Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culling Doesn't Work...

They had a video on that study on their website or somewhere else. Very cool study with positive findings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I’ve been saying that for a while! If you shoot a buck younger than 3.5-4.5 in the name of management and “culling” you are lying to yourself. You just wanted to shoot that buck. And that’s fine but the idea of “bad genetics” is a ridiculous excuse for shooting a young deer. Now a 3.5 or 4.5 with messed up or sub par antlers that has had messed up or sub par antlers for consecutive years is a different ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I’ve been saying that for a while! If you shoot a buck younger than 3.5-4.5 in the name of management and “culling” you are lying to yourself. You just wanted to shoot that buck. And that’s fine but the idea of “bad genetics” is a ridiculous excuse for shooting a young deer. Now a 3.5 or 4.5 with messed up or sub par antlers that has had messed up or sub par antlers for consecutive years is a different ball game.

Read that article. The highlighted portion of your comment was addressed there as well to some extent. Also there was another study recently released that stated the health of the doe at conception/birth is a major determining factor of the size/health of the buck throughout his life. Plus, those does account for 50% of the genetics. Another article cited a study that most breeding is done by younger bucks and most bucks will only have 2-3 of their male offspring make it to adulthood over their entire breeding life.

If culling is to work, the criteria would need to remove bucks with lower breeding values while leaving bucks with higher breeding values to make more fawns. But the family trees revealed a brick wall: antler size was not correlated to breeding value. Therefore, you cannot predict the breeding value of a buck by looking at his antlers.

This buck has the highest “breeding value” out of 2,503 bucks in the study, meaning he produced large-antlered offspring. But his own antlers were only average. He grossed 123 inches at age 6˝.
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-17-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Read that article. The highlighted portion of your comment was addressed there as well to some extent. Also there was another study recently released that stated the health of the doe at conception/birth is a major determining factor of the size/health of the buck throughout his life. Plus, those does account for 50% of the genetics. Another article cited a study that most breeding is done by younger bucks and most bucks will only have 2-3 of their male offspring make it to adulthood over their entire breeding life.
    I just read the majority of it. That’s very interesting. That 6.5 year old with only 120 some odd inches of antler with the highest breeding value really caught my attention. I guess it’s just like humans in that just because your father is short and fat doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t be y’all and skinny.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Good thing they covered his face, anonymity being as important as it is and all these days.

"culling" is just a convenient excuse for someone who wants to shoot a deer.

I dont apologize for wanting to kill stuff.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and that deer is alive, hence the blindfold.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and that deer is alive, hence the blindfold.
    You're a genius, Gump.

I will “cull” a screwed up 3 year old, not because I think he will have a negative effect on the deer herd. Just for the fun of shooting a deer if it looks like he won’t be anything special the next year. Like this one, 3 1/2 year old 165 pounds and nothing but a 3 point. It’s just an excuse to shoot a cool looking deer. 52C7CE80-761C-45D3-B937-F4070DF6A18D.jpg

In an open population like nature no it doesn’t. In a closed population like a herd of cattle, yes it does work.

Depends on how much control you have over your deer population. Outside of a high fence, you’re wasting your time.

Edit: Smilee beat me to it.
    Last edited by wskinner; 10-17-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I will “cull” a screwed up 3 year old, not because I think he will have a negative effect on the deer herd. Just for the fun of shooting a deer if it looks like he won’t be anything special the next year. Like this one, 3 1/2 year old 165 pounds and nothing but a 3 point. It’s just an excuse to shoot a cool looking deer. 52C7CE80-761C-45D3-B937-F4070DF6A18D.jpg
    How do you know he wouldn’t have been anything next year? How do you know that his genetics won’t produce bigger deer than him?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    "culling" is just a convenient excuse for someone who wants to shoot a deer.

I dont apologize for wanting to kill stuff.
    Similar to killing coyotes and thinking they're making a dent. They're not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I know I'm sick of the whole notion of "quality deer management". When the boys got old enough to start hunting, I quit worrying about "trash bucks" and "cull bucks" and whatever other dumbass terms people are putting on deer that are in their minds "inferior". We shoot what we want, when we want. I don't want my kids or my wife looking at an animal they've killed and feeling as though it's not "good enough" in some peoples minds. My only rule is this, if it makes you happy, shoot it, and don't apologize for it and if anybody gives you any shit about it, tell em to kiss your ass.

Since we've adopted this policy, The boys have killed several year and a half old basket racked bucks, I killed the hell out of a little 5 point with the bow as well #NBK. No noticeable difference in the number of large, mature bucks on trail cams in that time, and we've killed 2 of the biggest deer ever taken off our place in the last 3 years. One was 5.5 and the other was 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    How do you know he wouldn’t have been anything next year? How do you know that his genetics won’t produce bigger deer than him?

I didn’t say anything about his genetics, I’m sure genetically he was perfectly normal and had no effect whatsoever on other deer. He looked about the same the previous year just slightly smaller due to an injury, I assume he was hit by a car.

I think my sister-in-law did some work on that study as well. It wasn't her main research though.

https://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/about/em...oral-candidate

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Read that article. The highlighted portion of your comment was addressed there as well to some extent. Also there was another study recently released that stated the health of the doe at conception/birth is a major determining factor of the size/health of the buck throughout his life[/B]. Plus, those does account for 50% of the genetics. Another article cited a study that most breeding is done by younger bucks and most bucks will only have 2-3 of their male offspring make it to adulthood over their entire breeding life.
    This to me sticks out the most in several different studies.
    *Healthy fat does with good nutrition produce big bucks*

I shoot what I want when I want if it’s mature, 4.5 or better. This one ain’t much to look at but was 5.5. Want more buck to look at then work on your buck to doe ratio. If none of it matters to you then keep on rolling

5.5 170lbs
    88B558B5-960E-4ABA-B080-EFB6FEF323EF.jpg
    80-20 Genaration