Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bored and thinking .....

Coots have always been #1 with me. I've decided to put a little more effort into coot hunting this year. I've been working closely with my dog and the idea of rallying them for maximizing the kill. I think our plan is coming together.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 10-30-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Blacks are best after you've already got a couple mallards
    Correct. Blacks, sprigs,wigeon etc are fillers if there’s mallards around
    867-5309

I really want to kill another good drake black, as I took it for granted in my youth. But, a duck hunting career is measured in mallards.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Widgeon when they do it right.

I was about to start this same thread, Nitro. I was damn fortunate when I was in Indiana to have a fairly large population of blacks imprinted and spending a lot of the season on the very limited sections of creek I had access to. As far as I could ascertain, I was one of the only, if not the only duck hunter in the area actually seeing or killing any black ducks, and I only had about 1000 yards of a small river/creek access and a small beaver pond about an hour from that. I'm thankful for that blessing and love those fat blacks, but sprigs really crank my scooter. It might be that I've only killed 2 or the fact that my first was one of the sweetest multi-circle, beautiful decoying situations I have experienced, but a big bull sprig is still at the top of my list...not to mention their sheer beauty. IDK though, I guess my favorite is the species that shows up next and wants to dance the dance, but if I could make them what I wanted...Pintails...for now.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I grew up hunting in a fairly famous Duck club near Gridley, CA. Sprigs and Wigeon were the bread and butter. At the time they were 10 point ducks. We killed a lot of them. My Grandpa rarely shot Mallards. He preferred other species. He called Mallards " Park Ducks" and it stuck with me. To each his own, but Mallards just don't excite me. I've killed them from Coast to Coast, find Arkansas Timber hunting uninspiring ( due largely to the human element), and just couldn't care less if I ever go back to AR. Probably the only Mallard hunting I enjoy now is the PNW shooting them feet down over a flooded grain pond. Picking out Drakes.

I am going to do one more Black Duck safari trip. From PEI to hopefully SC. The planning, the varying places I will target them at and the sheer beauty of the bird itself gets my blood moving. They are reluctant to get killed, live in some places that you have to work hard to get to, and holding one in your hands is to me, nothing short of amazing.

We used to have a great place to kill Cans here in GA , but the public ruined that resource too. I owe myself one more trip to Walpole.. and intend to go.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 10-31-2019 at 07:50 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My Dad on the otherhand, was no purist. He just wanted to kill em all. We went to Mexico a few times and I have photos of him standing in a stock tank with the water around him littered with dead ducks. He was a fine wingshot and he has a big smile on his face in every one of the pictures. Fond memories. I guess that is the point of me starting this thread. To remember ..

In 2000, my Dad had begun his decline due to Parkinson's. I carried him on my back out to a blind at our club in AR. (some of you may have been there or are current members) Pintails were closed that year. We lit hundreds of them. My Dad raised his A5 and counted coup. After the hunt ended, he cried like a child and said he was done. I carried him out and that was that.

Life is short.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Any Duck my pup picks up is special.

Mallards dropping through the trees

SC wood duck shoot, they sure are special.
    there is not a thing wrong with 3 woodies a day!!!

If I had to pick one duck to shoot, it would be a black duck.

Most fun to hunt - Fresh mallards in the timber on the edge of a strong front.

Most fun to shoot - a big ole wad of greenwing teal that you hear before you see.
    Formerly DM88

The suspense of a real shy decoying bird does it for me.

Although the sneak attack of a dive bombing woody through the swamp trees is probably the shot requiring the most skill.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Black duck

Black duck

Black duck

6545F3AF-F04D-4E63-BDB8-A2FBD9A7159D.jpeg
    80-20 Genaration

It would have to be pintails for me. There is something about a bull pintail. A close second for me would be an American wigeon. Mallards would be way down my list. I don’t really get the appeal of a mallard being the go to duck. But to each his own.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 10-31-2019 at 11:21 AM.

These here

Capture.JPG

I like mallard hunting the most...whether its in the timber,flooded fields,marshes out west,whatever , but I will say the ole black duck is by far my most favorite to kill . Ive killed a pile of em , usually while mallard hunting , but they never get old .
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Blacks would be #1, but if i had to choose one duck to watch work, it would be wigeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Default No particular order but

the sound of any of these dropping into the decoys is tough to beat.....especially wigeons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Wigeon, hands down are my favorite bird to work.

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Summerducks. They're beautiful birds, very fine table fare, and I don't have to deal with a bunch of assholes to go shoot them.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

One day, in a year in which I was spending nearly every day in the salt marsh, as I was reaching for a big, belly-up maritime redleg, I looked at my buddy and said "I'm tired of killing black ducks. I wanna shoot something with some color". My now self would've slapped my then self.