Thread: SCNDR Response to Increasing Public Usage CAT 1 WMAs

Default SCNDR Response to Increasing Public Usage CAT 1 WMAs

I inquired yesterday about increasing public usage and what movement, actions, plans SCNDR has for increasing this under utilized resource as to waterfowl CAT 1s and public draw hunts.

I received this today from the Deputy Director of Fisheries and Wildlife :

Hey David,

We are continuously working to expand hunting opportunities on our Cat 1s. Our primary focus over the past couple of years has been to repair and enhance impoundments so that we have more available locations under management for hunting. Just this past year, we sprayed a large amount of acreage at SCR to reclaim the habitat from our inability to manage specific impoundments while they were breached. We had a couple of years during the storms and aftermaths that we had to draw fewer hunters simply because we could not control the water in the impoundments. We have now recovered from that and are able to go back to what our normal numbers were. In addition, we were able to begin draws on Samworth last year and have been able to continue that for this year. While it may seem slow, we have been working very hard, and I am delighted that are making great progress. Our goal is to continue to expand quality hunting opportunities on these areas.

I am also excited about what we are doing this year with the SC Wildlife Partnership. By working with this new organization and partnering with private landowners, we are able to offer private land waterfowl hunting opportunities to our draw hunt applicants while they gain preference points in our system. It doesn’t cost the hunter anything and it gives him/her an opportunity to hunt while they wait to get drawn in our system. I am extremely hopeful this will be successful and am grateful to the private landowners for being so generous!

In the meantime, we are working to obtain more waterfowl hunting areas and obtain the resources we need to expand hunting opportunities on our existing areas.

Hope you are doing well and finding some time to enjoy the woods during the nice cool snap!

Emily
    Genesis 9;2

Thanks David.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Last edited by M.R.Ducks; 11-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Thank you for all that you are doing for public land in SC.

David thank you for what you have done brother. Your tactic of having facts and data and being polite have gone along way and are atleast responded to.Dude, there are still breaches in impounds from years ago when I talked to you, crazy. Unfortunately, I've personally seen equipment sit in the same spots for weeks, man power issue I'm assuming.

I will say one postive thing, samworth wma had one of the best dove hunts I've ever seen opening day,far better then years past.
    "Pass it on in the name of Conservation"-Tracy Byrd

Thanks for all you do!

Nice work strick!

Quote Originally Posted by dcmbsc View Post
    David thank you for what you have done brother. Your tactic of having facts and data and being polite have gone along way and are atleast responded to.Dude, there are still breaches in impounds from years ago when I talked to you, crazy. Unfortunately, I've personally seen equipment sit in the same spots for weeks, man power issue I'm assuming.

I will say one postive thing, samworth wma had one of the best dove hunts I've ever seen opening day,far better then years past.
    Partner, I believe I know every single break out there by name and date at this point in time. Some of them are certainly a wart on the end of SCDNRs nose and have been, trust me they want them fixed but say that they are not capable in house. That is something that we address with them often. It needs to be that they are capable in house. Both of the big breaks, the same that bother me to no end( the one in Middleton at Samworth and Murphy in the ICW at SCR ) are awaiting NAWCA monies to be repaired via set back dikes via subcontractor.

The Lower Middleton one at Samworth is going to require a really long interior set back dike that involves removing some Cypress etc. Pretty much the same for the Rushland break on Murphy sins Cypress.

Very frustrating , especially seeing the damage was done more than 4 years ago ( with the anniversary being a month ago today) to the day and that all the private breaks have long since been fixed.

But hey, its on the books, which is better than what we had earlier before we started working together and pushing towards solutions.
    Last edited by Strick9; 11-01-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Very frustrating , especially seeing the damage was done more than 4 years ago ( with the anniversary being a month ago today) to the day and that all the private breaks have long since been fixed.

This is the biggest issue I was alluding to in the other thread. Government bureaucracy will impede things more often than not. Also, some of the newer managers are willing to utilize the local knowledge that is available to them. Some of the plantation managers that are close to these sites, have been around for a long time, and have seen and dealt with just about every issue that can arise. All of these sites, state owned and privately owned, are dependent on each other. When one of them is having issues with adverse conditions, the others also suffer.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson