Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth bow hunter questions

Default Youth bow hunter questions

Talk to me. I know literally nothing about bows. I mean i know they’ve got wheels and strings and whisker biscuits and they are fun to shoot out of western or English saddles...I’m not real sure, but that’s about it.

My 9yo has expressed an interest in learning and even starting to talk about Christmas presents. I don’t even know where to start. What all is needed? What am I looking for? Does he need to be measured and custom fit? Or is there something off the shelf that will work? How adjustable are these things? Can one last him several years or will this be like shoes that he’ll out grow next month? I held a couple at PSA this weekend...is $350 really what these things cost for a youth bow and then how much is budgeted for all the other gadgets that bolt on?

Thanks
    Last edited by reeltight; 11-04-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Following this also. My boys sat on the porch for hours the other day shooting this piece of crap bow. I am wanting to go this route also for Christmas.

I got my son a Diamond Infinite Edge several years ago. The draw weight and draw length is adjustable from 15 - 70 lbs and something crazy like 12 - 32 inches.

He started hunting with it when he was 12. Draw weight was 41 lbs and he could hit pretty good with it. He has killed 6 with it. It will shoot slam through the shoulders at 41 lbs.

He is 15 now and got a girlfriend. I think he has bowhunted twice this year.

It is a real good bow for a kid because they can't outgrow it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    I got my son a Diamond Infinite Edge several years ago. The draw weight and draw length is adjustable from 15 - 70 lbs and something crazy like 12 - 32 inches.

He started hunting with it when he was 12. Draw weight was 41 lbs and he could hit pretty good with it. He has killed 6 with it. It will shoot slam through the shoulders at 41 lbs.

He is 15 now and got a girlfriend. I think he has bowhunted twice this year.

It is a real good bow for a kid because they can't outgrow it.
    Got the same bow for my 10 year old last year. You really can’t go wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are the adjustments made? Is it something that I can do or more of a bow shop type of thing. Bows are not my specialty.

Diamond or Mission. Both have adjustable draw lengths and wide range of draw weights.

You can make the adjustments yourself I believe.

Go see Bud at The Archery Shop. His shop is in Summerville.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Buy him a 30-06

Diamond Edge or Mission Craze are the way to go. Tons of adjustment for him to grow with it. Start him out light, less than 30 pounds until he gets stronger. I killed my first deer with an Alpine Micro at 35 pounds and a 24 inch draw at 11 years old. I killed 11 deer including 2 bucks over 200 pounds with draw weights ranging from 35-50 pounds from 11 to 16 years old. Keep it simple, easy and fun and he will stick with it for life.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 11-04-2019 at 09:34 PM.

The Mission bow that adjusts is a quality bow that he can use forever if he is so inclined
    Carolina Counsel

Check the archery talk classifieds. Got some deals over there

Go See Bud at the Archery Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Check the archery talk classifieds. Got some deals over there
    I agree with this. Buy him a Diamond Infinite Edge off of AT. You can make all the adjustments himself and it will last him for years. I'd also buy the accessories like sight, rest, etc. off of AT too. I'd also go with a good cut on contact head.

I got a buddy with a good deal on a mission riot.

Mission riot , whisker biscuit , g5 headloc 5arrow quiver , g5 optix sight with light , g5 meta peep , octane stabilizer, also comes with a scott caliper release.
    PM me and I'll get you his number so you can talk to him about it if you are interested.
    Doug

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Funny...I'm sitting here looking at these now. PM sent for details.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    How are the adjustments made? Is it something that I can do or more of a bow shop type of thing. Bows are not my specialty.
    It comes with a manual on how to do it. It is not hard.

The riot is too big for my son. Anyone else feel free to jump on it.

You won’t be disappointed with a Mission.

Going to go see bud about a new Mission Hammr next week.

Saw this on the Charleston area Craigslist:

https://charleston.craigslist.org/sp...018019835.html

The rest alone sells for more than $100. Your boys will get good with whatever you buy them. We started out with incredibly inferior equipment and had fun with it. It's hard to go too wrong with all the great choices nowadays.