Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak ID

Default Oak ID

I have a 16 acre field that I plan to slowly turn into deer and upland habitat to include hedgerows, oak, persimmon and switchgrass, along with some strips to plant as I see fit. I eany to experiment with growing oaks from seed. These pictured are abundant near the house. My hardwoods are mostly poplar and gum with some oaks around the edges. Could someone help me with ID and maybe details as to which may grow faster and/or produce more mast. I will likely purchase seedlings to transplant in the future, but I understand they can be finicky with root development. Next year I intend to disc strips and plant the acorns directly. Its still being hayed so I wont do that this year. Instead Im going to try and grow seedlings in pot to transplant next spring.

20191103_142328.jpg

20191103_142406.jpg

20191103_142530.jpg

Looks like a Water Oak
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quercus nigra-water oak

Agreed.

Water oak..... But, when asking for tree ID it is usually helpful to include location, soil type etc.
    Also, don't plant switchgrass in your hardwood planting....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Kershaw co. Sand. Transplant location is a sandy loam. Hit solid clay anywhere from 8-30" below surface.
    Why no to switchgrass? Trees will form "fencelines", so to speak, not solid blocks. Looking to add central bedding plus travel corridors with food. Im new to all of this.

The primary reason would be the intensity of a fire were it to happen intentionally or not.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Also, I would decide whether you're growing grass or Hardwood keep the two separate for management purposes in the future.

The top one is a over up oak the second a laurel oak and the last a water oak
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

All water oaks.....

Yeah, they're all water oaks.

Overcup oaks have deep leaf sinuses. Laurel oaks have a flatter acorn and more narrow leaves.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 11-04-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Site fidelity will answer the question 90% of the time....
    Also, water oaks are highly hybridized and can have significant leaf variability.

botany lingo is rad
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Kershaw co. Sand. Transplant location is a sandy loam. Hit solid clay anywhere from 8-30" below surface.
    I would also mix in some live oaks.

They are rad too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.

A friend of mine is a tree growing nut, he's grown many oaks from acorns, same with honey locusts, apples, etc, etc. He always starts them in small pots then re-pots them when they get larger. Waters them with a miracle grow mixture almost every day. Those trees grow fast, not sure how long til they start bearing tho, I can ask him. He transplants them to his property when they hit 8 to 10 feet tall and waters them if we dont get rain. They do well and its interesting to see them grow.

Frank, I'd like to pick that guys brain for a bit. I like seeing stuff grow and reproduce. Ive got a couple apple trees in the backyard Id like to propagate as well. They arent hardly fit to eat but the deer love em.

I would look at Shumard Oaks. They grow fairly fast and start producing acorns early. Their colorful foliage change is an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Frank, I'd like to pick that guys brain for a bit. I like seeing stuff grow and reproduce. Ive got a couple apple trees in the backyard Id like to propagate as well. They arent hardly fit to eat but the deer love em.
    I'll see what I can do

sawtooth oaks also grow fast and produce early

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

fyi, there's a Clemson extension right in downtown, just a couple buildings south on hwy 1 from #1 and 521. They're easy to deal with, soil samples and such.. We've got a couple different soil types on our place, our sawtooths have done great.