Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The story

Default The story

So this is what lab humper was referring to......

I want to preface this by saying that I’ve probably killed 75 deer in my life, missed maybe a handful and had maybe 5-6 run more than 15 yds.........this wasn’t my first rodeo......well maybe it was considering the circumstances. Many have laughed in the past 72hrs at my expense.

Sunday afternoon I took my 3 yr old daughter on her 2nd deer hunt ever. I don’t expect much with her and honestly was just hoping to see a deer while in the stand with her this year.

So we get to the stand and she decides she isn’t climbing up, too scared. She’s climbed every other stand we’ve got...... Whatever, I tote her up. Go back down and get my rifle, binoculars, her snack bag and her stuffed lamb and bunny.....don’t ask.....

By the time I get back to the top, SHE’S CRYING. Ready to go home. After informing her she had got to be quiet, she loses it.....I’m talking there wasn’t a deer within 3 counties didn’t hear her. So I take her in my lap and tell her she’s got to calm down before I can carry her back down.

10 minutes go by and she’s down to sobbing......and a SIX POINT walks out at 70 yds. I’m shocked at this point.

Knowing my chances with her are limited at this age I had made the decision before ever taking her the first time that the first buck that walked out that wasn’t a baby was getting shot......at least that was my plan. So I ease her back in her chair so she can watch him with the binoculars and grab the rifle. Then.....BLAM BLAM BABABLAM......she drops the binoculars. I look up and the buck is stairing at us. After a 10 second stair down he goes back to eating.....(I swear).

As I’m raising my rifle it dawns on me, in the midst of all this........I never loaded my damn rifle. Shuck one in.....we are good. Look at her to make sure she’s got her ears covered and then lean into the rifle......(in her normal voice) “”DADDY ARE YOU GOING TO SHOOT IT”......damn

Deer runs 25 yds and stops. I check her, ears covered, draw on deer quickly and fire........COMPLETE MISS. Hops in the woods and walks off.

At this point I give up.......

She climbs back in my lap and starts eating snacks. 10 minutes into that......”She starts IM DONE. I WANT TO GO HOME”. I talk her into a few more minutes and then a few more.

A doe and two fawns walk out.......thank you Jesus!!! Something to entertain her!!

She watches them and gets to see the babies play and learns to freeze when the momma is looking.

Then it happens...... Out of the right corner of my eye I see some coming through the woods and immediately know that we’ve got a shooter. I get her attention and boys the kids eyes about popped out her head. He was at 30yds when he came out and she thought he was an elk. I know at this point, she is hooked! Right behind him was a smaller buck.

I give her a minute to watch him and then she sits down, covers her ears and watches him drop where he stands. I about came out the stand with excitement. She was tickled to death excited!!!

We FaceTime her mom and give him a few minutes before we climb down.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS GOOD......

As we start to walk to him I see him lift his head......wtf. So I decide that we will go get the 4wheeler first. By the time we get back he’s half back to life and proceeds to get up on his front knees facing us....... I stop the 4wheeler 15yds short and he falls, spins around and does the same thing facing away. I walk up to 5 yds and put a 9mm in the back of his head. He falls. I step back and notice that he is STILL BREATHING. 30 seconds later he lifts his head.......seriously at this point I’m in disbelief. So 9mm to the ear hole. THE DAMN BULLET FRAGMENTS AND TAKES HALF THE RACK OFF!!!!!!

(If you look closely in the picture you’ll see the chip out the right side, the rack is put together with wood screws.)

Help arrives we load him up, take pictures and to the processor we go.....last adventure.

Everything goes smooth there till we leave..... My daughter loses her mind again. “I DONT WANT TO LEAVE MY DEER. I WANT TO TAKE HIM HOME!

What an adventure........I’d do it again in a second. She’s asked me about going at least 3 times the last two afternoons.

8pt 155lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buckshot1224; 10-23-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    **2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Awesome story! Tell her about it often so it's well remembered.

Good job, Dad!

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

You should join in on the poor bullet performance thread.

That was a great read! I know the frustrations all too well with the kids. Haha

You're a brave man! My 3yr said he wanted to go with me, but told me straight up he wouldn't be quiet. After our turkey hunting experience this past spring I believe him 100%.

Good job Dad. Great story y'all will both remember.

Awesome and great story! I think it's great when I see parents taking their kids hunting. This world definitely needs more of it. Seems all these kids do nowadays is play travel ball and playstation. Good job Dad! Cant wait to see the pics when she kills her first!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Just awesome
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story but just goes to show you that we give deer way too much credit....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

LOL that's an awesome story! I have a little 3yo girl too and she's eat up with it. Making Memories good work.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Great story but just goes to show you that we give deer way too much credit....
    Kind of like ducks too, if you are where they want to be, it's almost easy.

Great hunt and a memory made, I can't wait to introduce my daughter to the outdoors.

great story. never ceases to amaze me what can happen. great memories w your kid. well done
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

One for the books that's for sure!! Way to keep your composure dad!
    GENESIS 1 : 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good stuff. My son did the same thing at the processor with the first deer he saw killed, so he settled for cutting the foot off and taking it home. His momma wasnt happy when he rolled in the house waving half a leg around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

awesomeness!

I've said it before and all aspiring dads need to hear it. You dont take your 3 yr old "hunting." You take them into the woods and hope you get to "hunt." As much as I used to like to deer hunt, it was frustrating when we did everything BUT hunt. So, plan accordingly and just let nature takes it course.

Sometimes you get lucky....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Great story and a nice buck- you now have a good luck charm to take hunting

This story was definitely better than the milkshake. Thanks for sharing.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Good story. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's wrapped.

I love it, congrats on one you’ll never forget.