Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Brake or Not to Brake

I just saw my typed reply above and see that I look like an idiot- not sure what happened there. I, too, am not a big fan of recoil, particularly not at the range. However, that kind of goes to my point about range rifles and hunting rifles (appreciating that sometimes they are one in the same). No one ever feels the rifle go off when shooting at game, so arguably a brake for recoil reduction would not be necessary unless shooting at 700 yards and needing to see bullet strike, which I think is stupid and defeats the purpose of hunting (but I digress). I am a bit biased against them in so far as my dumb ass shot a ported (old BOSS system) .300win mag in a covered stand and have permanent hearing loss as a result. I'm sure it wasn't solely due to that incident, but I immediately experienced tinitus as a result. And yes, I should have had plugs.
    Carolina Counsel

I used to hunt a good bit with a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Magnum, with the factory brake. It was abusive, but, as mentioned, I always wore ear pro in the stand. Plus, on a cool day, electronic muffs keep your ears bit warmer AND you can hear better.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

JP or APA Fat Bastard or Harrels but either will be extremely loud, Use ear protection and warn people near by.......For range, it's ok but for hunting, NO.... Also, the ported break is not prone friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    No brake. They are so damn loud. How much does the rifle weigh? As long as it is not a light weight rifle, it should be manageable
    I had one gun I had a brake put on years ago, best shooting gun I ever had but got tire of taking ear muffs to deer stand. 300 Win mag. Other part is the extended length was aggravating at times but I adapted to that .

Buddy of mine used it one day and fell in love with it, he cannot hear worth a shit. He wanted to buy it so gladly let it go. Heck oldest son killed his first deer with it when he was 7-8 yr old. In fact he was bragging (kiddingly ) about his young son using a 300 win mag to kill his first deer one day. Told them to find out what a REAL 300 feels like to shoot my 300 Wby mag to see the recoil difference , we just never got around to it

That being said, guns shoot GREAT with them but keep in mind you will need ear muffs and you may have a little extra length on barrel Mistake I made was when I had gunsmith put muzzle brake on I did not pay a little extra and have it made removable where you could remove it and put an end cap on barrel.

That 300 win mag has less recoil than a heavy barrel 243

+1 for brake. Just make sure to wear ear pro. Zero downside.