Thread: Locksmith?

Default Locksmith?

Are there any locksmiths on the site? I recall that there is but cant remember who.
    I have a problem, unless I locate the key I had on me this weekend. I have an old safe/gun cabinet and the company is no longer around. Tread corporation out of Roanoke Va. I think they sold the gun safe portion of their business.
    Anyways, Im locked out and need in. ValuLok safe with a single standard looking key medeco 72s stamped on face of the lock. I have called 2 locksmiths in Charleston. One said they cant do it and the other said they werent sure.... if it comes down to it I can get in the safe but would rather not destroy it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triangle Safe and Lock in West Cola should be able to steer you straight.

803-791-1553
    More fuel = more boost!!

Rooster13 on this site. Shop in Cola.

Thanks guys. The Medeco locks on the TreadloK gun safes are very hard to drill out. They put hardened pins in the face of the lock and regular drill bits generally will not penetrate far enough to open the lock. The 72S is a number UL uses and is not a code number to make a key from. It takes a carbide bit turning at a high rate of speed to penetrate. It also will be hard to find a replacement lock once you get it open as these locks were special made and the screw post on the back of the lock is longer than a standard Medeco cam lock. Call Robert Temples at 843-873-0767 Crackerjack Locksmith or Willie Gamble at 843-572-7602 Berkeley Locksmiths. They are both good friends of mine and tell them Larry at Triangle Safe & Lock in West Columbia told you to call.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Willy Gamble helped me with a really big safe a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    Thanks guys. The Medeco locks on the TreadloK gun safes are very hard to drill out. They put hardened pins in the face of the lock and regular drill bits generally will not penetrate far enough to open the lock. The 72S is a number UL uses and is not a code number to make a key from. It takes a carbide bit turning at a high rate of speed to penetrate. It also will be hard to find a replacement lock once you get it open as these locks were special made and the screw post on the back of the lock is longer than a standard Medeco cam lock. Call Robert Temples at 843-873-0767 Crackerjack Locksmith or Willie Gamble at 843-572-7602 Berkeley Locksmiths. They are both good friends of mine and tell them Larry at Triangle Safe & Lock in West Columbia told you to call.
    Thanks Rooster. Made quite a few phone calls today and came up with these conclusions as well. Going to look hard for the key for a few days. I have never taken the key out of the house and accidentally did this weekend of course.

I did get a quote from someone who said that they could drill out for $65 but that a replacement lock would be $120.
    Rooster, do you think that is the correct lock? I did send him pictures.

East Cooper Lock and Safe in Mt. P is another you might try.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    East Cooper Lock and Safe in Mt. P is another you might try.
    That is who gave me the quote for drilling it out and replacing the lock, after they initially said they cant work on it. Thanks!

Check the washer and dryer. Or under seat of your car
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Check the washer and dryer. Or under seat of your car
    I have searched high and low everywhere around the house. Going to ride back up to property tomorrow and look around.

Worried that the repeated donuts all hunched up on the youth fourwheeler I fixed may have cost me.

You need one of those magnet things on wheels
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    You need one of those magnet things on wheels
    Most keys aren't magnetic.

Neither are boat props but you could try it anyway. I know a guy with scuba gear if this goes that direction.

Larry that owns East Cooper is a good friend as well but I thought he quit working on safes. The Medeco cam lock price is a little high but 65 to drill is very reasonable. The standard Medeco cam lock will not work on that safe if I remember correctly. You will trip over the key after you get it done.

Default Locksmith?

Thanks everyone for their input! FOUND THE KEY. Forgot I changed pants last minute and picked up a pair I forgot I had worn the other morning and felt something a little funny. There they were!! So glad I found it. Going to Jantzen tomorrow to get copies made. One of those things I had been meaning to do and hadn’t gotten around to.

My parents are friends with Larry. One of his techs was who offered to drill and replace. East cooper cannot make medeco keys is what they told me and recommended I take it to Jantzen.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 11-05-2019 at 04:29 PM.

You may find out that it is a restricted Medeco key that they do not have the proper blank to make. As I recall, it was a restricted blank sold to Treadlok and you had to return the warranty card and order from them. I have been a Medeco dealer for over 30 years and they only let us get certain blanks and certain blanks have to come from the companies that own the keyways. If you can't get it done there, let me know and I will contact Medeco to find out if we can order from them. There was a little metal tag that was with the keys originally and that may be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    You may find out that it is a restricted Medeco key that they do not have the proper blank to make. As I recall, it was a restricted blank sold to Treadlok and you had to return the warranty card and order from them. I have been a Medeco dealer for over 30 years and they only let us get certain blanks and certain blanks have to come from the companies that own the keyways. If you can't get it done there, let me know and I will contact Medeco to find out if we can order from them. There was a little metal tag that was with the keys originally and that may be needed.
    Thanks Rooster. I will keep you posted. I am going to head downtown (unfortunately) tomorrow and will see what they say. I dont have a metal tag with the key but there are letters/numbers stamped on the key.

You need to find a locksmith nearby and ask him.
    Last edited by rayshow; 11-18-2020 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    Willy Gamble helped me with a really big safe a number of years ago.
    Bank job?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.