Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bands

Default Bands

I’ve always had pretty good luck with em and fairly normal to pick one up every other season.
    This year I killed a greenwing on opening day, and a hybrid black in January.

Unusual they were banded in the same location... Anybody else got 2 or more from the same site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Killed a pair that were banded in kingsville 3 years apart. And they paired up that winter because the greenhead was banded in Saskatchewan the same week she was banded in kingsville

Last season, a friend and I both killed banded wood ducks within a week of each other from the same refuge in Ontario. His was killed in Calhoun County and mine was in Horry. Like your two, they were banded a year or two apart.

Not multiple bands but I thought it was crazy that a while back, dhall shot that double banded blue bill on a farm pond around here with the titanium test band and if I remember the timing correctly, there was a pretty good chance I was in Iowa and helped with or put the band on that bird...
    Last edited by dubs; 02-10-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Formerly DM88

I have terrible luck with bands, only one on my lanyard from the US. In my club, we're around 2,000 birds total since it's inception, 3 bands total out of all of those birds.

We did have a pretty cool one this year. A speck that travelled from the top northwest corner of the NW Territories. 2,800+ miles if I remember right, and it was 11+ years old. I was on the hunt, but was not the shooter unfortunately.

Also,

Shot two geese on hartwell one year that were banded near Columbia 10 years prior to being shot. Male and female with consecutive band numbers. That was a tight bond!
    Formerly DM88

The only consistency I have with bands, is that I will lose the coin flip.

I did kill one in Alberta this year, banded in Nevada.
    All due to geography, but it was odd to me seeing a bird banded 1200 miles SOUTH.

Really cool.

Cypresneak - I’ve walked out and picked up a couple ducks that you killed.

Banded wood duck in 07ish
    Banded Teal?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Killed a pair that were banded in kingsville 3 years apart. And they paired up that winter because the greenhead was banded in Saskatchewan the same week she was banded in kingsville
    That’s just plain Golden Horseshoe stuff there.

Killed one in Canada about 5 miles from where it was banded 3 months later killed one in AR that was banded on same site at same time
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by CYPRESNEAK View Post
    I did kill one in Alberta this year, banded in Nevada.
    All due to geography, but it was odd to me seeing a bird banded 1200 miles SOUTH.
    Killed one in Saskatchewan last year that was banded in Northern California. Not sure about how far it is but a ways
    80-20 Genaration

I've only got about 5 to my name but I don't believe I've ever run the numbers to see where they were banded at. Killed a few banded geese on Moultrie, a banded mallard on the Cooper, and a banded mallard in Alaska. I used to kill a pretty dang good average number of birds each year and have hunted all across the country. How you boys seem to get so lucky with shooting bands is beyond me! I guess y'all just have that golden horseshoe that I haven't come across yet! I can't believe I never picked one up out in California with as many banded birds that get recovered in the area that I used to hunt!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Many from the same sites in Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania, etc.

My favorite was one that was banded by one of you SCDUCKERS in 2004 this day...

5 years later, sitting in our swamp blind, this one came sailing in...

That’s really cool.

Wildest story I’ve heard was last year a buddy with USFWS bands in Canada every fall.

Something like 5000 birds up in the boreal forest.

He banded a widgeon way the hell up there in August, and killed the damn thing in Louisiana 3 months later.

Gotta be the only cat to do that.

My bad, killed in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I killed two banded at Nemours that made it alllllllll the way over to the Ashepoo

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    That’s really cool.

Wildest story I’ve heard was last year a buddy with USFWS bands in Canada every fall.

Something like 5000 birds up in the boreal forest.

He banded a widgeon way the hell up there in August, and killed the damn thing in Louisiana 3 months later.

Gotta be the only cat to do that.
    That is awesome!

In 2001 we killed 7 SCWA banded mallards in a week in AR. 4 out of one flock and 3 out of another 4 days later.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

That was still when they had a truly wild daddy.

haha jab killed a spoonie

bog--that place is big. likely banding a large area. i think gbelly or his son killed a teal from there too. sometimes you will see the same "bander" but its actually a different area alltogether.
    the FF was hatched after bunn and I and others had bands from linesville, PA.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 02-10-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.