Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CFP Discussion

Default CFP Discussion

I'm just dumb enough to attempt to have a somewhat intelligent conversation about football in the sports forum. Here Goes:

My top 4 right now, I would have:
    1) Ohio State
    2) LSU
    3) Clemson
    4) Alabama

The next group in some order is UGA, PSU, OK, and Oregon

To my eyes, of the contenders, Ohio State and Clemson appear to be the strongest on defense. OSU has NFL dudes all over their defense, and especially at DB. Arnette and Okudah are lights out, and Chase Young is really tough to deal with. Clemson is blitzing from everywhere, and is developing into a great defense. While yesterday was no test, it was a nice look at how Clemson's undersized 3 man front could hold up against a power run game with play action(and without XT). That is what OSU is right now.

LSU has a very good offense, but I am not sure about their D. I feel the same way about Bama (assuming Tua comes back). I think LSU/Bama is a high scoring game, but I think LSU's D will make enough plays/force turnovers to win the game. I think Tua will be hobbled enough, if he plays, that LSU can get to him and win a 38-31 kind of game.

IF Bama loses without Tua, they will get the 4th playoff spot, and show up rested/pissed. I worry about their ability to run the ball when they need to. Their O-line isn't as dominant as years past, and I haven't seen them dominate lesser opponents on the ground.

Penn State is not a factor right now, but if they can continue to improve, and they beat OSU, they will be in. UGA can win their way in, but I don't think they have the receivers to make teams pay for stacking the box against their run.

Oklahoma would need some serious turmoil to make it in. They won't have another chance to impress, unless you are impressed by them beating Baylor twice.

Oregon, meh.

I do believe that Clemson looks to be working towards playing their best football at the right time. I think Clemson's best football is the best in the country, but it remains to be seen if they can play their best when it matters.

Gonna be fun to watch
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I agree with your top 4, but I still question Lawrence’s decision making. I saw a few passes he threw that he shouldn’t have, that a better secondary may have picked off. Now whether it’s the coaches telling him to throw it and hope the 6’4” receiver corps will get it, or he’s not seeing the field and forgetting he has the option to throw it away, I’m not sure.

Seems to be the same movie and script playing out as last season, just a different scene.

LSU is number one for me. By far the most “quality” wins

The Ohio State.

Then Clemson/Alabama. We’ll know a lot more about Alabama in a couple of weeks after the LSU game. Every year people say they are vulnerable and then get proven wrong, except for what Clemson did to them last year.

Clemson is a top 4 team but hard to know where given we have not seen them play much of a schedule.

After that there is a real drop off in my opinion.

The beauty of college football is the next several weeks could (and likely will) change the makeup of who people perceive to be the top 4 considerably.

When do the first official rankings come out?

I'm not talking to you until you move Ohio st from your personal top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    LSU is number one for me. By far the most “quality” wins

The Ohio State.

Then Clemson/Alabama. We’ll know a lot more about Alabama in a couple of weeks after the LSU game. Every year people say they are vulnerable and then get proven wrong, except for what Clemson did to them last year.

Clemson is a top 4 team but hard to know where given we have not seen them play much of a schedule.

After that there is a real drop off in my opinion.

The beauty of college football is the next several weeks could (and likely will) change the makeup of who people perceive to be the top 4 considerably.

When do the first official rankings come out?
    I agree that LSU is most deserving of the #1 spot. I ranked the teams based on my opinion after watching them. I have some concerns about LSU's defense, and OSU's D looks like they can give you a tough day. IF LSU can run the table, it would be a damn impressive 13-0.

I think the rankings come out after next week's games
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

7 holes tonight and we'll have another record.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'm not talking to you until you move Ohio st from your personal top 4.
    That aint happening unless they get beat. Their run game with Fields/Dobbins can bail them out if they are having a bad passing day. I do think Clemson could show Fields some stuff that would make him pretty Jittery.

But 1st. It's like whatever

Fire Ray Tanner.

That is all...

So far I’d have
    LSU
    OSU
    BAMA
    CLEMSON

Thus far, by who they‘be played that how I see it.
    That said, does Auburn playing LSU close mean they’re better than we think, that LSU is slightly overrated, or that both are pretty good?
    If LSU is as advertised that has to mean that Auburn is better than we thought. If that’s true, BAMA, and UGA are in trouble when it comes to Auburn, and BAMA with LSU.
    Ohio St.’s only test will be Penn St. we’ll see how that goes. Right now as much as I hate to say it looks like the country’s most complete team. If , PennSt could beat them the Lions would have to be in the conversation.
    Oklahoma is done. They may lose to Baylor.
    All Clemson has to do is win the games they should and they’ll be in. Probably at a 3 or 4 seed. They’re improving by the week. The defense is aggressive and fast , but I’m curious to see if the undersized D-line can hold up against a team that can run power and pass enough to challenge them. Probably won’t know until the playoff. I thought coach BOOM had turned the corner a couple of weeks ago and may be a good measuring stick. I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I do think Clemson could show Fields some stuff that would make him pretty Jittery.
    NeedleDogSmall.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-27-2019 at 01:35 PM.

I hope UGA, Bama and LSU has a loss and one gets left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    I hope UGA, Bama and LSU has a loss and one gets left out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL...I laughed. Bravo.
    Seriously though...Bama or LSU will certainly have one loss from playing each other, but one of those 2 will get in the CFP. And, as bad as it pains me, I suspect UGA will likely have 3 losses.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    LOL...I laughed. Bravo.
    Seriously though...Bama or LSU will certainly have one loss from playing each other, but one of those 2 will get in the CFP. And, as bad as it pains me, I suspect UGA will likely have 3 losses.
    Clemson started this run with a strong roster and generational QB (Watson). They have built on that success, and now have the depth to go toe to toe with the big boys. Each of those 4/5 stars that Clemson has signed would have formerly gone to UGA/Bama/LSU/OSU. Clemson has improved, and taken away from those teams.

I think UGA has the talent to run it out if they can develop a downfield passing threat. OK losing yesterday probably gets 2 SEC teams in the tournament.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Uga is one of the most talented teams in the field of contenders. They let the best qb walk and only lack coaching

Lets say LSU wins out as SEC champs. Bama has 1 loss, no championship. Would they still make it in over a 1 loss big 12 champ in OK? Or what if Baylor wins out as big 12 champ? Does Bama get in over undefeated big 12 champ? What if Penn St wins big 10? 1 loss Ohio St or 1 loss Bama?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    Lets say LSU wins out as SEC champs. Bama has 1 loss, no championship. Would they still make it in over a 1 loss big 12 champ in OK? Or what if Baylor wins out as big 12 champ? Does Bama get in over undefeated big 12 champ? What if Penn St wins big 10? 1 loss Ohio St or 1 loss Bama?
    Yes
    In
    No
    In
    Bama

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    7 holes tonight and we'll have another record.
    Tiger has 82 wins

They will find a way to put bama in. I think bama beats lsu in a tight game
    You could mix up the top 3 anyway you want and stick Clemson at 4 just because of schedule. I like baggys lineup
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid