Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Culling Doesn't Work...

Just wait until they find out you can DNA test them and find out if Bambi is the father, or the son, or the uncle.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-17-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    SW338 is your man for that, I remember he had a thread on it a while back
    I found this thread about minerals he started and he mentioned protein
    https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...-to-in-a-hurry
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Just wait until they find out you can DNA test them and find out if Bambi is the father, or the son, or the uncle.
    Read the article. They already are. Which is how they know SW is full of beans and culling doesn’t work no matter your goals.

Full disclosure: I didn’t read the article.

I was more so speaking about how some of these fellas might start carrying blood cards on hunts and having them analyzed in order to take their “management game” to the next level.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    This is what makes turkey hunting great. The trophy is the hunt, and you don’t really know what you have (spurs) until you walk up to him.
    Agreed....
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I think my sister-in-law did some work on that study as well. It wasn't her main research though.

https://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/about/em...oral-candidate

The lovely and sweet Miss Belser. Good people.

Culling to change genetics has been busted for a while. Reading their culling methods seemed pretty extreme anyway... Of course, it is different in STX. If you have a place and you do cull some type of buck, it is less deer you have to feed. Just know, you will never change the genetics on your land.

Protein is the king. Basically, you are not going to be able to feed too much. Once you get the deer eating it, they will eat all you can afford to put out. We get ours from Orangeburg. I forget the numbers, I think it is 33-35% protein? The more you buy, the better price you get. Only problem is, it cannot get wet and it really does not save well. If you decide to do it, run a barrel feeder with a gravity head. To start them, pour in 50# of corn. Then 50/50 corn protein. Finish with a bag of protein. They will start by picking out the corn. You will know when they figure it out tho. That pile that they made on the ground will be gone and your feeder will be really low. Start Jan 2nd. Get it to them. You could start Dec 1st, but your bucks will go nocturnal. Feed it as long as you can afford. Try and get through April into may. They start slowing down then anyway.

Our club is a little different but when we started, the first year we went from killing a 200# deer every now and then to every single buck was 200#+. It makes a tremendous difference.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog