Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Labs

Default Opinions on Labs

Alright guys I’m in the process of purchasing a new home, and am looking to get a pet that will also accompany me at work and in the field. I have grown up with hounds. I have coon hunted for over ten years now. With hounds certain lines are known for certain traits. Is this the same with labs? My current roommate has a man of a chocolate lab that is an effin’ crack head. You cannot walk past the dog without him grabbing a toy or log and being an ass about it. The dog is high strung, and I hate it. Looking for a calmer ‘line’ with a good disposition. I know breeding is a bit of a crap shoot but looking to stack the odds in my favor. Any input on the direction I should look is appreciated.

How often does your roommate exercise his lab? That’s my first question. Our lab is great. He has his quirks but is a great dog. A dog is as good as you make it. Lots of time training with it and you will have a great dog at home, work, and hunting. Buy a puppy and just expect it to be a good dog...you will be disappointed. All of my dogs shortcomings can be directly attributed to me.

In my experience golden retrievers have a much better natural temperament than a lab of any shade.

Get a black one and problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    In my experience golden retrievers have a much better natural temperament than a lab of any shade.
    Watch your mouth.

lab > golden retarded

It’s as if you can’t wear this dog out, I’ve ran him miles behind my four wheeler to only start piddling in the yard and he’s back to being a crack head. The reason I asked some hounds I’ve bought in the past have been full tilt 100 % of the time. I couldn’t agree more that a man can make a dog to suit him.

Labs are retarded. But much better than those ghey gray dogs with the docked tails and cat buttholes.

My black lab is wide open when we're outside. As soon as he's in my truck, dogbox, house, or office, he's as mellow as can be.

6_205242-540x540.jpg

I got an English lab and she is pretty calm. She can spin up quickly, but generally a calm dog. Short, stocky, and built like a tank.

Watch your mouth about goldens... my golden would have something to say about that. He has saved my labs butt a couple times. Funny story to follow if you care:

We (wife and 5 and 7 year old kids) were walking our dogs in the neighborhood one evening. We came up on a German shepherd that wasnt on a leash and about 75 yds away from its owner. The German shepherd starts a fight with my lab(British line). I told my golden(American field trial line) to sit and was hoping that the brawl would stop. I wasn’t going to break it up because I need my hands for work. The German shepherd gets the advantage and my lab yelps. In a blink of an eye my golden had the German shepherd on his back with its tail between its legs.

I used it as a teaching moment for my kids about World War Two. The Germans (German shepherd) picked a fight with the British (lab) and the Americans (golden) came in to save the day.

Good story MM. I thought that my GWP was just wired wide open, but turns out I'm not a very good obedience dog trainer. (Yet)
    But with some professional help, back on track with the pup!
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-06-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Good story MM. I thought that my GWP was just wired wide open, but turns out I'm not a very good obedience dog trainer. (Yet)
    But with some professional help, back on track with the pup!
    Lol your GWP is wired wide open. Mine is 4 and is barely calming down. He has a fine off switch now though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

You want to see wide open, get yourself a Boykin. All the Labs that I have had were mild by comparison. Crazy little dogs, but absolutely fabulous. Getting another pup shortly.
    Last edited by MKW; 11-06-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    My black lab is wide open when we're outside. As soon as he's in my truck, dogbox, house, or office, he's as mellow as can be.

6_205242-540x540.jpg
    This is mine as well for the most part. He's worn a path around his kennel outside. When I let him out he's wide open. When he's inside, he's chill.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Lol your GWP is wired wide open. Mine is 4 and is barely calming down. He has a fine off switch now though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The off switch is key no matter the breed. Wide open or lazy English lab, I wouldn't trade a pup for anything.

To the OP, whatever dog you get, the more time you spend with it, training, playing, or just hanging out, the better the dog will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    I got an English lab and she is pretty calm. She can spin up quickly, but generally a calm dog. Short, stocky, and built like a tank.
    Mine is the same, she is also fixed. Being fixed def will calm one down some.

All dogs are different. Your best bet is to give Rhett a call and you will get exactly what you want delivered to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Mine is the same, she is also fixed. Being fixed def will calm one down some.
    How much? Mine is still wide open at almost 4. What about laziness and weight gain? Is that something to watchfor later on?
    Last edited by Moose843; 11-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.

You mentioned it'd be with you at work & home. It'll be fine with all that attention. Bored dogs are a menace. Busy dogs are a pleasure.