Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paw paws

Default Paw paws

Found a nice patch of pawpaws on our club but no fruit that I can see, is there anything I can do fertilizer wise to improve them for next year?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Not that I know of. Pollination is usually the key and paw paws are notoriously erratic when it comes to pollination. Flies and some beetles tend to be the most common pollinators. The purplish brown flowers don't seem to attract bees and other common pollinators. Also the fruit I got here (Abbeville) this year was late August until about the 2nd week in Sept. The fruit is short lived so you may very well have missed the window.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

There's an article about Paw Paws in this months SC wildlife magazine. It mentioned the pollination issue.

SC Wildlife magazine has really gone down hill. We get 6 mags a year. One is a calendar. And we get the profile story about ex rolling stone band member and his GEORGIA plantation. New one is not much better

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoods View Post
    SC Wildlife magazine has really gone down hill. We get 6 mags a year. One is a calendar. And we get the profile story about ex rolling stone band member and his GEORGIA plantation. New one is not much better
    I though the same thing after I just finished reading the latest issue. Not like it was.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I have 5 big patches on the farm and only one of them had any fruit this year.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I though the same thing after I just finished reading the latest issue. Not like it was.
    What would yall like to see in it? I know the editor and my wife and I contribute articles from time to time. I know he would be interested in feedback. I think it is a great magazine that does a great job with the resources it has. This past issue contained articles from Jim Casada, Pat Robertson, and Jim Mize. All of those writers in one magazine is impressive.

So my question is, what would you like to see in the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    What would yall like to see in it? I know the editor and my wife and I contribute articles from time to time. I know he would be interested in feedback. I think it is a great magazine that does a great job with the resources it has. This past issue contained articles from Jim Casada, Pat Robertson, and Jim Mize. All of those writers in one magazine is impressive.

For starters let's not have an article titled "Rocking the Georgia Pines". Im sure they have their own magazine. The calendar should be an extra mail out not a regular bi- monthly edition. Does Dennis Chastain still contribute? Love articles profiling beautiful places in Sc and a little history to boot

A great question with a hard answer. Seems like I have read some of the same stuff over the years. It is a great magazine don't get me wrong as I have been getting it since the early 60's.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Maybe what redwood said. Kinda hit me wrong but a great article

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoods View Post
    Fact! Wife asked me just last night if I wanted to renew. I declined....
    I remember as a youth, couldn't wait to read it from cover to cover. Now, just a table item
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Is it because you perspective has changed, or the magazine has changed? What was there previously that isn't now?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Is it because you perspective has changed, or the magazine has changed? What was there previously that isn't now?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Hunting and Fishing in South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post

Profiles of adult and youth hunters in training across the state would make a great reoccurring article.
    Just everyday people teaching their children about the outdoors.
    I agree, Chuck Leavell should not be in SC's magazine, poor choice there.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

One of our members on here father is/WAS a great contribution to SC wildlife. The magazine, and calendar (including MOST of the pictures are pathetic). The old ones had great action shots of turkeys and ducks and offshore fishing .... now it’s older photos of bass fishing and Boykin spaniel photo contest BS (and I have a LBD). They need to get their shit together
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I haven’t read an issue in at least 4 years. Its a gift subscription, but they go straight to the trash can without getting opened.

I don't subscribe, but I don't think that anyone associated with that magazine should lose any sleep over what the band of assholes on here find their common opinion.

These idiots would complain that hourly blow jobs just didn't happen often enough.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Thanks for making the point. Again.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I don't subscribe, but I don't think that anyone associated with that magazine should lose any sleep over what the band of assholes on here find their common opinion.

These idiots would complain that hourly blow jobs just didn't happen often enough.
    Exactly. It's SC Wildlife not SC Fur, Fish, and Game. There are plenty of magazines that cover those subjects. Of all the wildlife in South Carolina game animals are a very small percentage. Granted when I was growing up anything that crawled, walked or flew, be it mammal, reptile or fowl was a game animal. But the magazine has to meet a wider audience than just hunters and fishermen.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Profiles of adult and youth hunters in training across the state would make a great reoccurring article.
    Just everyday people teaching their children about the outdoors.
    I agree, Chuck Leavell should not be in SC's magazine, poor choice there.
    Thanks! That’s a good idea.