Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tractor?

Default Tractor?

I'm in the market to buy a multi purpose tractor for our farm. Need a Bush hog, box blade, disc, and bucket. What's the best all around small tractor to get it done. Sand land in Swansea.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

John Deere 5055 4x4 with a bucket. You can typically find them used for pretty decent prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Are these package deals they sell worth a crap? What's a good hp etc.

How big is your farm? How many acres do you want to plant?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

It's about a 30 acre field. Just looking to plant food plots and let other parts of the field grow naturally and now new growth as needed. But if I has to bush hog the whole field I'm sure it would take forever with a small tractor

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Are these package deals they sell worth a crap? What's a good hp etc.
    I wouldn’t mess with anything under 50 hp. And I’d honestly stay away from most of those package deals. And I don’t care what anyone says...stay the hell away from Kubota. I have a John Deere and a kubota and that damn kubota isn’t worth the fuel it’d take to set it on fire!

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I wouldn’t mess with anything under 50 hp. And I’d honestly stay away from most of those package deals. And I don’t care what anyone says...stay the hell away from Kubota. I have a John Deere and a kubota and that damn kubota isn’t worth the fuel it’d take to set it on fire!

Also I would piece it together. Used JD 5055, new woods brush bull 5ft bush hog, used box blade and disc

FCB2C8EC-3AAE-4D44-9126-47ED4C9A52D9.jpg

For a part time, I won’t use this tractor to turn a dollar it’s hard to beat an old ford 3000. Not comfortable, but has the weight and power to pull most anything and they can be had cheap. I did 25.2 acres with the drill and another 6 with the disc over the last few weeks at my club. A decent option if it’s for recreational property.

I have a Kubota L3800 with 5 foot bush hog, 6 foot disc, planter, 6 foot tiller, box blade, and bucket. It does everything we want it to do plus some.

I can honestly say the tiller very seldom comes off after the initial bush hog cut.
    More fuel = more boost!!

75 hp JD with a cab. A cab.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

There are several times during this drought and heat I wish I had a cab.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    FCB2C8EC-3AAE-4D44-9126-47ED4C9A52D9.jpg

For a part time, I won’t use this tractor to turn a dollar it’s hard to beat an old ford 3000. Not comfortable, but has the weight and power to pull most anything and they can be had cheap. I did 25.2 acres with the drill and another 6 with the disc over the last few weeks at my club. A decent option if it’s for recreational property.

This. One of my buddies have one of these, older but simple to work on. I use it at Daughter/SIL 45 acre tract of land to do just what you described. Bushhog when stuff gets to thick/tall and make my food plots for the 1 stand I have out there. He also uses it for his hunt club stuff as well. Other than that he lines up a few bushhogging jobs for his teen boys to do, they love just riding it. I think he picked his up for $5K with Bush hog and disco.

Another guy I hunt with has one as well but little newer that has a bucket. He paid about $10K for his with almost brand new bushhog

JD dealership in Ridge Spring have tractors that just came of lease to peach farmers. Typically 250 hours on them. Fully serviced when turned back in. You get the reduced price, remaining interest free financing, and warranty.

Anything under 75 id go with a Kubota.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

you are gonna get so many opinions, coot.
    Set a price range you are comfortable with and look in that range.

My dad did more with small tractors than most people would want to do. When others became in charge, we got a big, cab tractor. I dont ride that thing. I'm sure its nice with a radio and AC but it doesnt fit into some places I need to go. Is it nice in a big field that is already captured? Sure.

Would I want it to use everywhere on a small tract? Hell no.

So, I guess I vote for a sub 75hp tractor without a cab. As far as implements, they are disposable. It doesnt really matter which ones you think you need. IMO.

everyone needs a bushhog and plow....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    75 hp JD with a cab. A cab.

Second a cab...but went with Kubota
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

pto tillers are real nice though, they make everything so pretty so quick.

The only time I think about a cab is spraying chemicals.. so I just do it early in the day when one can handle a proper breathing apparatus and full clothes.

There is a nice, what appears to be a Ford 3000 outside Swansea on 6 headed towards St. Mathews between Beaver Creek and Glover Chappel roads I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I have a l3400 and L4800. They will do everything I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?