Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Protection While Duck Hunting

Default Hearing Protection While Duck Hunting

Do you guys wear ear plugs when duck hunting that muffle only past a certain decibel level? I do not like wearing foam ones that block all sound and feel like the available options have come a long way since Walker's Game Ear were the only one on the market. What if anything are yall using? Any help or recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

Just started trying some. I saw a thread on here a few months back and got some off amazon that were $14. They are not electronic. They have a little plug that you can manipulate to allow some in or "none". I am now looking for some electronic ones too...the first day I wore them I had a pheasant hunter walk up to about 20 yards behind me and was about to let loose on my decoys. It freaked me out a bit because he was directly behind me and would have been shooting right over where I was laying on the ground. They might be fine in some situations but I would imagine I would have heard him earlier with electronics or just without any ear plugs.

HUH?

I wear custom molded ear plugs for all my shooting and do the same while hunting. They are relatively cheap easy to carry. When there aren't any birds working I just loosen one enough to communicate with my hunting partners. A quick turn and I can have them back in quickly. And they don't require any batteries.
    Last edited by Gander; 11-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Where did you get them Gander?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    HUH?
    I make sure people know how to properly shoot from a blind.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

I wear the walkers game ears. One in each ear

The Old Man is deaf as a post. I am not far behind. Those subtle quacks, whines, and mews that ducks make won't be heard with hearing protection.

Choose wisely...

I'm deaf.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

They make great hearing aids nowadays. You willprobably be able to get new ears in 20 years.

Westone custom electronic, wear them all day during the week and on the weekends shooting.

ETA: I had the passive ( non electric) plugs before and couldn't hear the suttle sounds of hunting or communicate well with them in.
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-06-2019 at 08:32 PM.

I have the surefire ones from Walmart they work fine, when I don’t leave them at home

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The Old Man is deaf as a post. I am not far behind. Those subtle quacks, whines, and mews that ducks make won't be heard with hearing protection.

Choose wisely...

That’s my problem! Duck hunting, for me, is at minimum 60% hearing them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

My left ear is gone. I don't, make my kids wear them though.

I wear the electronic muffs when dove hunting and duck hunting in a blind or a pit. I wish my father had started me on them as a kid. Hearing turkeys when I’m 70 is important to me.

My kids wear them in the dove field, or they don’t go.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Electronic muffs. They tend to start bothering me after about an hour so I'll take them off in the blind if it's slow. Usually regular plugs for doves when it's hot. My dad is completely deaf in his left ear and has less than 50% left in the right. I don't ever want to end up like that.

I really wish I had protected my hearing to avoid the constant ring / whistle that I have now. Folks with young hunters please protect their hearing. I have one son with tinnitus and we all now wear electronic hearing protection.

Youth guns have extremely short barrels....that helped contribute to my moderate hearing loss.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I don't wear shit and niether do my kids.

Sun causes skin cancer - sunscreen companies
    Gun shots cause hearing loss - ear plug companies

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

Choose wisely...
    I’m right there with ya. Should have done something long ago. Use Wildears now and can hear whistling wings and gadwall quacks again
    80-20 Genaration