Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Still Makes Nice Rifles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who Still Makes Nice Rifles

I have an affinity for heirloom quality firearms. I understand that synthetic stocks and camo finishes have their place, but the combination of a hardwood stock mated to blued steel is the pinnacle for me. I had a Model 7 in 7mm-08 as a youth, that went on to another family member and was replaced by a 700 in 308. I have some other rifles that are much older than me, but none I would want to start one of my kids out with. Are the new Model Seven CDLs any good, or are they like most of the junk presently coming out of Remington? Any other production rifles worth looking at? The Sako 85s look nice, and I don’t mind spending the money on them, but if one of the American companies is still putting out one of the classic models with great quality, I may prefer it. Or maybe I’m better off trying to find an older model still NIB?

Ruger no 1’s, sakos, win featherweights and supergrades.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phone Man; 11-07-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Sako 85, Sauer 101 or 202, Winchester Super Grade, Cooper, Weatherby Mark V, Mauser M12, 03, 98 or Montana. I have quite a few Sakos, a Super Grade and quite a few older guns like a Parker Hale, Colts, BSA etc. there are still quite a few high quality guns out there.

My Finnbear is a beautiful gun as is my hunter but no rifle I own feels like that Bavarian Carbine, that rifle is like a work of art.

With Cooper or Montana be ready to shell out some money for a nice piece of timber. You can also do a build your gun with Sako and select the wood.

4E3E8794-3AD1-4900-B2A4-86C99CBA9369.jpg
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-07-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Sako 85, Sauer 101 or 202, Winchester Super Grade, Cooper, Weatherby Mark V, Mauser M12, 03, 98 or Montana. I have quite a few Sakos, a Super Grade and quite a few older guns like a Parker Hale, Colts, BSA etc. there are still quite a few high quality guns out there.

My Finnbear is a beautiful gun as is my hunter but no rifle I own feels like that Bavarian Carbine, that rifle is like a work of art.

With Cooper or Montana be ready to shell out some money for a nice piece of timber. You can also do a build your gun with Sako and select the wood.

4E3E8794-3AD1-4900-B2A4-86C99CBA9369.jpg
    Is there any advantage to the mannlicher stock that I’m not aware of or is it just something that has gone by the wayside over the years?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Is there any advantage to the mannlicher stock that I’m not aware of or is it just something that has gone by the wayside over the years?
    No. Just a pile of disadvantages
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    True. Pretty but generally have accuracy issues. My first deer rifle was a Ruger model 77 in .308 with the manlicher stock. Cool gun but far from accurate.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    And, just my opinion, ugly as hell.

Looking cool is always an advantage, and I’m just looking for Minute Of Deer accuracy. I enjoy older lever guns and semi autos, so cloverleafing a group isn’t a priority (or in some cases a possibility) for my hunting rigs. Long range rigs are a different beast, and I expect them to be boringly accurate.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Looking cool is always an advantage, and I’m just looking for Minute Of Deer accuracy. I enjoy older lever guns and semi autos, so cloverleafing a group isn’t a priority (or in some cases a possibility) for my hunting rigs. Long range rigs are a different beast, and I expect them to be boringly accurate.
    Looking cool is all about personal opinion.
    Lever guns are cool in my book but mannlicher Stocks are ugly as sin

Looking cool is all about personal opinion.
    Lever guns are cool in my book but mannlicher Stocks are ugly as sin
    I actually meant to quote Griffin, but got you by mistake.

I asked about what rifle was in your pic in the deerstand thread, but your above post answered it. Henry makes beautiful guns.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-08-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Townsend Whelen said “ Only accurate rifles are interesting”

Sure, but Whelen thought the '03 Springfield was the height of accuracy.

I don't need 1,000 yard, synthetic stock rifle to kill a pine goat and neither did Whelen. They're as accurate as a laser level and just as pretty.

I haven't hunted deer with a rifle less than 70 years old in over a decade. Not everybody likes what I like, and that's cool.

But if its me and my choice, I'll grab a Mauser out of the safe every time.

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Ok Larry Potterfield.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    That Mannlicher stocked gun is about 1/2 MOA. I did have a Ruger No.1 International in ‘06 that was horrible for accuracy. They’re like most guns, you can get bad ones in every type.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

They look really cool and it appeared to have worked just fine just fine. The current Long Range / Precision Rifle fad has skewed our view of what’s needed in a hunting rifle. I enjoy shooting my precision rifles and ARs, but I really enjoy my older Walnut stocked blued steel classics too. I’ve got a cherry Savage 99 that needs some love before the season gets gone.

E5128B4F-BDE7-4281-982F-DD10546EA860.jpg
    My dad gave me his 1968 model 700 308 shot less than 10 times. He had the original box of shells with it too.

If you’re interested in a single shot Henry makes a great looking and affordable rifle. The only downside is they have a limited selection of calibers

Mauser others as stated above. Zastava
    they are out there

Also look for good used or NIB

I am putting this girl into service, from 1970

IMG_2397.JPG
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Default Who Still Makes Nice Rifles

Winchester Model 70 USA made. From 2008-2013 the model 70s were made in the FN plant in Columbia. You can easily tell as it won’t say Assembled in Portugal on the barrel. Try and find a compact model.

Buy each of your kids a JM stamped Marlin 336 30-30. Bang Flop every time.
    Last edited by britton40; 11-08-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Me
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.