Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hearing Protection While Duck Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    Palmetto Bug what brand are you using and can you get them online?
    Mine are the E.A.R. brand. I got them through one of my shooting coaches.

There is a couple that travels around with the clays shooting circuit to all the big tournaments that have a really good reputation for setting people up. The woman's nickname is "Grandma" or "Mom" or something similar. Gander would know who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    Their stuff looks good... But holy damn fuck. I guess you are putting a price on your health... But damn. The premium ones have the wind cancellation. At least they have a 30 day trial period
    Yes sir. I know the struggles I have now with hearing loss and the constant ringing. I’m going to do what I can to make sure it doesn’t get worse
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Yes sir. I know the struggles I have now with hearing loss and the constant ringing. I’m going to do what I can to make sure it doesn’t get worse
    I was in highschool when I shot 8 times one evening from a climber. It was 6 days before the ringing stopped. After that I had a plug for my left ear and I got rid of the break on my boss. Shotguns are not as loud, but I do not want to wake up one day and it be too late
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Sportin taught me how to use 2 cig butts as earplugs. Only thing you gotta watch out for is getting tobaccer shake down in your brain. I won’t dove hunt without them and won’t let my boy shoot til he burns 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I use electronic muffs, like others have commented, I'm trying to preserve what I have.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Sportin taught me how to use 2 cig butts as earplugs. Only thing you gotta watch out for is getting tobaccer shake down in your brain. I won’t dove hunt without them and won’t let my boy shoot til he burns 2.
    I know a guy whose sister's cousin got hooked on nicotine that way. Now he uses the little dip pouches instead of butts. He was thinking about going to a Juul but they were too expensive.

I use some Safariland impulse plugs I picked up from Walmart for maybe 15 or 20 bucks, and have been really happy with them. They allow me to hear the birds and fellow hunters just fine. Have not been able to afford to get into electronics, and the foam or silicone plugs make it so I can't hear birds and end up missing opportunities. Foam plugs I always ended up popping them out with the intention of putting back in when shooting time came, but of course they would sit in my pocket through shooting in reality. If you don't wear anything or don't encourage youth to protect their hearing - please reconsider. At this point I am trying to hang on to what hearing I have left, but what I normally hear is somewhere between a cicada/cricket jamboree somewhere high over my left shoulder or the intense sensation that an A-sharp tuning fork is drilling into my skull.

I purchased a pair of Decibullz percussive filter ear plugs this spring to solve my ear protection problem. These allow you to hear fairly well (hushed conversation at close range) but filter out loud noises like gun shots. Although they are probably not as effective as the battery powered ear muffs.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I really wish I had protected my hearing to avoid the constant ring / whistle that I have now. Folks with young hunters please protect their hearing. I have one son with tinnitus and we all now wear electronic hearing protection.

Youth guns have extremely short barrels....that helped contribute to my moderate hearing loss.
    What do you recommend for kids?

For a while I use electronic earmuffs that do not prevent a good cheek mount. Bulky coats seem to be more likely to prevent proper mounting

I was convinced to go to hearing protection after enduring an ear pounding teal opener sitting in between two other gunners who both burned more than a box of shells to get half their limit. Now I am planning to get sound amplifying ear plugs as I've heard they are great.
    Last edited by rayshow; 11-25-2020 at 09:11 AM.

I wear the muffs as well, but often sit with one ear clear. I've found if you practice with them, they do not bother you when in the field. Like others have said, direction is tough at first.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

I hate y'all for making this thread. Now it sounds like I have a Pratt and Whitney turbofan whine in each ear that I can't turn off. Whatever you do, do something more than just talk about protecting your hearing...

Last year I bought a pair of passive plugs and they work great.

It's not the best long-term solution but I've been improvising by using my Samsung Ear Buds that I use when running and working out. You can turn on the "ambient sound" and it picks up the sounds around you, albeit not too incredibly well, then mutes loud noises higher than 86 or so dB. It's no $1000 pair of customs, but until I win the lottery they'll do.
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-25-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft