Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying Squirrel

I had one for a while. It flew off a bookshelf and "dive bombed" my mother, while she was cleaning. A window was opened, and it was swept outside.

It was a cool critter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Attachment 50117

They’re cool critters, I personally don’t shoot them but Jake got hold of this one before I could stop him. We come across them a few times per season. This particular day there were two in a hole in the ground at the base of an oak tree but most times they’re in a dead pine, 12’ or so tall with the bark falling off
    Must be some ferocious little suckers. He really did a number on that glove.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

They make great pets, especially the females. My kids grew up with flyers in the house. They also grew up with an albino cat squirrel and a gray fox in the house.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I had all kinds of wild animals as pets growing up but my favorite was my flying squirrel in the 60's. Mine was so tame that I could even take him outside and he would jump in trees and come back. The coolest thing was taking him to Show & Tell at BC #3 Elementary now known as George I. Pair in West Columbia. The entire school would gather around the playground and I would stand in the center of literally hundreds of kids as I balled him up in my hand and threw him as high as I could. He would glide in circles and land on my head or shoulders every time. I was a baseball pitcher and could throw him really high and he seemed to love it. Now it would be on YouTube and available for everyone to watch.

I also had 10-12 Fox squirrels in a pen. Some were very friendly and some would bite the hell out of you if you tried to pick them up. My father made a wheel for them to run and get exercise in. One of the big old squirrels liked to lay in the bottom of the wheel and the younger squirrels would get in and still run and jump over the bigger on when they came to him. The old one would be going around and around for hours. My mother sold flowers and clients would pull up a chair and watch that for a long time.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

My dad had one as a pet and it was definitely cool but if my dad acted like you were hurting him that thing would pitch a fit.

dont people call them "boomers?"
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    I had all kinds of wild animals as pets growing up but my favorite was my flying squirrel in the 60's. Mine was so tame that I could even take him outside and he would jump in trees and come back. The coolest thing was taking him to Show & Tell at BC #3 Elementary now known as George I. Pair in West Columbia. The entire school would gather around the playground and I would stand in the center of literally hundreds of kids as I balled him up in my hand and threw him as high as I could. He would glide in circles and land on my head or shoulders every time. I was a baseball pitcher and could throw him really high and he seemed to love it. Now it would be on YouTube and available for everyone to watch.

I also had 10-12 Fox squirrels in a pen. Some were very friendly and some would bite the hell out of you if you tried to pick them up. My father made a wheel for them to run and get exercise in. One of the big old squirrels liked to lay in the bottom of the wheel and the younger squirrels would get in and still run and jump over the bigger on when they came to him. The old one would be going around and around for hours. My mother sold flowers and clients would pull up a chair and watch that for a long time.
    A pet squirrel wouldn’t have made it long around me.

But I had a deer named junebug, he was pretty cool. Had him for about about 6months, would bottlefeed him and he loved raisins
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Come on, it had to be posted after Mobetter's story:

Dum Spiro Spero

First sighting as a kid was one splayed out on our bug zapper! I missed the firework show.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post

How did you get the fox squirrels? I have always wanted a yard full of them.

When I started hunting, a relative owned a large track of land about 5 miles past White Knoll High School and it had huge stands of large pines which is what you need for fox squirrels. He also grew the biggest canes I have ever seen. My father, grandfather and my relative would cut a cane that was roughly 50 feet long and trim it up. We would carry that into the woods, find a nest in late February and stick the cane up into it and shake it and the babies would fall out. We would try and catch them with a burlap bag as they fell. That is how I got my flying squirrel also but with a shorter cane. I would not do something like that now as I am sure we may have hurt or killed some along the way. Fox squirrels are awful special to me now and I am lucky that both my private land and hunt club have large populations of them. I do not ever allow anyone to shoot them at either place. Sometimes I will have as many as 7 playing around me when in a stand.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

They are softer than velvet.
    Hunting outside the box

I had one for a couple years as a kid. Found him in our fireplace one morning. I built him a bad ass cage out of a set of bookshelves and he would also roam the house. Cool critters.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

They really are cool little bastards.....the ones that are tame are a lot of fun . Got a big ass buddy that weighs about 350 pounds that's terrified of em......some of yall know Big R. If he gets in a stand that's got em in it , he will have a melt down...and we got a lot of em in our big stands
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Never had any flying squirrels although I wish I did. I had a couple snappin turtles though they we're good pets.

terrified of a squirrel?

I'm not sure I would've admitted that....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    dont people call them "boomers?"
    In the mountains they have a smaller squirrel that they call a "pine squirrel" or "mountain boomers"
    They sometimes red and super fast.

I killed a flying squirrel by accident as a teen, I was really sad after I saw what I had done.
    Cool creatures