Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Reloader Press

Default Beginner Reloader Press

What would be a good Beginner Reloader Press for 300 Win. Mag. Ammo? Not in for volume just want to build a more accurate round.
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Buy an RCBS single stage and a hornady automatic powder dispenser. END THREAD.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Rock Chucker kit. It’s not a beginner press it’s a beginner - end of life press. Been using the same one for 32yrs.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If you just want to try out reloading, Lee makes a hand press. Think I paid maybe $50 for mine. Cheaper alternative till you determine if it is worthwhile.

I sometimes use mine to reload at the kitchen table versus a hot garage.
    Last edited by billyjack; 11-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.

RCBS rock chucker is a good press and is currently what I use. I have a two lee single stages and a rock chucker. The rock chucker is built significantly better than the two lees. I use the lees for depriming and seating.

Also you can ignore the Hornady auto throw because like the rest of the automatic dispensers, they are shit. The Chargemaster is the only auto dispenser I would buy that isn’t a lab grade set up.

He said he wanted a more accurate round that means Forester Co Ax. No run out / concentricity issues possible with that one while you RCBS fellas keep rolling wobblies.
    Genesis 9;2

Rock Chucker here as well. Have fun, it’s addictive and very satisfying.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Buy a Rock Chucker. Reloading is fun but you’ll be hard pressed to surpass the accuracy potential of the match grade ammo you can buy today without a significant investment in time and equipment.

What FLS said.

I just bought the MEC to replace my old Rock Chucker and it's the tits! 10 times as smooth and has the floating shell holder like the Forster.

Thanks for the info... but after looking at all the recommendations, I'm not sure of everything I need to get started. What would be the basic materials to load ammo? Let's say one round (ie press, die, etc.) would I need a tumbler?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Find a used single stage press and a good mechanical scale. If buying a used scale, look for one made by Ohaus (older RCBS and a few other brands). Scale, press, dies, shellholder, caliper, case lube/pad, a manual and a few case neck brushes are the absolute minimum to start. This is what makes the starter kits a good idea if buying new. Do you have a friend nearby that loads? Ask them to teach you.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Find a used single stage press and a good mechanical scale. If buying a used scale, look for one made by Ohaus (older RCBS and a few other brands). Scale, press, dies, shellholder, caliper, case lube/pad, a manual and a few case neck brushes are the absolute minimum to start. This is what makes the starter kits a good idea if buying new. Do you have a friend nearby that loads? Ask them to teach you.
    Solid advice.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Press: rcbs RC
    Dies: hornady if on a budget, Redding if not. Don’t forget lube. I like spray lube.
    Shell holders: I like the Redding 6pc set
    Scale: the hornady lock-n-load has been fantastic for the money. Also like the charge master if you wanna spend it. Also get a trickler
    Hand primer: rcbs universal, the one with the square tray
    Calipers: this is a must must must have. Buy the nicest you can afford.

Add in funnels, trimmers, shell trays, etc. I’m not a fan of the reloading kits. They are a fine place to start, but there are some things you will want to upgrade right off the bat.

Id rather have a factory rifle and a reloading bench than a custom rifle shooting shelf ammo. Any day.

Also you’ll love the versatility you gain from loading. You can shoot different projectiles and weights that aren’t offered from box ammo.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Press: rcbs RC
    Dies: hornady if on a budget, Redding if not. Don’t forget lube. I like spray lube.
    Shell holders: I like the Redding 6pc set
    Scale: the hornady lock-n-load has been fantastic for the money. Also like the charge master if you wanna spend it. Also get a trickler
    Hand primer: rcbs universal, the one with the square tray
    Calipers: this is a must must must have. Buy the nicest you can afford.

Add in funnels, trimmers, shell trays, etc. I’m not a fan of the reloading kits. They are a fine place to start, but there are some things you will want to upgrade right off the bat.

Id rather have a factory rifle and a reloading bench than a custom rifle shooting shelf ammo. Any day.

Also you’ll love the versatility you gain from loading. You can shoot different projectiles and weights that aren’t offered from box ammo.
    A good press will last a lifetime. I am still using the one I started with in the 1970’s. I have upgraded to the Redding Big Boss which has more leverage than the Rockchucker....but the Rockchucker is a very good press. You will need a number of small items like a hand primer that has a good feel to it. The Lee is cheap but works fine. Another couple of Lee products that are indispensable are the collet sizer and the trimmer system. A lot of Lee products are cheap but fairly functional but a few are really good products. The beauty of the collet sizer is that you can partially size (without lube) to make a slip fit case that enables you to establish your seating depth with the bullet touching or a few thousands off, quite easily. Seating depth can make a significant difference in accuracy.

I could go on and on but typing on a phone is a pain.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 11-06-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Thanks for all the info, but it sounds a little overwhelming, I may have to read up a little before I start buying a ton of stuff.
    Last edited by ftroop82; 11-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.

~Chief Seattle ~

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, but it sounds a little overwhelming, I may have to read up a little before I start buying a ton of stuff.
    I thought the same thing but there is really nothing to it. Got the rock chucker kit and the rcbs chargemaster (makes it super easy), some different odds and ends. I doubt I’ll save any money in the long run but I like having the ability to load what I want and the accuracy improvements on that Remington 700 I have in 300wsm make it the ticket.

So if I bought the RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit, what else would I need?

~Chief Seattle ~

I have a Camdex for sale
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop82 View Post
    So if I bought the RCBS 9354 RC Supreme Master Kit, what else would I need?
    Some dial or digital calipers. I've got nice, expensive ones and several sets of cheap $20 ones and can measure just as well with any. The calipers will come in handy all over the house and farm.

You may need cartridge specific dies and a shell holder. I just looked at that kit online and wasn't sure if it comes with dies.