Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter wheat for doves and deer

Default Winter wheat for doves and deer

I had a friend call that had several hundred pounds of winter wheat he never got to top sew in October due his tractor being broken down. I got his tractor fixed for him and he's wanting me to plant it for him in several places on his farm. We're wanting to use it on several plots for deer only, and on a couple of fields for 2nd season dove hunts. What's the best way to go about doing this? I was thinking about discing up and broadcasting the deer plots this weekend now that we've finally gotten some rain to loosen the ground. Reading the Attracting Doves Legally report from Clemson, it looks like we can broadcast 200 pounds per acre. Should I wait closer to the opening the 2nd season to broadcast it for the doves? And for the deer plots, do we need to drag it after broadcasting?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My understanding is top sewing is just that. A well prepared seed bed is required but not dragging and in my opinion the 200lbs is subjective. How the hell does anyone know how much you broadcasted. They gone go out there and pick it all up and weigh it.

200 pounds is a lot. if you sow it now, it will germinate well before the second split. that will not help a dove. the rules also state the latest possible date you can "plant" wheat so watch out for that date.

as for food plots for deer....make dirt. sow wheat. drag. it will turn green and maybe a deer will eat it.

IMO, you arent helping a deer or a dove much with either plan.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    200 pounds is a lot. if you sow it now, it will germinate well before the second split. that will not help a dove. the rules also state the latest possible date you can "plant" wheat so watch out for that date.

as for food plots for deer....make dirt. sow wheat. drag. it will turn green and maybe a deer will eat it.

IMO, you arent helping a deer or a dove much with either plan.
    As far as I can tell, the latest day allowed to plant legally is November 30th. So if that is correct, I would top sew for doves a week or so before November 16th. Either way the seed is already at the farm and he wants it used.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Cracked corn and a cpl bags of wild bird seed mix.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    How the hell does anyone know how much you broadcasted. They gone go out there and pick it all up and weigh it.
    Its actually pretty simple using a little math. Do it from time to time to make sure my machine is calibrated and spreading correctly.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 10-22-2019 at 03:01 PM.

yep...its advanced math, but its still math.

Sowing wheat doesn't attract doves. If anyone wants to argue with me about that, I'm game.

Scoutlover--i understand the deal. You got seed and you wanna use it. You're gonna put some in your dove field and plant some deer plots with the rest. I could've made you happy and agreed with you.....but I didnt. I would top sow 50pounds in a couple of clean strips in the dove field around Nov 1 and see if it holds some doves. I'd keep putting 50 more pounds out each week till the third split (if you had doves). If no doves ate my wheat, I would save the rest for next year and not put any in a deer plot.

That's what I would do. Good luck.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Be sure to put up signs so the deer and dove go to the proper plots.

I know it sounds funny to word it like that, but in some fields the purpose would be for it to cause deer to feed long enough to judge and get a shot and the other fields it wouldn't matter if it grows because it's just there to keep the doves fed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Its actually pretty simple using a little math. Do it from time to time to make sure my machine is calibrated and spreading correctly.
    Does not say it has to be evenly spread. So roping off and doing calculations isn’t going to mean shit in a court of law.

I think what he was saying is that, how is a rabbit sheriff gonna know if you broadcast 200 or 400 lbs/acre? There’s really no way to prove that.

But I may be wrong. It’s happened before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I think what he was saying is that, how is a rabbit sheriff gonna know if you broadcast 200 or 400 lbs/acre? There’s really no way to prove that.

But I may be wrong. It’s happened before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It my understanding that there can be but so many seed per square foot. May have make a call to clarify
    80-20 Genaration

Plant cracked corn and call it a day

Get a silage cutter and you can have all the legal cracked corn u want

The throw a ring in the field count the seeds inside that area. Random test a few spots. There is an excepted variance if you exceed it, your baiting.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    The throw a ring in the field count the seeds inside that area. Random test a few spots. There is an excepted variance if you exceed it, your baiting.
    I find it hard to believe that, that would hold up in a court of law

It’s random sampling, how much of science is proven with any study.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

I would not top sow all of the wheat you're planning to use for doves at once.. break it up like 2th mentioned.

If you want to use wheat for deer, use it as a filler, and mix up a couple few things in it..

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I find it hard to believe that, that would hold up in a court of law
    Doubt it all you want, but I’ve seen a game warden do just that, although it was back when broadcasting wheat was legal. Still, you could only have it so thick back then.

What the game warden will write a ticket for and what will actually hold up in court are 2 totally different things.