Thread: Friends Buck

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Friends Buck

A friend's son arrowed this one out in Nebraska yesterday. He had pictures of him and had been chasing him but never saw him live until yesterday. Shane is a high school teacher in Neb. His story is below.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
    Master Brow showed up on my trail camera back in July and he’s been my obsession this fall. I placed three different stands in a funnel trying to account for every wind direction in hopes of getting a chance at him. After several unsuccessful attempts and never seeing him on the hoof, only on camera, I was able to get out on Halloween night. Every archer knows that for some reason, Halloween always gets deer moving. Even ‘Ol Mossy horns met his end on Halloween. I bumped two does and a buck on my walk in to my stand, definitely a good sign. About a half an hour before sundown a decent buck was north of me so I rattled and grunted and he walked right under my stand. Hmmmm? Twenty minutes later I saw a doe and a couple of other bucks moving along a willow bed about 75 yards east of me and then like a dream, Master Brow appeared. He wasn’t coming on my trail like I had hoped, but he was herding the other bucks around and grunting so I figured I might as well try some rattling and grunting as well. I don’t know if that’s what did it, but he turned and came right up my trail. He paused behind three big cottonwoods and I was afraid he was going to turn and go behind me, luck was on my side and he continued straight up the trail. Breathe, pick a spot, breathe, pick a spot, breathe, pick a spot. I gave a quick bleat and he stopped, I released my arrow and knew the shot was a little high. The buck bolted and ran into a drainage ditch that splits the field. I listened for a crash or thrashing, but I couldn’t hear anything. I decided to stay in my stand for fifteen minutes and then go look for a blood trail. Five minutes later I see him walking across the field towards an unpicked corn field, my heart sank. I tried to keep an eye on him but he disappeared behind some trees so I just focused on an opening, waiting for him to walk through it so I could try to see him again. A couple of minutes passed and I still couldn’t see him. Screw it. I decided to get down out of my tree and stalk to the edge of the field. As I neared the field I could see a buck standing out there but it wasn’t him. Then I spotted a lump that the buck was walking towards, bingo, big buck down. I waited 5 more minutes and watched for movement and none came. It was a tense walk out in the field and as I got closer I could see the arrow had done its job. What a feeling of relief, excitement, and humbleness knowing that I’d been blessed enough to take down this buck of a lifetime.

Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-01-2019 at 03:21 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Grown one there

Good Gracious look the mineral sites made it all the way to Nebraska!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Good for him and great buck. I stopped reading when he named the deer
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Good for him and great buck. I stopped reading when he named the deer
    You chase one like that, you name it. You score on it, you frame it.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."