Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swing and a miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Not a trap Mr. Grumpy

2C7037D7-C2A6-41D9-999A-E792A61E8CDB.jpeg
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Really enjoyed your video, Glenn. And while I hate to see you miss one, it did make me feel better in that while I'd expect that of myself, I felt a bit relieved that it can even happen to someone of your skill level.

It would be interesting if you'd include some video of your setup itself in the tree. That is, how you have your gear set up along with your saddle, etc. I'm used to either a Summit climber or a ladder stand, so seeing the 'dark side' would be informative.

Good luck today!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Thanks, man. I don't know about that skill level stuff. The hunt I uploaded today flies counter to that label for sure.

There's a slight learning curve to the saddle but once you get a routine/procedure down and figure out where you like everything it flows really well and is just a deadly set up. You will never be more hid/concealed as you are in a saddle.

The one stick method just pushed me over the “buy it” edge. I’ve lived the concept, but until now, I didn’t see this offering a big enough advantage over my lone wolf. That looks simple, slick, light, and quick. Thank you sir!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    There's a slight learning curve to the saddle but once you get a routine/procedure down and figure out where you like everything it flows really well and is just a deadly set up. You will never be more hid/concealed as you are in a saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    The one stick method just pushed me over the “buy it” edge. I’ve lived the concept, but until now, I didn’t see this offering a big enough advantage over my lone wolf. That looks simple, slick, light, and quick. Thank you sir!
    Serious question since I've never used a saddle...

Have those of you who are using them actually kept any records of kills vs wounding vs misses - rifle or bow? If so, what are your logs really showing you? If you're not keeping them, why not?

I ask because I know how easy it can be to change to a new process, procedure, system or equipment and be excited about it, but not realizing for quite some time that your new gear or process doesn't really give you the same results. This can apply to a new bow that you really want to like, new golf clubs that one might be convinced are better, but actually increase your handicap over time, or a new rifle that looks so accurate it takes awhile to force yourself to realize that you aren't killing as many deer as easily as you used to, etc, etc.

My first impression after watching the saddle video (which I realized I've watched other similar videos about them before) is that while the initial climb and set up may be easier, and you may be hidden better from at least the front direction, it seems like it would be much harder to bend forward at the waist to keep your body perpendicular to your bow shot, and especially if the animal is close or to your off-side or rear. A rifle shot with your hand resting against the tree is probably pretty stable for forward shots, but I'd think you'd be doing more off-hand shooting to the side or rear with a body twist. The body twist with a bow seems like it would be even more awkward.

Just musing, but, Glenn, I'll admit that your two 'misses' got me thinking, because I don't believe in all these years I've ever read or heard of you making a bad shot, and two in a row, with the saddle being the new twist, makes me wonder.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Glenn...

What kind of platform? Pic?

The doe was just a misjudgment of yardage. Nothing cryptic about it. The spike was to my right/weak side and I was canting the bow, not keeping it level and I was shooting left as a result. I’ve since fixed that issue by A) being aware of it and B) positioning of my platform and stick in a way that if there’s a no shot area it’s to that side. With some minor position adjustments I can shoot 270+ degrees from my strong side.

Good question though. It takes getting used to. The positives far outweigh the negatives. And the negatives are solvable problems that have been solved.

Platform is a secret squirrel prototype. Stick too. I can’t show em unless the manufacture gives me permission.

Both are better than anything being sold commercially.

Would lineman's spikes work with the saddle vs. using a stick? Is the stick safer than climbing spikes?

First I've ever seen of this setup. I hunt light and like the idea of this rig!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks use em. I never have. And can’t imagine anything safer and easier than one stick and a platform.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its ok. i dont need one. I'm sure they are awesome but I still dont need one.

Seems like a lot of ropes and stuff.

I got a different drummer.....
    It’s not for chunky lazy folk. Don’t wait by the mailbox for an invitation to the party.

It’s not for chunky lazy folk. Don’t wait by the mailbox for an invitation to the party.
    Careful fella. I’m a little chunky but I’ve got my saddle and platform. Ive got to spend a little more time working on the one stick method, in the meantime I’ll take my rope and shimmy up a tree in a heartbeat seeing as how I enjoy that method a little more right now. It’s fun getting to rappel down after hunting.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

What kind of platform do you use chucky

I carry one stick and a platform.
    Gotcha, I guess once you get used to it one might be able to boogy up pretty good with that method. Are you limited in shooting angles due to the plat form size and your tether rope tension if the deer comes to your offhand side? More so or less so than say a summit climber?
    Last edited by Strick9; 10-22-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Serious question since I've never used a saddle...

Have those of you who are using them actually kept any records of kills vs wounding vs misses - rifle or bow? If so, what are your logs really showing you? If you're not keeping them, why not?

I ask because I know how easy it can be to change to a new process, procedure, system or equipment and be excited about it, but not realizing for quite some time that your new gear or process doesn't really give you the same results. This can apply to a new bow that you really want to like, new golf clubs that one might be convinced are better, but actually increase your handicap over time, or a new rifle that looks so accurate it takes awhile to force yourself to realize that you aren't killing as many deer as easily as you used to, etc, etc.

My first impression after watching the saddle video (which I realized I've watched other similar videos about them before) is that while the initial climb and set up may be easier, and you may be hidden better from at least the front direction, it seems like it would be much harder to bend forward at the waist to keep your body perpendicular to your bow shot, and especially if the animal is close or to your off-side or rear. A rifle shot with your hand resting against the tree is probably pretty stable for forward shots, but I'd think you'd be doing more off-hand shooting to the side or rear with a body twist. The body twist with a bow seems like it would be even more awkward.

Just musing, but, Glenn, I'll admit that your two 'misses' got me thinking, because I don't believe in all these years I've ever read or heard of you making a bad shot, and two in a row, with the saddle being the new twist, makes me wonder.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Thanks.
    I wondered the same thing. I’ve been toying with the idea for many years, but I didn’t want to be carrying a bunch of sticks etc. The straight rope climb method would have me sweating my ass off, so that’s a no go. From all I’ve read and heard, if you practice with it...really take time and practice maneuvering with it, you can position yourself well for a shot just about anywhere the deer decides to walk. I’ll be flinging instinctive trad or primitive, so I know it’ll take a pile of practice...will either buy or make a ton of arrows and fashion a huge quiver or get really good at going up and down the tree.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    What kind of platform do you use chucky
    Predator platform with mantis saddle
    Got for a good price from a guy on archerytalk.
    Ive got several hawk helium sticks but prefer the SRT method.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Gotcha, I guess once you get used to it one might be able to boogy up pretty good with that method. Are you limited in shooting angles due to the plat form size and your tether rope tension if the deer comes to your offhand side? More so or less so than say a summit climber?
    You can ease around the tree and keep the tree between you and the deer. You don’t have to stay on the platform as you can “walk around” the tree or just pivot your feet on the platform to get to your off hand side.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I guess to get off the shot you then press your feet against the tree kicking yourself out more and increasing the rope angle so that your bow arm and bow clears the tether rope? Makes sense now.
    Genesis 9;2

You’re all gonna die.

Not my video but it gives you an idea

He’s a fucking douchebag