Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB AR style deer rifle

Default WTB AR style deer rifle

Not going to pretend to know anything about these type guns because I’ve only shot one a few times and that was to feel the rush of the bump stock it had.
    Looking to get the boys one for Christmas and with buying 2, I’m looking in the $500 range each. I’ve read a little to think I need at least a 300 Blackout or 308 AR10 to deer hunt with. I’ve got some 223 bolt actions and know I don't want them using that for deer and from the prices I’ve seen the AR10 308's will most likely be out of my pay range.
    My question is....Should I go with 300blacks for hunting/fun shooting....OR just keep on using our deer rifles(308/30-30) we have and get AR15 223 for the fun shooting.
    I know the oldest is wanting something else to hunt with other than my old 30-30 and was hoping to pass my 308BLR the youngest uses to my dad since his Rem7600 is getting a little cumbersome to carry with his hand and shoulder issues.
    School me in what direction to go....
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

7.62x39.

But personally I would buy them bolt guns.

You're not restricted to .556, .308 or .300BO. You have many other options, including 6.5 and 6.8 configurations. I love my 6.8SPC and my son uses it for deer hunting. I have a .300BO, but it is not an ideal caliber for deer hunting- its primary use is as a large caliber to run suppressed, but the jury is out on effectiveness of the subsonic bullets on deer at any appreciable distance. If you are going to shoot it supersonic, there are better options. If I were you, I would look at 6.8 or 6.5 options.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    7.62x39.

But personally I would buy them bolt guns.
    I have other bolt guns in 270 and 30/06 they can use but just wanted the AR style to fun shoot along with deer capability.
    The oldest boy is small framed and isn’t ready for those heavier bolts I already have.
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

x2 for 6.8SPC

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    You're not restricted to .556, .308 or .300BO. You have many other options, including 6.5 and 6.8 configurations. I love my 6.8SPC and my son uses it for deer hunting. I have a .300BO, but it is not an ideal caliber for deer hunting- its primary use is as a large caliber to run suppressed, but the jury is out on effectiveness of the subsonic bullets on deer at any appreciable distance. If you are going to shoot it supersonic, there are better options. If I were you, I would look at 6.8 or 6.5 options.
    Thx. I’ll look into those other calibers if they’re in my price range. Having 2 boys a year apart and involved in the same activities has always had me buying two of everything. It wasn’t that bad when they were chaps but at 14/15 the toys have gotten more expensive!!

I suggested 7.62x39 because of your price range ($500) and because I have one and it is effective at 150yds and under. I dont know if the 6.5 and 6.8s can be had in that price range(they could not when I was looking).

The Grendel is a great caliber too

do the 450 bushmaster

Those threads about walking up on one that’s still alive must have got you nervous. I prefer ARs for fun shooting and protecting liberty. A nice wood bolt/lever gun is a great heirloom. In my backseat right now is a 308 Rem 700 and a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem from 1973. Going to sight them in this afternoon. Both were given to me by my Grandad. He swapped my Model 7 in 7mm-08 for the 308 when i got older, and i desperately want it back, but I think he gave it to a different family member.

Just bought a PSA assembled lower with the same goal in mind

If you do decide to go AR, 300 Blackout and 5.56/223 use the same everything, except barrel.

Default WTB AR style deer rifle

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    If you do decide to go AR, 300 Blackout and 5.56/223 use the same everything, except barrel.
    Same mag?
    Edit: think I answered my own question, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 10-24-2019 at 01:38 PM.

It can be but they make specific ones now labeled for 300blkout
    Last edited by Biggie1976; 10-24-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    It can be but they make specific ones now malted for 300blkout
    Yes, but definitely not necessary. The round was developed with the intent of only having to swap barrels and possibly buffers, depending on application.

Black guns are the quick fletch of deer rifles.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Those threads about walking up on one that’s still alive must have got you nervous. I prefer ARs for fun shooting and protecting liberty. A nice wood bolt/lever gun is a great heirloom. In my backseat right now is a 308 Rem 700 and a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem from 1973. Going to sight them in this afternoon. Both were given to me by my Grandad. He swapped my Model 7 in 7mm-08 for the 308 when i got older, and i desperately want it back, but I think he gave it to a different family member.
    Not really. I haven't even thought about that but I have thought about opening it up on a drove of hogs if they came in! Every rifle\shotgun I have with a few exceptions are pass downs, The boys already have a few keepsake guns(they all are to me) just wanted something a little different.
    I come up running dogs in Horatio\Hagood Swamp and then in Westville, I've cut a many throat just trying to keep from using anymore of my buckshot.....so them jumping up hasn't crossed my mind, although I do try to pay attention as I walk up on them.

I was just making a joke, I’m sure you’re capable. If we had hogs my 300 Blackout would travel with me to do exactly what you described.