Thread: Need ideas for local HS Touchdown Club

Default Need ideas for local HS Touchdown Club

The Anderson Touchdown Club is one of the if not the oldest TD Club in state of SC. However it is struggling to get new members and so many of the existing ones are getting 70+ years old.

It has always met on Friday at lunch at Anderson County Library and we recognize local players/Coach of the week and always have a guest speaker . We also have a weekly pic em contest and winner gets $50 and worse loser gets a “custom made mini toilet “ with $5 in quarters

Admission is $10 each week and lunch is by Moma Penn’s.

I have just been asked to serve not the board and trying to come up with ideas to rejuvenate this club

My first suggestion is we are going to move it to our new Anderson Institute of Technology (new career center for Anderson School districts 3,4,& 5) which has a big event room with technology so we could show highlight clips of players

Wondering if maybe Wednesday or Thursday at lunch would be better than Friday’s?? I know it is tough for me to make it on Fridays some times and lot of folks will work through lunch to leave early for weekends or travel to HS football games ??

Speakers, one issue I see is we have a lot of the same speakers every year. In fact Danny Ford spoke today and if you know Danny at all he tells it like it is. He said “Hell I don’t why y’all keep having me here since none of these kids know who I am and lot of their parents do not either. Plus I have not coached in so long and y’all are so old I have old you ALL my stories “. Funny but it is true

We do have Marcus Latimore coming Nov 8th which I think we go over better with younger crowds.

Some of the speakers we have every year (Danny Ford, Mike Ayers (former Wofford Coach who is GREAT), Coach Pugh from SC State, Leo Mazzone (former Braves pitching coach) etc. In other words lot of the same speakers every year but their is not a big budget to bring “big names” in

We have around 200 members and most times the room is fairly full but I have noticed as the HS season goes along the crowds drop too.

Not sure if anyone here attends a local TD club but just looking for ideas so we can keep honoring these kids each week. The money made goes toward scholarships for students as well
    Last edited by tprice; 10-18-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Get ECU come to speak
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Hookers and blow, and get Sportin to come tell some stories about his peepaw.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Hookers and blow, and get Sportin to come tell some stories about his peepaw.
    Shit I will drive from CLT to come to that.

Have you thought about partnering with a local titty bar?
    Men love titties and money has been known to flow around them
    Last edited by ecu1984; 10-18-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Honestly starting to wonder if this is one of things that is just dying out every where, very few left anymore.

Sad but times change I guess

I went with a buddy of mine to their Touchdown Club meeting in Houston. There were 300+ people there. They charged $10 to get in their pickem contest, and they partnered with a local Chevy dealership, and the winner every week rolled off in a brand new pickup, which they drove for a week, and someone else would win the next week. Had big magnets on it that said something about the local TD club, picked winner.... etc. I thought that was pretty cool. They also had highlights of the “player of the week” and they sold sponser tables to local businesses. About half of the tables in there were reserved for business. It was a well oiled machine

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    I went with a buddy of mine to their Touchdown Club meeting in Houston. There were 300+ people there. They charged $10 to get in their pickem contest, and they partnered with a local Chevy dealership, and the winner every week rolled off in a brand new pickup, which they drove for a week, and someone else would win the next week. Had big magnets on it that said something about the local TD club, picked winner.... etc. I thought that was pretty cool. They also had highlights of the “player of the week” and they sold sponser tables to local businesses. About half of the tables in there were reserved for business. It was a well oiled machine

Thanks.

We have some sponsors , in fact 1 is a local Nissan dealership . But our membership is only $50 for year and $10 each week which is for meal

Something to go on though.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Have you thought about partnering with a local titty bar?
    Men love titties and money has been known to flow around them
    Guess you have never been to Anderson LOL
    Last edited by tprice; 10-19-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Never heard of a touchdown club until this thread
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Never heard of a touchdown club until this thread
    That may be the issue to be honest. OLD school pretty much. Neat idea and Anderson TD Club is one of the few remaining in SC

I know Sumter still has one. Not sure how active it is, but they meet every week I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I know Sumter still has one. Not sure how active it is, but they meet every week I know.
    Because Sumter still has the old families there and hasn't grown a lot in the last 40 years. Just about everything is in the same place as it was in the 80s. SHS is almost 40 year old, yet I still call it the new Sumter high school. Lowes has moved locations 4 times since the late 70s, Walmart has moved twice. Anybody else in Sumter change locations? Cant think of much.

Talked with our AD last night at Westside before the game, He had funny look and said he to be honest most of shut down

His thoughts are it is hard to get any speakers since college coaches are so busy and all you end up with a retired coaches that have been away from the game

We even had one of the Bostic brothers from Clemson and Washington Redskins speak and he was great and gave a lot of insight into the NFL but again problem is most did not know the NFL palyers he was talking about other than those of us that are 40+ yrs old

And honestly I think more than anything it is just the times we live in

Kind of like what was said about Sumter, Anderson has grown a LOT but still same old regime there every week and majority are like long Anderson Cnty folks for most part

Heck I have noticed it is not uncommon for players of week to not have any family there just there with coaches for most part , I would say about 1/2-2/3 of players have some family there but then again they only come that one time and that is it
    Last edited by tprice; 10-19-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Try changing up the catering. No one wants to eat the same thing every time, no matter how good it is. Plenty of eating joints in Anderson. Good food really does make a difference. Give members a discount on the pic em if they bring someone new with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Try changing up the catering. No one wants to eat the same thing every time, no matter how good it is. Plenty of eating joints in Anderson. Good food really does make a difference. Give members a discount on the pic em if they bring someone new with them.

That has been mentioned. Mama Penn’s always caters it , not knocking them but same ole stuff but again I am not sure of budget . Be nice to have some Circle M BBQ and some different things if you ask me.

Thanks for the input, I will bring this up