Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kansas

north winds in the area of KS I hunt make it very hard to hunt. we dont use ground blinds to everything is a lock on. you just pick your battles and try to stay out of the wind....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Headed to Kentucky in About two weeks.
    Bug buster: that looks like fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Good luck Stan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I just drove from one end of Kansas to the other. Crops as far as the eye can see. Why use a feeder? Not trolling, just asking. I honestly didn’t know that was allowed anywhere west of the Mississippi.

100 acre bean field vs 20 foot radius of spinning feeder? or 0 foot radius in that gravity feeder. it certainly can put deer in a smaller area to kill.

i am not sure that is an explanation or a justification but i put corn in front of cameras to get more pics, not to shoot more deer.

the point of harvesting is still population control and maybe todays hunter (read: lazy) wouldn't be as good of a control measure if they didnt use a feeder.....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-31-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Dr. We layer up big time and I wear Sitka fanatic series for outer layer, wind proof is essential.

As far as running feeders, we usually hunt toward the middle of November. The reason is most crops, corn and beans are usually cut and out of the fields. We are hunting rolling hills with fields and cow pastures. Once the crops are cut this pushes the deer into the small wood lots and cedars. We try to catch the rut but have found that the cold weather is just as important if not more. This puts the deer on whatever food is available. And to second 2th it’s gives us an idea of what we need to shoot and what we need to pass.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I hunt Iowa every time I can draw a tag. Heading out next week. IME midwestern deer are pretty easy to pattern , cut crops shrinks available cover even more. I’m just really surprised it’s a legal method, considering the concerns over CWD, and how protective most western and midwestern states are of their deer herds.
    Last edited by FLS; 10-31-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Its been slow the first few days, but its starting to pick up.Starting to see more bucks cruising, I passed on 2 bucks this morning including a decent 8 pt that would have got shot back home. Pulled cards on camera and was shocked to see a pic of a buck near my stand 2 hrs before daylight this morning, im guessing 150 class . Im texting sc swampcat a picture of buck, also a buck scoring 193 was killed just east of here yesterday. A lot of ducks around also.

Anyone having any luck this week? Been seeing alot of 2 and 3 year olds but nothing to write home about yet.

Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Its been slow the first few days, but its starting to pick up.Starting to see more bucks cruising, I passed on 2 bucks this morning including a decent 8 pt that would have got shot back home. Pulled cards on camera and was shocked to see a pic of a buck near my stand 2 hrs before daylight this morning, im guessing 150 class . Im texting sc swampcat a picture of buck, also a buck scoring 193 was killed just east of here yesterday. A lot of ducks around also.
    You’re in north or south ks?

north,near nebraska state line.

Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    north,near nebraska state line.
    Oh ok we’re near Washington kind of north central near the line

Quote Originally Posted by duckshootringer55 View Post
    Oh ok we’re near Washington kind of north central near the line
    It goes without saying, but there are some absolute giants in that area. Last hunted that area, within 4-5 miles of Washington, back in 2009 and we made a few of those giants stick their tongue out. I’ve been itching to get back ever since.