Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youth bow hunter questions

As a left eye dominant right handed shooter. Make him shoot left if his dominant eye is left. Period.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    As a left eye dominant right handed shooter. Make him shoot left if his dominant eye is left. Period.
    If it were only that easy. I can’t make him do it and take the fun out of it. What I try to do is let him shoot both ways and show him that he’s a better shot left handed and ease him in to making the decision for himself. We’ll get there but it’s probably going to take someone other than dad telling him. Palmetto Bug told him but it was only after I initiated the conversation about it so instantly PB was discredited we’ll get there

I started out shooting bows lefty due to arm strength but found I could see better in dim light with both eyes open so I switched to my dominant right side. Switching over was not really difficult and now I have to think about which hand I pick up the bow with. I don't think it's nearly as important to be on the dominant side as with wingshooting but it still is advantageous to shoot with both eyes open.

He should be drawing back to his face. At some point, he may want to give up the peep sight for a kisser button that touches his lips or, better yet, a tooth at full draw for a consistent anchor point. He is also giving up some speed/energy by not having as long a power stroke as possible. Don't over do it either though because it's better to have a slightly short DL rather than too long when hunting and shooting from odd positions. You might want to see if that release can be shortened.

Some basic lessons now will keep him from having to struggle to break bad habits later. As mentioned, he's gripping the bow instead of letting it ride in the saddle of his thumb. That causes torque that ruins accuracy. It can also make it more dangerous to let down if he can't take the shot. If you torque while undrawing, you can pull the string to the side enough for it to jump off the wheels and it's like dry firing the bow. Another safety tip it to never draw a bow without an arrow on it. It will keep you from dry firing.

You need to start working on a customized safety harness rig. Bow stands often don't have safety bars and can be nosebleed high and precarious. Start him out realizing safety gear is not optional but an essential part of his bow hunting gear.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

My youngest is right handed and left eye dominant. He didn’t want to listen to me so I got him to ride with me to the archery shop knowing they would see it and point it out to him without me bringing it up.

He will enjoy it much more when he is set up and shooting correctly - using the equipment the way it is designed to be used.

Funny thing is he was talking about it at lunch today with his great uncle and he also pointed out the my son was left eye dominant. I wasn’t there but about 30 minutes he came to me and said I think I’m left eye dominant. Go figure. 9 going on 19. We’ll get him straight. I just need him to have fun right now.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

You are right, you want him to have fun and enjoy it. He needs the right equipment and it needs to be sized for him and once that is in place he can wear it out in the back yard or woodlot across the street.

If you bought him a baseball bat and he picked it up by the barrel and tried to hit the ball with the grip you would show him how to properly hold the bat and hit the ball with the barrel - same thing here. Glad he is showing interest in the bow and glad you are getting him set up.

Last night the peep fell out of the bow so we were forced to visit a shop today. Got a good new peep, his bow dialed in for him and some lessons. We also let him shoot a left handed bow. According to the professionals at Saluda Archery in Piedmont (we are up here for Christmas with my fam) my son is a natural both ways and he should shoot whichever way he’s comfortable. He’s busting the target both ways so we won’t change for now.