Thread: Need ideas for local HS Touchdown Club

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need ideas for local HS Touchdown Club

The Anderson Touchdown Club is one of the if not the oldest TD Club in state of SC. However it is struggling to get new members and so many of the existing ones are getting 70+ years old.

It has always met on Friday at lunch at Anderson County Library and we recognize local players/Coach of the week and always have a guest speaker . We also have a weekly pic em contest and winner gets $50 and worse loser gets a “custom made mini toilet “ with $5 in quarters

Admission is $10 each week and lunch is by Moma Penn’s.

I have just been asked to serve not the board and trying to come up with ideas to rejuvenate this club

My first suggestion is we are going to move it to our new Anderson Institute of Technology (new career center for Anderson School districts 3,4,& 5) which has a big event room with technology so we could show highlight clips of players

Wondering if maybe Wednesday or Thursday at lunch would be better than Friday’s?? I know it is tough for me to make it on Fridays some times and lot of folks will work through lunch to leave early for weekends or travel to HS football games ??

Speakers, one issue I see is we have a lot of the same speakers every year. In fact Danny Ford spoke today and if you know Danny at all he tells it like it is. He said “Hell I don’t why y’all keep having me here since none of these kids know who I am and lot of their parents do not either. Plus I have not coached in so long and y’all are so old I have old you ALL my stories “. Funny but it is true

We do have Marcus Latimore coming Nov 8th which I think we go over better with younger crowds.

Some of the speakers we have every year (Danny Ford, Mike Ayers (former Wofford Coach who is GREAT), Coach Pugh from SC State, Leo Mazzone (former Braves pitching coach) etc. In other words lot of the same speakers every year but their is not a big budget to bring “big names” in

We have around 200 members and most times the room is fairly full but I have noticed as the HS season goes along the crowds drop too.

Not sure if anyone here attends a local TD club but just looking for ideas so we can keep honoring these kids each week. The money made goes toward scholarships for students as well
    Last edited by tprice; 10-18-2019 at 02:46 PM.