Thread: Opioions

Default Opioions

I have a hankering to build a new rifle. I am torn between a .243 Win and a 7mm-08 Rem. I already have a long range 7mm Rem Mag. The build will be a woods rifle. Which caliber? Thanks for your opinion.
    Last edited by Gregory; 10-16-2019 at 07:00 PM.

A woods rifle? What will be the longest shot you can imagine, and how heavy is the average cover?

My initial thought is that neither of those are good 'woods' calibers. I'd be thinking more in the likes of a 35 Rem or 45-70, assuming you're talking primarily deer and/or hogs.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

What constitutes a build in your eyes?
    .260 maybe?

Woods rifle?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Good Lord look at my spelling. I have an old 700 Varmit .243 Win to use. Blue print action, rebarrel, new trigger, new stock, bed, cerakote, etc. It will either be .243 or 7mm-08. When I say "woods", I mean short, light handling. Truck gun may be a better description. I built my 7mm RM to shoot heavy high BC bullets. If I go .243, I will use a barrel twist for 100 grain bullets. The 7mm-08 would use 140-160 grain bullets.

An 18” 308 with the 178 eld xs is a stupid deadly combination.

I am in the process of building a 16.5” 6.5x47L on a Curtis action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    .260 maybe?
    Why everyone in SC doesn't own one baffles me.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

.308 is still probably one of the best cartridges out there in a short action rifle. Plenty of power for deer and hogs.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

*please keep in mind this is being posted by someone with double digit dedicated turkey guns, so excuse my hypocrisy

Why do you need to build a rifle to shoot inside 200 yards?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Good Lord look at my spelling. I have an old 700 Varmit .243 Win to use. Blue print action, rebarrel, new trigger, new stock, bed, cerakote, etc. It will either be .243 or 7mm-08. When I say "woods", I mean short, light handling. Truck gun may be a better description. I built my 7mm RM to shoot heavy high BC bullets. If I go .243, I will use a barrel twist for 100 grain bullets. The 7mm-08 would use 140-160 grain bullets.
    Not sure I'd spend the money on blueprinting if it's going to be a "woods gun".

For as .243 or 7mm-08, I'd go 7mm-08. Just my

Unless you’re dead set on a build, just go buy a Model 7. That sounds like what you’re trying to build anyways. The have a new one that comes from the factory with an HS stock. Drop in a Timney trigger and call it a day. If you were looking for an odd caliber truck/ woods gun like a .358 Winchester or .338 Federal, I can see a rebarrel, and if you’re going to rebarrel you might as well have the action trued. For a 7-08, there are a ton of good factory rifles that will cost a lot less and do what you want. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    *please keep in mind this is being posted by someone with double digit dedicated turkey guns, so excuse my hypocrisy

Why do you need to build a rifle to shoot inside 200 yards?
    Because I want to. Also, thinking it could be a backup gun for trips. Leaning towards 7mm-08.