Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GP mills closing

[QUOTE=Palmetto Bug;2671862]What has caused the relatively recent trend of stuffing raw logs into shipping containers to ship overseas? Is there some special tax treatment for raw wood compared to finished lumber products? It just seems inefficient to me. A lot more wood will fit in a box if it is in squared shapes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Sawmills in the US don't cut metric lumber and its way cheaper for the Chinese to use their cheap labor and low regulatory environment to saw lumber.

I was told by a Chinese log buyer that a sawmill in china is just 100 small bandsaw mills with three men working each saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Here’s a news flash, logging is not easy
    One of my best friends is Mike and Bobby Goodson, same age and from same neighborhood growing up.
    A very wealthy 3 or 4 generation of logging family in eastern NC. Mike and I were roommates for awhile, his brother Bobby
    only does logging in swamps and wet ass places around Wilmington area mostly. Bobby actually was featured on one of the logging reality TV shows for a while.
    I worked with them on and off once in awhile when I would come home on breaks and such from college and whenever I needed extra cash.
    That is the hardest work I have ever done in my life, get up early as shit, crappy help doesn't show up, equipment breaking down, everything is hot and greasy and dangerous as hell around that machinery, trucks and equipment stuck in the mud and then on Sundays (only day off), these two go out and service the machines (filter oil, grease fittings, hoses, etc). And moving that worksite constantly is another story. They know nothing but hard work and beating up their bodies. I have mad respect for logging folks
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-23-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Tariffs are hurting some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    This should make most of y’all happy. You will see loggers that won’t make it through all of this. I hate it because my livelihood depends on them, but all you assholes that swear every logger and timber company are the scum of the earth should be rejoicing to hear this news
    Everyone talks shit about farmers or loggers until they have to eat or wipe their ass............

I love loggers. They tear a ton of shit up. I get to weld it fixed, on the side no less. And when I say tear shit up, they really tear shit up. All the ones have dealings with are good people. Busy and exhausted, but good people.
    Last edited by Baggy; 10-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.

gp lost alot of their residential shares/profits to bluelinx and wayerhouser......bad management decisions from the top down