Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    You mentioned it'd be with you at work & home. It'll be fine with all that attention. Bored dogs are a menace. Busy dogs are a pleasure.
    This x100.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Not all labs are created the same. Find a good breeding and do the research on the lineage. You want both parents to have a good "off switch".

Do not skimp on buying a puppy, spend as much as you can afford. It is the cheapest part of owning a dog.

Call Rhett. He will be able to point your in the right direction. The line of dogs that he has bred off of his personal dogs are everything you described you are looking for.

For the house, I sure wouldn’t get a lab. English setters make fine house pets and have the best personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    Watch your mouth about goldens... my golden would have something to say about that. He has saved my labs butt a couple times. Funny story to follow if you care:

We (wife and 5 and 7 year old kids) were walking our dogs in the neighborhood one evening. We came up on a German shepherd that wasnt on a leash and about 75 yds away from its owner. The German shepherd starts a fight with my lab(British line). I told my golden(American field trial line) to sit and was hoping that the brawl would stop. I wasn’t going to break it up because I need my hands for work. The German shepherd gets the advantage and my lab yelps. In a blink of an eye my golden had the German shepherd on his back with its tail between its legs.

I used it as a teaching moment for my kids about World War Two. The Germans (German shepherd) picked a fight with the British (lab) and the Americans (golden) came in to save the day.
    Great analysis.

My lab goes to work with me every single day. She's a little smaller (60 lbs) which makes carrying her all over with me a lot easier than a larger lab.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Labs can be great dogs, or absolutely horrible dogs. The amount of time you spend with one, will play a key role in how they behave. And that goes for just about any breed. The lab I have now can be the most loving dog you have ever seen, or the biggest asshole to others. He is very protective of every child that is in my yard. If you have never been around him, you would think that he will eat your face off, when you first see him. But within a few seconds, he becomes one of the biggest love whores you will ever be around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I gotta think the magical "off switch" is more environmental than anything. In over 20 years of owning and training labs this has not been an issue, and all have lived their life in the house. These have all been from FT breedings from some of the highest energy lines available. Now, in the field is a different story. But in the house, no problem.
    Mike

I'm no expert, but a lab's temperament can vary just as widely as attitudes on this site. If that tells you anything. Craps shoot man.

I'd recommend adopting an adult dog if possible, to spare yourself some of the factor of the unknown. Lowcountry Lab Rescue is one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    How much? Mine is still wide open at almost 4. What about laziness and weight gain? Is that something to watchfor later on?
    It cuts it by almost half, dog will still go all day as long as I want to, weight is controlled by food. Much less cancer risk also. If you are not going to breed a dog- fix them.

English lab is what you want

I have/had 2 chocolate labs. (down to 1 now ) Both great dogs but one could not sit still but more athletic, one I have left is more of the big block head chocolate and is very calm(he is 12 1/2 yrs old now and slowing down) and has never bounced off the walls.

Both very good dogs as pets but as difference as night and day Actually the younger one(he is one I have left ) would have made a better dog for hunting but never attempted to train him Older one ran off, did that a few times over years but we seemed to always find him, and we never saw him again Looked for months for him

So from my experience it is just the actual dog and not the breed or bloodline

Look into the English lines, they seem to be a little more laid back. Check out the dam and the sire, you'll have a direct reflective of one of them.....

Quote Originally Posted by wkjohns View Post
    English setters make fine house pets and have the best personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is true.

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

British/English Lab

Buy American.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Buy American.

download.jpeg.jpg
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson