Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection While Duck Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I’m right there with ya. Should have done something long ago. Use Wildears now and can hear whistling wings and gadwall quacks again
    D which ones do you use? I looked at some and they were big $.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Where did you get them Gander?
    There are folks making custom molded ear plugs at all the large sporting clays tournaments. I would be willing to bet an audiologist would be able to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I don't wear shit and niether do my kids.
    Nope but after bout a zillion rounds I can still hear a little outa my right ear. Left is gone
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Dammit, reading this thread made me focus on that ringing in my right ear (shoot lefty).

Thinking about getting a Walkers Game Ear for that side and leave my left ear alone, it is fine. Anyone else do anything like that?

I went ahead and shelled out what I thought was big money probably eight or nine years ago for custom fit electronic plugs. If I amortized the cost against the benefit, they were cheap. I already had loud tinnitus from a lifetime of shooting and 14 years in a machine shop and I'm really close to the point of getting hearing aids like all my friends. I use mine for clay and target shooting and for hunting. I don't have to take them in and out and get ear slapped when I forget to put them back in. They have an added benefit for hunting in that I can turn them up and hear a gnat walking across velvet or turn them down and only hear what's in my head (which gets pretty noisy). Being able to hear ringnecks overhead or what the guys on the other side of the dove field are talking about is nice. Being able to tune them out is also nice.

If electronic muffs were more comfortable and didn't affect how I mount a gun, I might wear them more often. The plugs are comfortable whatever the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I went ahead and shelled out what I thought was big money probably eight or nine years ago for custom fit electronic plugs. If I amortized the cost against the benefit, they were cheap. I already had loud tinnitus from a lifetime of shooting and 14 years in a machine shop and I'm really close to the point of getting hearing aids like all my friends. I use mine for clay and target shooting and for hunting. I don't have to take them in and out and get ear slapped when I forget to put them back in. They have an added benefit for hunting in that I can turn them up and hear a gnat walking across velvet or turn them down and only hear what's in my head (which gets pretty noisy). Being able to hear ringnecks overhead or what the guys on the other side of the dove field are talking about is nice. Being able to tune them out is also nice.

If electronic muffs were more comfortable and didn't affect how I mount a gun, I might wear them more often. The plugs are comfortable whatever the weather.
    The ones I saw were over a grand are we talking about that kind of money. Reason I’m asking is I’ve been looking at several brands trying to figure out what’s what.

Mine were right at a grand that many years ago but there are more choices nowadays. I was trying to talk my brother into buying some of the $300 one-size-fits-all electronic plugs and mounting them in a pair of the mold-them-yourself passive plugs to make them more comfortable. They wouldn't be quite as streamlined and unobtrusive but he wasn't concerned about looks.

I don't miss the grand I spent 7 or 8 years ago but I would miss the ability to hear better now.

Can you tell any direction that the noise is coming from with any of these or do you just hear the noise. I’m looking for something as well and would rather spend what is needed to get the best ones. Instead of buying 3 pairs of crappy ones and end up spending the same amount of money, just get the good ones first.

Yes. I have normal ability to sense the direction of a sound. The distance, however can be hard to discern until you get used to them. When I first used them while turkey hunting, I had them turned way up and found myself trying to call a turkey that gobbled maybe a mile away and I was yelping so quietly that it probably couldn't be heard at bow range. When deer hunting, it's easy to get buck fever from a squirrel feeding behind you.

Wind noise can be tiresome too on blustery days. On really windy days, you get the same feeling of relief from taking them out as you do from taking off rubber boots you've walked in all day.

I started wearing these a few years back. I tie them into my lanyard so they are always around my neck.

https://m.galeton.com/product/detail...gaAh9JEALw_wcB
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

For those of you that use some sort of game ear, does it effect the way you blow a duck call? I have a hard time walking in my electric muffs. It sounds like I am walking on bubble wrap. I imagine a duck call would sound either muffled or ungodly loud with them.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I have the walker game ears (look like hearing aids). They are nice for the reason they are made but duck hunting from a boat on a breezy day the hull slap would overpower any ability to hear birds. As for a duck call, you have to turn the volume down or else get a lot of electronic feedback.

I was amazed at how much better I could hear wings flying overhead.

i spent the money on some like 5 years ago, I have the Westone DefendEar ones, custom fit. For my job hearing is a must so ear protection is as well, I will agree that the high winds can sometimes be annoying but you can spend a bit more and get ones that block that out as well. If/when these break you can just get new electronics and I would upgrade to the wind cancelling ones.

Palmetto Bug what brand are you using and can you get them online?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    D which ones do you use? I looked at some and they were big $.
    I have the wildear and they were around $1100. 5 different settings and volume control.
    80-20 Genaration

Don’t know anything about them but maybe an option

https://tetrahearing.com/
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Westone custom electronic, wear them all day during the week and on the weekends shooting.

ETA: I had the passive ( non electric) plugs before and couldn't hear the suttle sounds of hunting or communicate well with them in.
    Which model of the westones did you get?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shit I guess I’m going to be deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Don’t know anything about them but maybe an option

https://tetrahearing.com/
    Their stuff looks good... But holy damn fuck. I guess you are putting a price on your health... But damn. The premium ones have the wind cancellation. At least they have a 30 day trial period
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
    Which model of the westones did you get?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Defend Ear Digital 2. I like them, but as said, wind can be annoying. It's not annoying to the point that I don't wear them or anything though. After you get accustomed to wearing them, even a primer pop dog training sounds loud with out then.

The first model I had were the acoustic/musician ones. I got those originally for work.
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-08-2019 at 05:08 AM.