Thread: Deer Heart

Default Deer Heart

Strick9's perlot thread got me wondering.

How many of yall eat the hearts of the deer that yall kill (assuming you didn't hit it)?? I used to love to kill a deer in the morning and have fried heart and eggs for breakfast. Good stuff.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I pull them out. Had my one year old eating some last week. Pull the tongues too, but they are so small it's almost not worth the hassle.

Duck hearts and livers come out as well. Dice it all up, into a hot skillet with peppers and onions. It makes a good taco or goes well on tortilla chips.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I see too many parasites in deer to mess with the offal even though I am sure it is perfectly fine. Duck hearts and rice, though...

Ill eat a deer heart any day of the week.

2th said they were the tits!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Started taking them out not to long ago. I won’t ever let another one get my be again. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Started taking them out not to long ago. I won’t ever let another one get my be again. I was impressed.
    Yeah it is honestly my favorite part of a deer.

Never have but y'all have inspired me to pull the next one I kill and give it a try.

I have not tried it but I am thinking aging it in the refrigerator would make it even better. That is my next thing to try.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 10-28-2019 at 04:00 PM.

I got a moose heart in my freezer, it's about the size of a cantaloupe. I need to cook it sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Never have but y'all have inspired me to pull the next one I kill and give it a try.
    When you get one, you have to skin it, then cut it(top to bottom) about 3/4s of the way through. Clean out all the little tendons or whatever they are, and cut in strips. Fry like cubed steak.
    Last edited by MKW; 10-28-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I have not tried it but I thinking aging it in the refrigerator would make it even better. That is my next thing to try.
    One has never made it to the fridge at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    When you get one, you have to skin it, then cut it(top to bottom) about 3/4s of the way through. Clean out all the little tendons or whatever they are, and cut in strips. Fry like cubed steak.
    Thanks, I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    One has never made it to the fridge at my house.
    Aging it will make it better. Just like any other meat.

Its very rare that I don't eat the heart. I don't go through to much trouble with them usually. Cut them like you would a green tomatoe, use your choice of breading and lightly fry is the quickest and is delish.
    Genesis 9;2

F that! My mind won’t let me enjoy it. Call me what you want, but this Island boy would have to be tricked.
    867-5309

I eat the hearts of all sorts of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Its very rare that I don't eat the heart. I don't go through to much trouble with them usually. Cut them like you would a green tomatoe, use your choice of breading and lightly fry is the quickest and is delish.
    Same. If it is intact, it gets eaten.
    Most tongues as well, especially at camp. "Oysters" occasionally.

Not looking to start a Meateater bashing thread, as thats already been done before around these parts, but they have some great resources on how to butcher and utilize more of what we kill. I have not pulled a heart yet, but will be doing so for the next one. This guide is really well done on how to skin and clean out the valves and arteries to get a nice clean presentable piece of meat.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/bu...-venison-heart

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan413 View Post
    Not looking to start a Meateater bashing thread, as thats already been done before around these parts, but they have some great resources on how to butcher and utilize more of what we kill. I have not pulled a heart yet, but will be doing so for the next one. This guide is really well done on how to skin and clean out the valves and arteries to get a nice clean presentable piece of meat.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/bu...-venison-heart
    Yeah, that is good instruction on how to clean a heart. It's hard to explain just typing, but that's pretty much exactly how I do it.