my Beafort. I've got an old wading waxed jacket by them, that I can't part with either. I'm about to give my son an old Gamefair also.

For hunting filson tin cloth is way to go. They also make shelter cloth and cover cloth. Cover is about same as a barbour. I have a cover cloth field coat that is my nice go out jacket. My hunting coat is a mccallister thats similar to tin cloth.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I have Barbour and Filson. I like Barbour better.
    #Metoo

If I am hunting a tamie ranch in Rimini...

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Surprisingly, Beretta has a nice one. They’ve changed the pocket design since I got mine whereas the new ones are better placed,

It’s also not the old wax, but a new ‘odor-free’ wax compound, for what it’s worth.
    I have a Beretta jacket also...it is very warm because of the built in liner.

Filson is definitely tougher than Barbour. The suit of armor comment is spot on.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDuckhunter1979 View Post
    I have a Beretta jacket also...it is very warm because of the built in liner.
    But you have had them all , what do you like best, what is best for hunting?

If anyone wants to part with their horribly stiff Filson Waterfowl jacket, I’ll be more than happy to accommodate your substitute jacket needs. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    But you have had them all , what do you like best, what is best for hunting?
    Haha...Under Armour

Barbour coats have their place for sure.

But it’s not in real duck hunting.
    Afternoon corn pond hunts in a nice blind is a great place for them

Show me a dude in a Barbour coat when it’s sleeting and blowing 20 out the north, and I’ll show you an idiot about to die of hypothermia.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.