Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP mills closing

Default GP mills closing

GP McCormick CNS mill and Allendale OSB will “idle operations” at both sites due to “overall market conditions”
    Production will continue for up to 60 days.

Hate to hear this... I wonder specifically what market condition(s) steered this decision?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

i'm gonna hazard a guess it was supply and demand.

they got lots of wood and it aint worth much.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

That is coupled with Westrock shuttering 1 of 3 paper machines in Charleston. The wood outlook aint great...
    cut\'em

Residential Construction has been trending down up to 3 years depending on the region. This is a contributing factor.

Savannah Construction Trend.JPGSavannah Construction Trend.JPG

Not good news at all, sad fact for those that depend on this for a living .

I have a couple loggers as clients, I am sure this will affect them some how

Another Sad thing is a lot of deer hunting leased properties will go up for sale if this lasts long

Hopefully just pre elections jitters
    Last edited by tprice; 10-22-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Hate to hear this... I wonder specifically what market condition(s) steered this decision?
    inventory on hand + production forecast being much greater than the sell thru of their product.
    Companies don't tie up money in inventory like the old days.
    Now, the thinking is more like "lets run what our sell thru rate is", better technology is giving much better forecasting

Probably can be expected at other GP mills as well. No word yet that I have heard. It's supply and demand driven.

This should make most of y’all happy. You will see loggers that won’t make it through all of this. I hate it because my livelihood depends on them, but all you assholes that swear every logger and timber company are the scum of the earth should be rejoicing to hear this news

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    This should make most of y’all happy. You will see loggers that won’t make it through all of this. I hate it because my livelihood depends on them, but all you assholes that swear every logger and timber company are the scum of the earth should be rejoicing to hear this news
    There isn't anything good about it. I have a lot of good friends that log and some on here I have become good friends with that buy and sell timber too.

McCormick mill has had very little if any capital invested that I’m aware of in a long time. I think this may have been in the works since the new mill in Warrington GA was announced. They are not really that far apart 50 miles or so I think.
    As for the OSB mill word on the street is finding decent people to work may be a large part in that decision.
    Either way it is all bad and will every one in the state working in the industry will be affected one way or another.

G-P paid $400,000,000 for new OSB operations less than 10 years ago. This shuttering is due to too much competition in the space and the Asians.

Also, if anyone wanted to bring a class-action lawsuit for the cancer claims in Alabama/Georgia(can't remember which state), the Monsanto trial should give Koch all the reason they need to reinvest elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Who here hates loggers? Name them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    What he asked! There may be some scattered bitching about so much of the big old hardwood stands that we used to hunt in as kids now being in perpetual pine crop rotations, but I didn't think anyone on here hates loggers or timber companies...it's life, and they are capitalists trying to make a living.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

For those in the know, have I been under a rock or are we lately exporting a lot more timber? Really noticed it past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    For those in the know, have I been under a rock or are we lately exporting a lot more timber? Really noticed it past 2 years.
    Been happening for years. Took a nose dive for a while, cranking back up again for certain products.

What has caused the relatively recent trend of stuffing raw logs into shipping containers to ship overseas? Is there some special tax treatment for raw wood compared to finished lumber products? It just seems inefficient to me. A lot more wood will fit in a box if it is in squared shapes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Take the time and read what you quoted that I said. It doesn’t say anywhere in it that anyone here hates any logger. I get so sick of the belly aching and bitching about loggers from people who own no property or have no personal experience. Most of these stupid bitchfest are hearsay from the local country store. Here’s a news flash, logging is not easy