Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't retire kid

Default Don't retire kid

Can't recall what game I was watching Saturday, but I saw this. It got me to thinking and wanted to share. If I've been mergied, my apologies.

My daughter is 8 and started softball last spring, I already see it in the parents. I can see why so many kids give it up. I can also see the kids that want to give it up, but they don't want to disappoint mom or dad. There's encouraging, then there's pushing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Sad stuff. As the head of our city optimist club I see it all too often. Kids being ruined by parents. Either parents that don’t care at all or parents who care too much.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Anyone with kids in sports these days have heard parents hitting kids with a barrage of negativity regarding performance during games and practice. Let the kids play and have fun. I have enjoyed watching mine play many different sports. Not excelling in some and doing well in others. End of the day them exercising and being outside is great in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

i try not to let shit like this piss me off....but

I was talking to a dad the other day who had the unfortunate experience of handling the chains during a hammond football game.

If anyone here goes to laurence manning academy, you should be ashamed of yourselves. The parents yelled things that were just not called for...and, lo and behold, the kids followed suit.

Believe it or not, our children are NOT born knowing how to act. Its up to the parent to lead by example.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yep, the worst part of youth sports is the parents, including coaches.

Im coaching my son's 12U football team and by and large our parents are good. I had a conversation with them at the beginning of the year about my expectations and their responsibilities.

Now we are two days away from the championship game in our division and it comes down to: 1) do we want to win? or 2) do we want to play everyone? Because playing every kid will end up costing us the game.

All Stars start next week and I KNOW what the head coach's philosophy will be.

I will say this about the kids. It is at about the 12 year old mark that you see a light come on or go out. Kids have been playing for fun their early years. Moving to middle school, the commitment to sports increases exponentially. Some kids WANT it and some dont. My oldest is wrestling with it now re: Football. He did spring practice, summer workouts, fall camp and then tore his Meniscus two days before the jamboree and hasnt suited up all year. He never missed a practice or game, except for physical therapy, all year though. He says he is ready to get back to it as soon as he is out of his brace, but Im not going to push him. I see the light flickering.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

My cousins boys play baseball 12 months out of the year for 3 different teams. They are 10 and 11. More than likely they will end up hating it before they finish high school.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

My youngest was playing tennis at a little thing at the club against another country club or team from Lexington last week. My wife told me that night about the parents of the visitors.. yelling, calling the balls and the shots, over my 12 year old daughter. I'm kinda glad I wasn't there.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-28-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Serenity Now

That shit is tacky. I instantly feel sorry for those kids. But life isn't fair anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i try not to let shit like this piss me off....but

I was talking to a dad the other dad who had the unfortunate experience of handling the chains during a hammond football game.

If anyone here goes to laurence manning academy, you should be ashamed of yourselves. The parents yelled things that were just not called for...and, lo and behold, the kids followed suit.

Believe it or not, our children are NOT born knowing how to act. Its up to the parent to lead by example.
    Why should I be ashamed if my kids go to Laurence Manning and neither them or I was at said game? There are bad apples in Every Bunch. While I do hate to hear there was a poor representation of our school, I think you worded that quite poorly 2th.

Your last sentence I agree with 100%.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 10-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Why should I be ashamed if my kids go to Laurence Manning and neither them or I was at said game? There are bad apples in Every Bunch. While I do hate to hear there was a poor representation of our school, I think you worded that quite poorly 2th.

Uppity Hammond people...

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post

bc your kids goes to school with those kids and those parents. You will not see or hear that on the hammond sidelines. I'm all for sticking up for my team, but you should dig deeper if your kids go to school there.....

others are making the point, if you are around that behavior, you follow suit.

Dig a bit deeper or go to a ball game, pharmhunter. its being talked about out there.....and not just from "uppity hammond parents."
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 10-28-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bc your kids goes to school with those kids and those parents. You will not see or hear that on the hammond sidelines. I'm all for sticking up for my team, but you should dig deeper if your kids go to school there.....

others are making the point, if you are around that behavior, you follow suit.

Dig a bit deeper or go to a ball game, pharmhunter. its being talked about out there.....and not just from "uppity hammond parents."
    I personally would not follow suit, or have any issue calling out parents on the same sideline 2th. My kids are 5 and 7 and truthfully we've only been to 2 home games this season because life has been busy. I spend most of that time chasing them around and talking to other poor, rednecks from Clarendon County. I haven't witnessed any such behavior at those home games.

If it's indeed being talked about "out there" I don't mind bringing it to the attention of some folks.

Again your logic of all inclusion, condemnation of the school is rather flawed.

Mine play rec baseball, they’d rather hunt, fish and shoot than deal with a bunch of spoiled, entitled shits, we’ll my oldest anyway. By youngest doesn’t give damn, kid can stroke a baseball but he’d rather ride something with a motor than anything else.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

OK. I give up. I think others mentioned something about the kids acting like the parents....or not wanting to play travel ball with a certain coach who yells alot. kids see that and think its OK to act that way. I was giving an example. No one has to listen. but it does shine poorly on the entire collective. I guess thats another point. I'll stop now.

I hear you, G....

nevermind
    Last edited by Highstrung; 10-28-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: upper case

I get it. I never disagreed with your point Doc. It's a good point and a shame to see. I don't even have a desire to go to the youth baseball fields to see my niece's and nephews play for the same reasons. If so I try to get as far away from the Parents as possible. My oldest didn't want to play coach pitch and I wasn't the least bit upset.
    People are always gonna people.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 10-28-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: can't spell

I can never understand parents pushing their kids to do activities that will interfere with hunting seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I can never understand parents pushing their kids to do activities that will interfere with hunting seasons
    Amen. It kills me why anyone would want their kid to play travel ball too. Giving up every Saturday and Sunday to go watch 10 year olds play ball? That's borderline insanity

Crazy to see parents push kids to participate in sports at such a young age plus playing one sport for an entire year. Professional athletes do not even participate year round. Best thing to do is allow them to participate in multiple sports but be mindful of the coaches that do not know jack about the youth sport they are coaching. A bad coach can turn a kid away or hurt a kid in the future with the way they teach them to perform certain motions. Biggest thing I see year end and year out is kids who are injured before the season even starts here at the school I work at. Mainly in baseball and softball due to the kids playing throughout the summer and winter then taking a week or two off then playing high school ball. I have talked to some kids with recurrent shoulder and elbow problems and they have been playing baseball softball year round since 8 years old. Thank goodness we have a decent baseball staff here and the coaches do not preach year round baseball and know what the heck they are doing. Yet some parents think that there kid has to play one sport year round.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Last edited by everlast; 10-28-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams