Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Reloader Press

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    So if I bought the RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit, what else would I need?
    What you really need is a friend who is an experienced handloader. I am not a big fan of kits. It seems like they have a few things that I would want and some that I don’t prefer. Get a couple of manuals and start reading. One of the manuals needs to be the Lyman manual. Learning the mechanics of hand loading is just one part of the equation though. You need to learn cause-effect relationships to be able to figure out things. One example is learning how to read group spread and what if often means to load tuning. Another thing that I discovered many years ago and it took a while to figure out was the effect of powder signature on load development. I might write a post on that one......anyway having an experienced mentor can shorten the learning curve.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    What you really need is a friend who is an experienced handloader. I am not a big fan of kits. It seems like they have a few things that I would want and some that I don’t prefer. Get a couple of manuals and start reading. One of the manuals needs to be the Lyman manual. Learning the mechanics of hand loading is just one part of the equation though. You need to learn cause-effect relationships to be able to figure out things. One example is learning how to read group spread and what if often means to load tuning. Another thing that I discovered many years ago and it took a while to figure out was the effect of powder signature on load development. I might write a post on that one......anyway having an experienced mentor can shorten the learning curve.
    I really do not know anyone close that reloads. In my younger days I reloaded duck and dove loads, still have the MEC loader, but rifle ammo is a whole new world to me. i think I'll read up first before I buy. Thanks for all the info.
    Last edited by ftroop82; 11-07-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

I really do not know anyone close that reloads. In my younger days I reloaded duck and dove loads, still have the MEC loader, but rifle ammo is a whole new world to me. i think I'll read up first before I buy. Thanks for all the info.
    Rifle’s no different than shotgun other than measuring the powder accurately. You get a routine and follow the same steps every single time. Some try to make it harder than it is. No need to get intimidated, my 11yo can do it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I always thought rifle was much easier than shotgun loading.

Good luck. There are enough guys on here that can walk you through the initial set up that you should be fine.

Bolt guns are relatively easy as to setting the dies up. You can fire form the brass and work backwards. For gas guns you will need to get as close to "0" on the head spacing as possible. A good "MO" gage will help you out. RCBS still has one, if you have a old barrel and a lathe you can make one your self. A more expensive option but probably one of the best out on the market in my opinion is:
    https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/case-gauge-3/
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Loading rifle cartridges is pretty easy, but developing accurate loads (knowing what to do to make them accurate) is a whole nuther matter. I have a few targets on my bulletin board at work that illustrates some interesting load development lessons learned . Wish it was easier to post the pics...... one of them shows how seating depth can (with some loads in some rifles) greatly affect accuracy. The target is from a Savage bolt action in .223, with two identical loads. One group is around 1.5 MOA. By just changing the seating depth to .003 off, the group shrank to about 0.4 MOA. All shot on the same day in the same conditions.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-07-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Then go here and watch as many as you can stomach , take notes on areas where you are confused.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ifle+reloading
    Genesis 9;2

Where are you located

I will chime in here, RCBS and others make GREAT presses but many many years ago I bought a Lee Press since I was very young and on a tight budget

35 yrs later I am STILL using that press and it works fine.

Not knocking the others but this is what has worked for me all these years

I actually like the Hornady Lock and Load press.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...oad-classic#!/

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    He said he wanted a more accurate round that means Forester Co Ax. No run out / concentricity issues possible with that one while you RCBS fellas keep rolling wobblies.
    You will never be able to get over concentricity. I’m laughing at you but only because I know exactly how you feel 😂
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I reloaded all through the 80's and 90's, I had time back then and gave it up when I expanded to owning 4 small businesses.

Rifles and factory ammo back then were not nearly as accurate as off the shelf rifles and ammo today, but through careful load development we could take the average 1.5-2 moa rifle down to a cloverleaf. It really provides great satisfaction when you build something yourself that performs at that level.

On another note- if you don't have easy access to a rifle range- forget about it, buy a moa guaranteed rifle, quality scope, find the ammo it likes and carry on. It take quite a bit of range time to get those great groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I reloaded all through the 80's and 90's, I had time back then and gave it up when I expanded to owning 4 small businesses.

Rifles and factory ammo back then were not nearly as accurate as off the shelf rifles and ammo today, but through careful load development we could take the average 1.5-2 moa rifle down to a cloverleaf. It really provides great satisfaction when you build something yourself that performs at that level.

On another note- if you don't have easy access to a rifle range- forget about it, buy a moa guaranteed rifle, quality scope, find the ammo it likes and carry on. It take quite a bit of range time to get those great groups.
    Very true. It takes a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Where are you located
    Goose Creek, SC
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Not really.

Getting your equipment and setting it up and learning how to load is what it is.

Developing the initial load and determining the best powder/case/primer/projo/length combo will take some time, but after you have that data it’s the same each time.

You just walk in and pump out a few rounds.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post

That's my problem... My Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 300 Win Mag with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 Riflescope shoots clover leaf at 100 yds and has dropped deer right in there tracks with a 130 grain Federal Premium Barnes Tipped TSX Rifle Ammo that I cannot find anywhere online or in stores. I only have 5 rounds left, so this is where the reloader questions comes into play, I can find the bullets, but no ammo.

~Chief Seattle ~

Take a look at H-4350 or N-160 powder and Federal 215-M primers for a start. Get a Lee Collet neck sizer and a Redding FL sizer. You will eventually need a collet case body sizer too since it is belted. I forgot the name of the one I have but a guy named Larry Willis in Florida makes it.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Find some federal brass if you haven’t saved yours

Go to Barnes website look up 300win mag loads for 130gr projo

They will more than likely have the exact load federal is selling as their premium. It will not be labeled as such and there will be a tolorance of +/- 4 grains.

You will have to experiment to figure out which one it is but in the process you will more than likely find what that rifle likes even more.

For instance let’s say the actual load is 80gr of RL19
    You may find the rifle actually like 79gr of RL19
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

That's my problem... My Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon 300 Win Mag with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 Riflescope shoots clover leaf at 100 yds and has dropped deer right in there tracks with a 130 grain Federal Premium Barnes Tipped TSX Rifle Ammo that I cannot find anywhere online or in stores. I only have 5 rounds left, so this is where the reloader questions comes into play, I can find the bullets, but no ammo.
    Just run the same ammo in TSX, or buy that Barnes Vortex ammo. BTW that tip doesn't mean much inside of 500 really.
    Genesis 9;2

300 win mag shooting 130's?