Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried about my “buddy “

Default Worried about my “buddy “-UPDATED sadly

Some of y’all with labs(I guess dogs in general ) may have some insight into this

My chocolate lab is 12 1/2 yrs old. We have noticed his appetite seems to be not all that much and he has lost a good bit of weight over last few months . He has always been a “grown “ dog

Pretty much stays on screened in porch and sleeps most of time but does get up when I go out on porch and in back yard. Does not have any problem going up and down steps and walking around

Friend of mine has brother to him, he had his at Vet few weeks back (similar situation) and Vet told him 12-14 yrs is max for most labs

Does not seem to be in any pain or anything

Is this common with them, We just had to have a boston terrier put down that was 18 yrs old but she took a very big turn for the worse and it was very obvious .

Do not want my “buddy “ to suffer so what are some obvious signs to look for down the road

Down side to have a pet
    Last edited by tprice; 11-25-2019 at 08:50 PM.

I go by if they:
    are in obvious physical pain
    quit eating and drinking
    start peeing and pooping themselves
    otherwise just look like they aren't enjoying being alive anymore

You'll know when it's time.

These are questions to ask your vet when you take the dog in to be examined because it is acting abnormally.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Down side to have a pet
    A dog will give you some of the best days of your life. And one of the worst.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

But it's worth it...
    Every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    These are questions to ask your vet when you take the dog in to be examined because it is acting abnormally.
    Agree with this!

Put my buddy of 16 years down in August. A sassy fellow from Laps of Love came and did it at the house. He was scared of the vet and we didn’t want him to stress at the end. Worst day I’ve had since losing my mom. Took me 5 minutes to explain to the vet that I was there to pick up his ashes because I’d start to cry every time I opened my mouth. The one day I didn’t have a pen and paper in my pocket.

Massed pipes and drums played “Amazing Grace” all the way home at max volume with the windows down and his wooden urn sitting in his spot on the center console. “Taps” was played in the driveway.

Then I took him to his final resting place. The Martha Washington table behind the sofa in the family room.

I had to put Nell, one of my GSP’s, down yesterday, she would have been 17 in February. She just told me Monday afternoon that she was done. You could tell that she hurt when she walked and would let out a cry/moan if one of the other girls got close. I gave her something for pain and inflammation to see if she’d be better Tuesday AM, she wasn’t. Her heart was still strong but her body was just worn out. Done this enough to know that they’ll tell you. If your buddy isn’t acting right it could be something minor like arthritis pain, take him to the vet. Being done and not feeling well are two different things.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This right here.
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Put my buddy of 16 years down in August. A sassy fellow from Laps of Love came and did it at the house. He was scared of the vet and we didn’t want him to stress at the end. Worst day I’ve had since losing my mom. Took me 5 minutes to explain to the vet that I was there to pick up his ashes because I’d start to cry every time I opened my mouth. The one day I didn’t have a pen and paper in my pocket.

Massed pipes and drums played “Amazing Grace” all the way home at max volume with the windows down and his wooden urn sitting in his spot on the center console. “Taps” was played in the driveway.

Then I took him to his final resting place. The Martha Washington table behind the sofa in the family room.
    Now my eyes are red. Sorry for your loss.

I miss that little bastard. You lose enough people in your life and you might think you’ve become hard. Then a grubby little dog that pees on his own feet makes you realize you’re a big puss.
    Last edited by billyjack; 11-06-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Well came home from a successful deer hunting trip in Illinois and found out my buddy had died during the day . Sadly it was inevitable and already had my mind made up to take him to the vet Tuesday am. Wife sat on porch last night with him and did not think he would make it long

Almost 12 1/2 yrs old and as gentle a big ole block head chocolate as you could ask for

Sure will miss when I sit on the screen porch watching tv while enjoying bourbon and a cigar with him laying his chin on my leg wanting me to rub his head. When I would quit he would nuzzle under my hand to keep doing it

Hard part of having a pet

RIP Vegas. 2007-2019. Gonna miss my buddy.

Sorry for your loss
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Sorry for your loss.

Hate this part.

Sorry for your loss.

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

Sad time - sorry for your loss but your memories are forever......
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

All dogs go to heaven.

Hate it for you and the family. It's the hardest part of having a dog but something we willingly do over and over....

and it's worth it everytime.

The price of a good dog is the heartache at the end. It sucks, but the memories will forever be there.

Sorry to hear that it is a very painful process for sure.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.